Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:10 PM   #1

Default Trial Photos with new DMC ZS7

Taking some trial photos with my new Lumix DMC ZS7. I have a couple of questions. My previous camera was a Canon PowerShot G7. I'm not sure if I'm just needing to adjust to the different camera. I hope I can figure out how to attach a couple of photos.

1) Seems like the LCD is showing a very clear "picture," but when I take the picture, the playback of it looks cloudy and maybe yellowish. When I upload it, it is not as clear as it looked in the LCD when I took it.
2) Some of the photos blur (like around my husband's face in the photo of him at his desk, if I can figure out how to attach it).
3) Sometimes it looks like I was far away when I took the picture, when in reality I was fairly close (as in the example of the daybed with the teddybears on it).

Okay, I think I uploaded the files, but I may have resized them too small to be helpful.

The camera shop manager set up the camera for me, as he thought I would want it. All of these were taken while on Intelligent Auto. Do I need to change some settings or just get used to it?
Attached Images

bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Barbara-

The first photo does not look very sharp and it is slightly under exposed. The second photo is helped by the ambient sunlight coming through the window or perhaps sliding door.

The built-in flash on the ZS-7 is really not very powerful at all. The best Flash Range* you can expect is 9 to 10 feet. So you can see that the Flash Range of the camera here is the limiting factor as well.

With my ZS7 when I need to be any further than 9 feet I use an accessory Slave Flash unit to increase the available light for the ZS7. The Zeikos brand Slave Flash that I purchased for $14.95 works quite well and adds the need light when you are anywhere beyond 9 feet.

Use "P" Mode with the ISO set to "Auto ISO", be sure that the camera has achieved full focus, and if not using the accessory Slave Flash unit be at 9 feet or less with your ZS7.

I have attached a photo of the Slave Flash attached to the camera

Sarah Joyce

* Flash Range is the distance measured in feet from the camera to the subject.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:08 AM   #3

Okay, this makes sense--I will try the P mode, with ISO setting, and remember the flash-distance information. However, I don't understand even the simplest "photo lingo." So, while I might have recognized that the first photo is "underexposed," (maybe...), I do not know what that means, or what I could've done to correct it. So, I think what I understand you to say is that the underexposure problem that might occur on the ZS7 could be compensated for by NOT using the Intelligent Auto setting, but rather by something like setting it to P, with Auto ISO. Am I starting to "get it"? (I don't want to use an external flash, sorry.)
bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:56 AM   #4

Barbara-

Let's make it really simple:

For Shots When NOT Using Flash:

Under Exposure= the photo is darker than desired and shadows are muddy making details hard to see. Solution= use plus Exposure Compensation (refer to camera manual)

Over Exposure=the photo is lighter or whiter than you desire, details are smudged. Solution=Use minus Exposure Compensation settings (refer to camera manual)

For Shots When Using Flash:

Under Exposure=the shot is darker than expected, details are smudged and lost. Solution=move close to the subject so that more light is projected on to the photo scene from the camera's built-in flash unit.

Over Exposure=
the shot is lighter than expected. It looks bleached out. Details are lost. Solution=get more distance between camera and subject.

Flash Range=the maximum distance, measured in feet, between the camera and the subject. On the ZS7 the Flash Range is just 9 to 10 feet. Therefore anything more distant well be under exposed and the photo will appear darker than desired.
Solution=if you have to create more distance between the camera and the subject, to include everyone in the photo, such as in family or group situations, then you going to have to use an accessory Slave Flash unit to increase the light available for your photo because you are in excess of the Flash Range of your ZS7 camera. please refer to the photo attached to my previous post showing a Panasonic ZR1 with a Zeikos brand Slave Flash attached.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote