Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1

Default is this a defect?

I really like my new Panasonic ZR1.
Problem: As of late, I get a thin, vertical line that moves all over the screen. It appears sporadically, but lately, with more regularity. I thought is was a draining battery, but at fully charged, behaves the same way. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your help!
Tatiana
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:02 AM   #2

If it's still under warranty, I'd contact them about it. Any kind of "lines" running over your LCD is not normal.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3

I agree with Clint. You definitely need to talk to Panasonic about that line. It sounds like there's a loose or faulty connection to the LCD screen, by my half-educated guess. There's no way for the average consumer to fix it.
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Third agreement. The camera should go in for warranty repair. A line on the LCD screen is not normal.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:01 AM   #5

Tatiana I agree 100% with all the ab ove. But may I ask, does this happen only before you take a photo, or during a video? Has the line come out in any photos?

I only ask to ensure it's not the well known "feature" of these cameras, to display a line on the screen if a direct or reflected light source hits the lens.

Greg :-)
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:43 AM   #6

Thanks, chillgreg! That is EXACTLY (...display line on screen if direct or reflected...) what happened once with my fz38! Is it something to worry about, or we just get used to live with it?
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7

No need to worry, apart from the annoyance factor. It is inherent in any camera (any brand etc) that uses a "CCD" type sensor. Some new cameras that use the other main type of sensor , the "CMOS" as it is known, do not get these lines at all (but may have other drawbacks)

Bear in mind that although the lines show on the screen during preview, they will not appear in your photos, but they will remain in any videos you shoot. With a bit of practice and recognising the cause you can avoid this phenomenon most of the time by changing your position slightly or the camera angle.

All the best
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:10 PM   #8

Very interesting, the shots were taken outside on a bright sunny day. Maybe it was just the sunlight and water from the pool.
Hmmmm. something to investigate further.
Thanks for the info!
Tatiana
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote