Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #91
Administrator

Yep... a Hoya HMC filter was rated number 1 in the tests lenstip.com performed.

http://www.lenstip.com/113.15-articl..._HMC_UV-0.html

But, how a given filter interacts with a specific lens can come into the equation, too. Lenses with larger front elements tend to be more problematic, and sometimes you can see other problems caused by them. For example, see the posts in this thread where it appears that filters (HMC Pro in this case) were causing AF issues. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, Dave tried the camera with and without them to confirm they were causing a problem.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...tml#post964040
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:35 AM   #92

Brownie i am in Tyne & Wear.
Might look for better lenses, Hoya is sounding good. Perefer to buy one good one as opposed to several cheap ones - am i wrong?
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:53 AM   #93

Considering the initial investment in a decent camera the little extras are relatively cheap enough in themselves (filters, case, SD cards, spare battery), but added together they do increase your investment quite a bit. However, considering I just came back from a holiday where in 17 days I took the equivalent of 88 rolls of 36 exp film you do appreciate that after the initial spend digital photography involves little further cost. If like me, you will be keeping the camera you have now & ignoring annual upgrades to new models then it does make sense to invest a little more in decent filters. Apart from UV/Protector & Polarizer the only other really useful one is an ND (Neutral Density) - after that you have all the PC facilities to tweak images.

ND filter will help to get those great pictures of "silky" flowing waterfalls by allowing much slower shutter speeds. I had hoped to use the 49mm filters from my SLR with a step-up (46-49mm) ring but sadly it will not then allow the lens to retract properly. So now am aiming for an ND filter then I stop spending.

With my SLR I have a set of 3 ND filters - 2x, 4x & 8x. Not sure what to get for this FZ38 if I buy just one. Anyone got an opinion? Am thinking to hit mid-ground with a 4x.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #94

Brownie, you are too advanced for me. Don't understand so cannot help you.

I am posting the discription of the filters i bought what do think? would you keep or return and why?

Product Description
46mm 3-Piece Digital Multi-Coated Filter Kit UV, FLD & CPL Filter Kit SUPER HIGH RESOLUTION FILTERS THESE ARE 100% PURE GLASS FILTERS Lifetime warranty. Neewer Filters, made from the finest solid optical glass, are ground and polished to the most practical thinness. In addition, they are heat-treated to avoid any distortion or focal shift, and each filter is subject to strict tests in order to ensure a flawless, even surface, which is essential to a quality filter and exceptional photographs. * Fits 46mm lenses * Ideal for protecting your valuable lens from scratches and dust * UV filter absorbs ultraviolet rays to produce crisp, clear photographs * Circular Polarizing filter eliminates reflections from non-metallic surfaces, and increases contrast and color saturation * FLD filter helps balance light in outdoor situations or where fluorescent lights are used A UV filter is used to reduce UV rays from entering the lens and striking the film. A polarizer is different than most filters in that it is composed of two pieces of glass, mounted independently inside a round frame so that one can be rotated relative to the other. As it is rotated, it increasingly cuts out glare and haze. You can also use a polarizer filter to darken blue skies. A FLD filter (fluorescent light correction) provides the perfect solution for obtaining pleasing skin tones and correct color while shooting without a flash under fluorescent lighting. This filter gives true-to-life color rendition by removing the harsh yellow-green cast ordinarily resulting from fluorescent bulbs. When shooting under natural light, a fluorescent filter dramatically increases color saturation of subjects such as sunrises and sunsets. Works with ANY 46mm lens! Lifetime warranty!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:12 AM   #95

i just posted a photo used with the CPL filter same as yours, its of a church, i didnt quite have the filter turned properly and you can see in the one photo the shade of blue difference, the left is darker than the right, But it shows what it is supposed to do. Was a little hard to see if i had it right on the LCD and even more difficult on the EVF.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:14 AM   #96

was it exactly the same filter as mine. i did reply to that post and did see the differnce in the sky so you are saying you simply turned to filter and get a bluer sky?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:23 AM   #97
Administrator

Try shooting towards a brighter light source (as in that landscape photo you posted that appeared to have the sun just behind the clouds) with and without your UV filter, to see if it's degrading image quality significantly (or not).

But, note that modern digital cameras are not very sensitive to UV (because the AA filter over the imaging sensor filters out most of it out), so don't buy into the "hype" you see about them improving your image quality (as that's only applicable to film). If anything, a UV/Haze type filter will usually degrade image quality with a modern digital camera if you have brighter light sources in the frame. So, I'd only use one if you want to protect the lens, not for image quality purposes.

As for polarizers, they can be helpful to reduce reflections and glare in some conditions. Personally, I don't like the artificial look they can give to sky colors in some conditions. But, that's probably a matter of taste. I very rarely use one.

Also keep in mind that a typical polarizing filter will reduce light by around 2 stops, depending on how it's rotated. So, keep that in mind when shooting in less than optimum lighting, as you'll probably need shutter speeds roughly 4 times as long for a given aperture and ISO speed for a properly exposed image (meaning higher ISO speeds may be needed to prevent blur from subject movement and/or camera shake in lower lighting when trying to use one). Because you're reducing light significantly when using one, that can also negatively impact your Autofocus speed. IOW, if you decide to use one, make sure you take it off in less than optimum lighting (especially indoors).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:30 AM   #98

Thats mine.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:37 AM   #99

not the same make. mine is Neewer. Wonder if there is a difference. if so what?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
not the same make. mine is Neewer. Wonder if there is a difference. if so what?
i suspect they are all the same, just diff 'brands' is the case the same? does it even look similar?