Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:03 PM   #11

I save them to my hard drive and then you can right-click to see the EXIF
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:17 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Not intending to hijack the thread. But how can I view the EXIF info on a photo that is posted here in the forum? On my own photos that are on my computer, I just "right click" on the image and view the properties. But that doesn't seem to work in the digicam forum.
There are a number of EXIF viewers available that can act as internet browser addons.

I use more than one with Firefox (you can have more than one installed at the same time).

Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin and FxIF by Ted Mielczarek are both cross platform addons for Firefox (they work in Firefox, regardless of your operating system). But, note that only Alan Raskin's addon is compatible with newer Firefox versions.

An EXIF viewer with more Maker Notes information for many cameras is PhotoME

I use the latest Beta version (first download link on their downloads page). It's Windows only, but it also works in Wine under Linux if you install the GDI+ libraries mentioned on the download page:

http://www.photome.de/download_en.html

If you install the Firefox addon mentioned on this page (after you install the main PhotoME application), you will see a new menu choice when you right click on an image in Firefox that lets you "Open using PhotoME". This only works with the Windows version of Firefox. With Linux, you'd need to install the Windows version of Firefox under Wine to get that menu option.

http://www.photome.de/firefox_en.html

Opanda iEXIF is another popular EXIF reader that can work from a browser via addons available for IE and Firefox. It's Windows only. You have to install the main version for Windows Explorer and IE first, then install the Firefox addon (but, I no longer use it due to security warnings with newer versions of Firefox).

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:36 PM   #13

There is a firefox addon OR you can right click the photo and view its properties
EDIT: did not see the post above me...oops
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:48 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies. I posted on this forum for advice before going away to this safari park as i wanted the best photos i could get. the reason was it takes a days travel to get there and it was a one off in that i will not be going back so i had to be sure of the settings. the replies pointed me to iA settings for safety as being new to photography i didn't want to mess around with the camera and get it wrong. I set the camera to the iA and left it there throuhgout. I did not change any settings at all and do not see how i could have changed the exposure by 2 settings. since reading the posts i have tried to change the exposure by 2 settings and cannot see how i could have done that by accident. you have to physically press buttons, one to get into exposure and twice to go up 2. i checked how i hold the camera and my thumb covers only the camera and playback buttons with forfinger on shutter button. this also lets out the P setting as the mode button has to be physically altered so i am at a loss as to how all this could have happened. i kept checking to make sure it was still on iA as i glanced at the camera frequntly.
My daughter had my old Fuji - she never handled mine. the Fuji took the best photos. I did think about changing the setting to sports for the animals but decided against it just in case. I was very careful with this new camera more so than ever i was with my Fuji. I am really disappointed. while this happens to people it never happened to me with the Fuji. even the lenses i bought from Amazon were a failure so i won't be recommending anyon to buy them as you can see the reflections in the last photo too. not sure how the EXIF has been stripped, i didn't do that but i did reduce the size to 10 inches and 72 resolution for easier quicker upload. i still cannot see how the camera over exposed then reverted back to 0 exposure within one minute or how i could have done that by accident twice within that minute. it doesn't make sense to me. I accept accidents happen but not the same one within such a time space. i am still confussed - sorry.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:53 PM   #15

Sarah, i had no need to alter anything in iA mode and no need to alter the exposure compensation. it was a sunny day.
MartinSykes, cannot find your signature to download.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:26 PM   #16

eysha, i'm very sorry to hear about your sad experience. I poked thru my postings and can't find if I ever mentioned that I bring two camera's with me all the time. One is a p&s I'm very familiar with. The other is my newish dslr. I make sure I take pics with both and I glance at the lcd to see the results after most shots. This doesn't always help much as in bright sun, it's not very visible anyway. I didn't see how long your safari was but I review all my pics on a netbook (if I'm on the road) every night.

I've had people laugh at me. That's fine. I'm just trying to make my best effort to get good shots.

Now that your back and in-between trying to recover something from your many pictures, you need to continue shooting and learning your new camera (assuming there is nothing wrong with it).

One last point, SAVE the originals of the pictures somewhere. CDs are safest as you CAN'T over-write them. A USB stick that you give to someone else may be OK too. Only work on copies. I use Bulk Rename Utility to add a suffix to all my filenames prior to editting. If there's no suffix... I STOP! I must have made a small error.

good luck...
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:37 PM   #17

Thanks Frank, i appreciate your post. I am very disappointed becasue this trip was a one off which is why i posted so much before going for advice to make sure i would get it right but...
The safari park was only a one day thing unfortunately, would have loved to stay much much longer. being mostly animals in motion i wouldn't have been able to use two cameras anyway but luckily my daughter was with me and used my old Fuji sf8000 so it was like using two cameras i guess. I didn't have a notebook with me and no wi fi either so could only look o the playback on the camera and they looked ok until i got home ans looked on the laptop. i too was only trying to get good shots.
I was trying to learn the camera but got brain overlaod with all the tech speak but will continue i guess. not sre about Bulk Rename Utility - what is that? I do save to the computer but don't delete anything from the camera until i have burnt the good photos first, then i delete.
If this had happened any other time or place i wouldn't have cared so much but i really wanted good photos of the gorilla to paint from - oh well...
Thanks
E.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:55 PM   #18

You have to enable signatures in your profile. But liink is - Download it for free at http://www.autohdr.co.uk

Last edited by MartinSykes; Jul 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
...Bulk Rename Utility - what is that?...
I do save to the computer but don't delete anything from the camera until i have burnt the good photos first, then i delete...
Never mind for now about that utility. it's just what i use to rename a whole bunch of files. i don't want to find myself editting an original by mitake. what you're doing sounds ok anyway. you back them up first (burn means to CD I assume. so that's plenty safe).

I think you were posting pictures before you left so the camera should be ok. try some more. see what happens. try changing batteries. see what happens. at least you have your daughter's pics for memories. that's worth a lot.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:03 PM   #20

Sorry to hear you had such a poor showing. Weird i recently took some photos of a hot air balloon that passed near by and the results were awful. It was late evening and it seemed there was not enough light. Although i had taken photos with a Sony H20 in similar light and had better results. I put it down to user error.
One thing i would mention about the polarising lens, did you hold the camera to an angle of the window and turn the filter until you saw the reflection lessen on the screen?
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote