Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:20 AM   #41

Jim, my daughter never had my camera in her hands, she had my old Fuji all the time and she is in her thirties, just in case you maybe thought she was a child.
I am finding learning all this camera stuff hard going and confussing so i am hoping this thread will help other newbies too, i do hope so so that they get the photos they want and not have my problems.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:30 AM   #42

Looks good - that's the same display mode I use.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:32 AM   #43

what other settings should i have on the display? i am thinking histogram, anything else i need to include?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:40 AM   #44

I think iA mode cant be much changed - thats the whole purpose of it , that cases like these with eysha dont happend.You can change resolution ..
Ive used iA mode lately , I use it when I dont wanna think what serttings is best , it really gives best pictures if you are in a hurry.
Last night , Ive ordered some food , I wanted to remember that take-out rest so I took few quickies

Somebody posted nice turrtorial - it was Panasonics page really , with explanation of FZ38. iA mode always uses inteligent Iso , inteligent scene detector and intelignet exposure - this last one is handy for cases like this first picture of a elephant on a first page , it should adjust level of white on a picture nicely.
here is the that turtorial , it explains most important features in few words
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/c...5_fz38/ia.html

Eysha , are you absolutely sure youve used iA mode?for me it looks like some of manual modes with increased EV.

Last edited by hrvoje xyz; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:41 AM   #45

should i set the camera to intellegent ISO on or off? What is PRE AF for? I hate reading the manuel as it gives me a headache. I wish there was a video to leran from, is there? i really don't kow what i should have on or off.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:46 AM   #46

Yes hrvoje, i am sure it was kept in iA as like you i didn't want to have to think of settings as i knew i wouldn't have time to do that with animals moving around etc. i really didn't use any mauel modes as i was trying to play safe and have the camera work for me.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
what other settings should i have on the display? i am thinking histogram, anything else i need to include?

I don't use the histogram - I know what it's for and represents but I think it "too much" to worry about while trying to take a picture.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:52 AM   #48

ok, was just wondering about it.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:29 PM   #49

I'd agree the histogram is too much. Try turning on the 'Highlight' setting instead. It shows any 'bad' areas on your picture after you've taken it so you can just adjust the exposure downwards and take another one.

Pre-AF if set to Q-AF will focus when you half-press the shutter button so you can check it looks OK before you take the picture. C-AF is continuous so it is always focussing which lets you take a picture without delay but will use up the battery quicker. I use Q-AF

If it helps, these are my settings for general use and why I chose them (I'm sure some more experienced users might suggest changes)

I use P-Mode most of the time:
Picture Size: 12M (I think any resizing in-camera is bad)
Quality: High quality JPEG (No need to go to lower quality and RAW is slow to save)
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (same as the sensor)
Intelligent ISO: On (Should adjust the speed to stop blurring in moving objects as well as getting the brightness right)
ISO Limit Set: Auto (Not got any reason to limit this)
White Balance: AWB (Don't want to worry about what lighting is being used)
Face Recog: Off (Not really bothered about the camera telling me who I'm photographing)
AF Mode: Face (I would like to have faces in focus if they're present)
Pre AF: Q-AF (so i can half press the shutter to check the focus)
AF/AE Lock: AE (If the sky is too bright or a face is too dark, I find it easier to point the camera somewhere else, lock the exposure and then move to take the photo. This only affects the one photo unlike the exposure adjustment which has to be set back again for the next one)
Metering Mode: [o] (looks at the whole scene for exposure)
I.Exposure: Standard (should compensate a bit for scenes with extreme light and shadow)
Colour effect: Off (Can muck around with colour on the computer later)
Pict Adj: [Edit] switched to sharpness and noise reduction +2. contrast /saturation both 0
Stabilizer: Mode 1 (I think this means it works all the time when you're framing your picture, not just when you press the button to take it)
AF Assist Lamp: On (unless it annoys the subject it helps get better focus)
Flash Syncro: 2nd (I think this balances the light more between the foreground/background)
Red-eye removal: Off (I always turn this off on any camera - it gives me a headache)

Last edited by MartinSykes; Jul 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:54 PM   #50

Many thanks Martin. I really think this will not only help me but others as well which is great. It is nice to think that my problems have generated such response, help and advice that will benifit otHer newbies like myself and i am sure that even those who are not so new to photography will learn somehting that perhaps they didn't know because not everyone can know everything so i really hope other people will add on to this and help others too. What you use and why you use it is really good to know so i really hope other photographers' will add here their preferences and why just as you have done.
Again many, many thanks for your time. This forum really is great.
E.
p.s. Notes taken and kept - thanks.
Maybe this could become a sticky - not all of it but just the important parts to help others.
Martin, i have now set my camera to those above - thanks.

Last edited by eysha; Jul 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM.