Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
ok, was just wondering about it. (regarding not using the histogram)
Hi eysha,

While you're in the "testing phase" of your FZ38, give P-mode, histogram on, and exposure compensation a try. You can always decide not to use it if it's not for you. The histogram will instantly let you know whether your photo will be over exposed "before" you snap the photo. You can adjust exposure compensation in real-time as you view the histogram. --- If you want to double check your exposure compensation adjustment, take the picture and press review to see if highlights are blinking. (highlight must be turned on in the menu)

Using the highlight blinkies to adjust exposure compensation is a good method too but it requires adjusting exposure compensation "after" you take the picture. --- The procedure is, take the picture, press the review button, see if any highlights are blinking (which means overexposed), if blinking, adjust exposure compensation down, repeat until blinkies stop. --- In the other direction (on a cloudy day or at dusk), repeat while adjusting exposure compensation up until blinkies appear and then adjust exposure compensation back down a notch.

Using the histogram (or highlight blinkies) doesn't mean that you have to adjust exposure compensation for every photo. You can determine the correct exposure compensation for the condition and just keep shooting for "that" condition (like a sunny day) without constantly adjusting anything. --- However, be sure to return exposure compensation back to zero when shooting indoors.

The problem shooting in iA mode for "most" cameras is that the default exposure compensation usually tends to blow out highlights just a bit. A good example is say you're taking a photo of some white flowers with generally green background. When you go home and view the white flowers on your computer screen you might find that the subtle detail in the white petals are gone and the petals look all white. Using the histogram or highlight blinkies can prevent that. --- On just about every camera that has exposure compensation adjustment, I see folks recommending setting it to -1/3 EV on sunny days.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM. Reason: added (like a sunny day)
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:03 PM   #52

Thanks Sky, i guess making mistakes, as i have, is a good way to learn and to help others learn too from my mistakes as good folk like you on this forum are so generous with help and advice. i ave added the histogram in and will play tomorrow, weather permitting. again i have noted your help and advice and taken notes. Thanks, i appreciate it. E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Thanks Sky, i guess making mistakes, as i have, is a good way to learn and to help others learn too from my mistakes as good folk like you on this forum are so generous with help and advice. i ave added the histogram in and will play tomorrow, weather permitting. again i have noted your help and advice and taken notes. Thanks, i appreciate it. E.
Welcome eysha. Everyone posting is trying to help. Try all of the suggestions and go with the ones most comfortable for you.

One thing comes to mind about your over exposure problem while on your safari trip. While you are taking test shots, try to see if the mode dial is flaky. Try this:
- Select P-mode. Set exposure compensation to +2. Take a picture in sunlight and it should be way over exposed.
- Select iA mode. Take the same picture. It should be OK.
- Stay in iA mode but jiggle (in rotary directions) the mode dial and end up twisting it toward the P-mode direction. You should still be in iA mode.
- While still holding the mode dial toward the P-mode direction, take the same picture. Is it over exposed?
- Repeat several times.
- When testing is done, don't forget to go back into P-mode and set exposure compensation back to zero or what you need.

This might reveal a flaky mode dial which is selecting P-mode intermittently while you are in iA mode.

=====

There is one other comment I would like to make. You mentioned that your Fujifilm camera took good exposures while your FZ38 in iA mode did not. --- I remember reading a thread a good while back (not sure it was on steves-digicams or not) where the poster compared shots taken using a Fujifilm camera to a Panasonic camera while both were set to iA mode. His problem was including the sky in the picture which created backlighting problems.

The sample photos he posted did indeed show that his Fujifilm camera exposed the scene better than his Panasonic camera. This was not using high dynamic range (HDR) or other special feature. He was just using plain iA mode. I have a gut feeling that the Fujifilm multi-pattern exposure setting works better than Panasonic cameras. --- This is just my personal gut feeling guess from reading posts with no data to back it up.

Best regards,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM. Reason: added: This was not using high dynamic range (HDR) or other special feature. He was just using plain iA mode.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
...go with the ones most comfortable for you...
I like that. We all have different levels of interest, time, skills, etc. I'm a slow adopter. So I'd pick one thing and try to understand it. Other's might pick 5.

You've asked good questions and shown a great willingness to learn. That's two points for you.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:55 PM   #55

Images that over-exposed should have been apparent on the LCD. I always check each shot on the LCD, it is not a perfect representation but it will expose huge issues such as this.

I shoot only in P mode unless I am shooting a macro or using the panoramic-assist...which is an awesome feature.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:24 PM   #56

Sky, thanks again and yes i know everyone is trying to help and they are as i am learning from my mistakes and i hope others are taking notes too. I will follow your suggestions and get back to you on them.
Frank, i am always willing to learn as i love learning but was so annoyed my gorilla didn't work out as it was he that i mainly went for, just love gorillas'.
Cherokee, i used the eye piece instead of the LCD and the photos looked good to me, not over exposed at all until i got them home on the computer, which was annoying as i couldn't retake. I am going to try the P mode after following Sky's instructions. Lots of people seem to prefe that setting. never tried the panoramic yet so later maybe when i get more courage, lol.
Thanks everyone again for all the help and advice.
E.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:49 PM   #57

Hang in there, you'll get it!!
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:57 PM   #58

Thanks Cherokee, i am still in there hanging on although some times i feel as if i am hanging on by my little fingertips, lol.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Muzicman61, thanks for your post too, i really appreciate the help and encouragement. I am sorry to hear about your trip too, perhaps, unlike me, you will be able to return there, i hope so.
Honestly, New Orleans is not on my "Can't wait to get back" list. It was hot, expensive, and the people rude for the most part. Maybe ticked off about the oil spill. However, I did get to watch the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in a cool bar on Bourbon Street, which was probably the highlight of the trip.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Note that your second image does not have any EXIF info in it (it's been stripped out). ...
I think the exif data below the second image is it. The third image does not have any exif data because the OP was pointing out the glare. That's my interpretation.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote