Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:56 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
eysha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 1,212
Default

Muzicman, New Orleans is a place i won't get to see and it is probably expensive. my short trip was expensive and like you i found the people rude but what can you do? Not sure about the Blackhawk so i guess it is a team of some kind, being in the UK i don't know these things.
Tullio, you are right. i didn't bother with the EXIF on the last one as it was only to show the glare and that the polorizor didn't work. Didn't know i had to keep turning it to get it to cut the glare though, and didn't know the barrel of the zoom lens turns too.
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:04 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
eysha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 1,212
Default

Skylark, not sure about this, please can you explain. - Stay in iA mode but jiggle (in rotary directions) the mode dial and end up twisting it toward the P-mode direction. You should still be in iA mode.
- While still holding the mode dial toward the P-mode direction, take the same picture. Is it over exposed?
I am a little confussed as the P mode is right next to the iA mode. Do you mean to just turn the mode dial around and back to iA mode passing P mode? sorry but not sure. Oh and it is dull and raining here today too. Thanks. E .
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:53 AM   #63
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Hi Eysha, I think Skylark means keep the dial on iA but turn it slightly towards P but not actually click onto it. This is to see if the dial is switching to p internally but not physically.
bensonboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:40 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Skylark, not sure about this, please can you explain. - Stay in iA mode but jiggle (in rotary directions) the mode dial and end up twisting it toward the P-mode direction. You should still be in iA mode.
- While still holding the mode dial toward the P-mode direction, take the same picture. Is it over exposed?
I am a little confussed as the P mode is right next to the iA mode. Do you mean to just turn the mode dial around and back to iA mode passing P mode? sorry but not sure. Oh and it is dull and raining here today too. Thanks. E .
No, I didn't mean to turn the mode dial around and back to iA mode. Here's a step-by-step of what I meant.

1. Turn mode dial to P-mode.
2. Set exposure compensation to +2 EV.
3. Snap a picture of a scene in sunlight. (should be obviously over exposed.
4. Turn mode dial to iA mode.
5. Snap the same picture. (should be exposed OK)
6. While staying in the iA position, twist the mode dial "ever so slightly" back & forth without actually coming out of the iA position. What you are trying to do is shake the mode dial's contacts inside of the camera just a tiny bit while staying in the iA position. There is a tiny tiny bit of free play while in the iA position.
7. While "staying" in the iA position, gently apply slight rotary pressure to the mode dial toward the P-mode position.
8. Snap the same picture you did before.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 about 5 times which will result in 5 pictures taken in the iA position. See if any of the 5 pictures are over exposed like the picture taken in step-3.
10. Don't forget to set exposure compensation back to zero after you are done testing.

Since P-mode on the FZ38 is adjacent to iA mode, we are just trying to confirm whether the mode dial's switch contacts inside of the camera are flaky and incorrectly selecting P-mode while the mode dial is in the iA position. While you were on the safari bus, there was probably a lot of vibration and bouncing which may have affected the mode dial contacts if the mode dial is intermittent. It might have selected P-mode internally although the mode dial still showed iA mode selected.

Actually this test can be done indoors. I just tried it on a sheet of white paper with printing on it, laying on the floor with the living room lights on at night. Adjusting exposure compensation to +2 in P-mode and taking a picture of the paper blows out the paper and no printing can be seen. It just looks all white. --- Turning the mode dial to iA, I took the same picture and the exposure was good and printing on the paper can be seen. --- If I was using a FZ38 and my mode dial was flaky while in the iA position, I would expect to see an all white paper in my test photos while in the iA position. (I used my FZ50 since I don't own a FZ35/FZ38.)

EDIT: What Bensonboo said is what I mean. Thanks Bensonboo.

Hope this clears it up,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 15, 2010 at 6:50 AM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:38 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
eysha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 1,212
Default

Rain stopped so off to get some piccys as instructed - thanks and will report back.
E
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:29 PM   #66
Junior Member
 
Muzicman61's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Peoria Heights, IL
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Muzicman, New Orleans is a place i won't get to see and it is probably expensive. my short trip was expensive and like you i found the people rude but what can you do? Not sure about the Blackhawk so i guess it is a team of some kind, being in the UK i don't know these things.
Tullio, you are right. i didn't bother with the EXIF on the last one as it was only to show the glare and that the polorizor didn't work. Didn't know i had to keep turning it to get it to cut the glare though, and didn't know the barrel of the zoom lens turns too.
E.
Yes, the Blackhawks are a sports team. Chicago's hockey team. They haven't won the Stanley Cup since the years I was born... 1961.
__________________
FZ35 - Powered by Illudium P-36 Explosive Space Modulator
Muzicman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:58 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
eysha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 1,212
Default

Skylark, it hasn't happened again so far and i have taken a lot of photos of differnt things with your settings so fingers crossed i guess. I got a book to read too now so I am studying, lol.
I hope this thread helps others.
Muzicman, never give up, anything is possible.
will keep reading and learning.
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:59 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Skylark, it hasn't happened again so far and i have taken a lot of photos of differnt things with your settings so fingers crossed i guess. I got a book to read too now so I am studying, lol.
I hope this thread helps others.
Hi eysha,

Happy to hear that things are working out now.

Sky
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:26 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
eysha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 1,212
Default

Thanks Skylark, i am experimenting now and trying hard to learn lots too.
E.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:41 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Edufloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 126
Default

I try IA mode and didn't like the results at all, i mean, washed out colours, a kind of grey tone, plus the camera usually pick a high iso ( 800 or more) causing noisy images..
I try to not use any auto mode. i always use my camera on A mode and sometimes in M mode.
In A mode you choose the aperture with the joystick, set a custom WB (I never use AWB) and i ALWAYS use iso 80, and that's it, I'm very happy with those settings!
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:45 PM.