Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:30 AM   #71

Thanks Edufloyd, your post now makes sense and answers a question in that Photos i have taken in iA mode do come out looking washed out. I was wondering if it was a faulty camera thing but obviously not if it happens to you too. I am attaching the same photo, the first is the washout one on iA mode the second is the same but i tweaked it a bi, don't know too much about tweaking though but it gives you an idea i guess.
I am still experimenting with the camera and its different settings but love to hear what others prefer.
Question for anyone out there. Do you tweak your photos before saving them to disk and do you keep the originals too, but seperate? if so what do you do.
Probably more questions to follow as i am reading a digital photography book by Simon Joinson, if anyone knows of him.
E.
Attached Images

eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:17 AM   #72

I generally save my originals. When I change or "tweak" a photo I usually add a letter or number to the file name. I always choose "Save as" when saving. Most of the time selecting "Save" will overwrite the original - no way of going back after that's done.

As to the iA mode picture above. The camera tries to "guess" what the best setting is by selecting a spot - before taking the shot, notice the green brackets or squares when you press the button half way down. It's trying to choose the best setting for focus-exposure-shutter speed, etc. Re-selecting a spot can change the camera's guess work. Simply release the button, then move the camera slightly then press down half way again and the camera will "select" another metered area - it will show different set green boxes or brackets.

Try an experiment to see what happens - using the above picture as a reference - point the camera more towards the sky - press the button half way - now most of the metering will be on the sky - keep holding the button down half way but point the camera down a bit more towards the landscape. If you press the button down the rest of the way it will take the picture. Chances are picture (when you review it) will be a bit darker and not quite as washed out.

The camera is basically a computer trying to guess the best setting to use but it's really pretty dumb when you compare it to the brain and sight that God gave us. That's why sometimes post processing (tweaking) adds to a picture. In "reality" (another debatable area) it maybe overcast and very hazy and looked washed out. But maybe I want to show the richer greens and browns. Just like learning strokes of a brush and knowing the difference in techniques of oil painting vs. water colors. Sometimes learning to use the "tools" takes a bit of time and patience. Hang in there and keep taking pictures.

I guess that's why P mode is used more - you can choose the brush rather than the camera choosing the brush.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Jul 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:26 AM   #73
Administrator

That washed out look is caused by loss of contrast from what's referred to as Veiling Flare.

It's a common problem when shooting into the brighter side of the sky (i.e., towards the sun), caused by light reflecting between optical elements in the lens. You can see a more extreme example of it in the third image down on this page:

http://diglloyd.com/articles/Underst...ing-flare.html

Try not to shoot towards the sun if you can avoid it to reduce that issue, and use a Lens Hood to help cut back on harsher lighting hitting the optical elements.

Try not to use any cheaper filters (for example, uncoated Tiffen UV filters), as they can make the problem much worse. The so called UV/Haze filters can often cause that issue (instead of preventing it), especially if they don't have good optical coatings. I avoid using most filters for that reason (to help prevent degraded image quality in harsher lighting). Anytime you add more optical elements in front of your lens, you increase the potential for flare related issues.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:38 AM   #74

Thanks Clint and your comments noted too. do you keep your originals on a seperate disk or do you mix them becasue you have added a different letter/number?
Jim C I have the lens hood but have never used it. I bought uv filters on advise from here. one to protect the lens, still on. once i used the polorizing one at the safari park as i was shooting through glass but it still caused reflections so wasn't happy. would you advise sending them back? they were almost 10, about $20 give or take so do you class them as cheapies and not worth the money? if so should i send them back and just buy one good protective lens or not bother at all? if so what should i buy? should i just keep the hood lens on all the time?
Thanks in advance again
E.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:44 AM   #75

I keep the originals and the edited (tweaked) copies on my hard drive. If they are important to me - I put them on another hard drive so I have two copies in two different locations. Some I copy over to DVD's or CD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks Clint and your comments noted too. do you keep your originals on a seperate disk or do you mix them becasue you have added a different letter/number?

E.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:44 AM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Jim C I have the lens hood but have never used it. I bought uv filters...
Use the hood, as it can help prevent direct light from hitting the optical elements; or try to keep the lens in shadows when shooting in harsher lighting, and try not to shoot towards the brighter side of the sky (the sun) if you can avoid it to reduce flare related issues.

As for a UV filter, some people like them to protect their lens. Personally, I'm in the "don't use them" group with digital.

You can see some tests of some popular filters at lenstip.com. Note how bad this Tiffen is. You'll want to avoid cheaper filters with poor (or no) coatings to prevent image degradation in harsher lighting.

http://www.lenstip.com/113.24-articl...n_72mm_UV.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:16 AM   #77

Hi everyone!
I just joined the forum, along with my new FZ38.

eysha - don't get despondent! It is following your particular dilemma that has encouraged me to sign up here & join in. Everyone is obviously so helpful & eager to help anyone with problems.

I am still finding my way around my new toy. I already have a Pentax DSLR, but needed something light & versatile for overseas travel & hiking in UK. Many of my shots are mediocre to a bit rubbish but I never give up trying & have been very pleased with some of the shots from the FZ38 - more by accident than design I think! In the midst of a whole bunch of badly composed, OOF & wrong exposure I was very pleased with . . . . . ah! how do I upload . . . . hang on . . . back in a mo . . .
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:22 AM   #78

Default pink poppy

Hope I have done this right . . . . if not just ignore me!

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/at...1&d=1279372799

after I downloaded this to my PC I noticed the tiny white bug in the middle on the seed head waving to me!
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:24 AM   #79

wow! why did it come out so BIG????

anyway - eysha - if I can get a shot like this so can you!!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:25 AM   #80

Thanks Clint, i keep three copies of the msot important ones too but all originals, never really tweaked photos in case i mess them up, need to learn that too.
Jim C, i will dig out the hood lens, i put it away in the original box. do i take it that you don't even use a protector lens then?
Brownie, hi, nice to meet you and i am so pleased my problems have encouraged you, truley. i was hoping my problems would help others so glad to know they have but all the thanks go to the great people on this thread who have helped me so much. I read and take notes of instructions and then go play, lol.
I am uploading photos following Martin's instructions on Macro, i am quite pleased with them too, lol.
Attached Images