Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:26 AM   #81

Nice poppy Brownie, you beat me i think - great shot.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:27 AM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
do i take it that you don't even use a protector lens then?
I don't, as I don't want to risk degrading image quality. But, some people like them to help prevent damage to their lens.

You'll find users in both camps (those that use them, and those that don't).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:30 AM   #83

I never used one on my Fuji and it never got scratched but i am always very careful as money don't grow on trees to replace things. think i will send them back as i wasn't really happy with them anyway.
Oh just took those strawberries with the protector on, must take the same setup without and see if there is a difference.
Thanks E
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:40 AM   #84

yummy strawberries! especially no.3!

I keep a UV filter on all my camera lenses - the tiny degradation I might suffer is a small price to pay for peace of mind. I normally buy decent quality ones (UV or clear protect from Hoya), but just could not get a 46mm one - seems Hoya have dropped some sizes. So I got a Fujiyama one which seems OK.

eysha - don't send the filters back. Learn to use the polarizer - it is only a matter of rotating the free-moving element until you get the best image & it is great for bright skies, through glass & especially for taking pictures through water, where you can cut right though reflections & get clear images of things on the sea or river bed. However, you get best results at certain angles to the sun etc. Stick with it!! On your safari picture through glass it was just not knowing how to utilise the polarizer that got you such disappointment.

BTW - whereabouts in UK are you - your landscapes above looked a little familiar, but I cannot place.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:41 AM   #85
Administrator

They usually don't cause a problem unless you have brighter light sources in the frame, or you're shooting towards the sun. If practical, it's best to take photos of landscapes when the sun is behind you (as even without any filters, you can still have veiling flare issues when shooting towards brighter light sources); and if you must shoot in harsher lighting, it's best to try and shield the front lens elements from direct light (i.e., use a hood, or try to shoot from under shade).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:42 AM   #86

These two were taken without the protective lens on. can anyone see a difference?if so what?
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:49 AM   #87

Brownie, i know where you are and have a distant relative there. If you know where the Angel of the North is i can see it from my window. Don't mind keeping the lenses but maybe i bought the too cheap ones so getting poor results, this is all new to me so confussing at times but i am still here, lol. Maybe i should just buy a protector and one for landscapes but a better make. mine were 9.80p from amazon and i bought them as they had a lifetime guarantee but maybe not the best ones. any ecommendations anyone?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:03 AM   #88

Must admit I would not have bought filters quite so cheap - but as I am always watching pennies I can quite understand why they look a good buy. If I were you I would stick with them for now (what is the third one?) whilst you are learning & save for something a little better, then perhaps re-sell the set. My UV cost around 8 & I paid 22 for my polarizer, which is a KOOD - have not used it yet, but it will be fine for me. People who are taking really high quality photos are very concerned with the image quality rather than just the image. Like folk who listen to their hi-fi system, rather than the music!! I am not saying this is bad - just that some of us want to mainly get decent pictures of things that make memories & we will enjoy the resultant pictures without looking for tiny technical flaws.

No - I don't know the Angel as it happens. Perhaps I have seen a view like yours elswhere on a photo forum or in a book.

BTW I was already glad I had the UV on as in trying to photo something really close-up I bumped on the object - without the filter I might have scratched the lens. Also I like being able to remove the filter, give it a good clean & put it back, rather than have to clean front element of lens regularly.

Last edited by brownie six-20; Jul 17, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
brownie six-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:16 AM   #89

Hi guys, I bought a Hoya HMC filter from here, the 46mm one obviously.

http://www.hoya-online.co.uk/hoya-hmc-uv-filter-l28.htm

Looking at the test results JimC posted it comes out really well and I certainly am very happy with it. It cost about 12.
I must add that I live fairly close so visited the shop and bought one so I don't know what shipping is like.

Last edited by bensonboo; Jul 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
bensonboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:24 AM   #90

Good find, good price - perhaps was out of stock everywhere when I searched a few weeks ago.