Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Default Can anyone explain please this puzzle? so disappointed. FZ38

Hi, i am just back from my safari park trip and when i looked at my photos i was so disappointed in a lot of them. i am posting only these few as they show what i want to show. being new i kept my camera on the iA setting throughout for safelty as i am new to photography and i knew there wouldn't be time to mess with exposure, iso etc.
I had bought lenses from Amazon before leaving, one to protect the lens, one to stop glare through glass and the other is a florecent lens. I kept the non-reflective lens on while on the bus going through the wild animal section and as you can see the lens' didn't work - disppointment number one. photo included to show rflections.
when off the bus there was no further need to use the non reflective lens so i took it off and just replaced it with the protective lens for the rest of my trip. as said earlier i used iA setting throughout for safety so can anyone please explaing why my photos are so different? i did not play with any settings at all. i took the advice of members here and kep it on iA setting all the time. I gave my Fuji fd8000 to my daughter to use on this trip and her photos are really good compared to mine.I have included the photo info and reduced the size for posting but they have not been altered in any way at all other than that. The time difference was only one min between taking the gorilla and the seal so why the difference? Do i have a faulty camera? any help would be great so thanks in advance if you can help.
Anyone know how to improve the colours to save them, as in programme alterations as opposed to deleting them all.
Attached Images

Last edited by eysha; Jul 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Administrator

You had Exposure Compensation set to +2 EV for the first photo (that's what the Exposure Bias setting is telling you when you're looking at it's EXIF).

As a result, the camera exposed it two stops brighter than it would have without any Exposure Compensation set, resulting in an overexposed image.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

ISO speed was also set pretty high for that first image (ISO 800), which contributed to degraded image quality. But, the main problem is that it's very overexposed.

Note that your second image does not have any EXIF info in it (it's been stripped out). So, I can't look at it using an EXIF viewer with my PC. But, the screen capture from your EXIF viewer is showing no Exposure Compensation was used with it, and it was set to a much lower ISO speed (ISO 80 versus ISO 800).

Given the high ISO speed setting used for that first photo, with Exposure Compensation set at +2EV, I suspect you had it set to P (Programmed Auto) by accident if you intended to use iA mode, with settings that were not appropriate for those conditions, and your daughter moved it back to the iA position when you handed it to her.

My EXIF readers are showing "Normal Program" for the first photo. But, I don't know if it would show up the same way using iA mode (as it might report it the same either way, depending on how well the readers I'm using are interpreting the data from that camera).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Administrator

I'd also suggest resetting your camera back to factory defaults, in case it remembers your settings in some modes. Otherwise, you may end up getting overexposed and noisy images if you use a mode that has the same settings as your first photo unless you change your Exposure Compensation back to 0 and lower your ISO speed, as I suspect you changed some of those settings along the way without realizing it.

You'll find a RESET choice in your setup menus to reset all settings back to factory defaults.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #5

I'm surprised iA had so many problems although I've always used the P mode myself. Even in iA you can adjust the exposure with the little joystick by accident if you're not careful.

You can correct a lot with postprocessing but you will have lost some detail in areas like the gorilla's back. This is your gorilla picture was with my AutoHDR program - free to download in the signature. Use the 'Natural' preset, turn off the watermark and you should be able to get a decent first correction on lots of pictures without the headache of having to think about what it's doing. If there are any particularly special pictures you might want to have a go manually with paintshop or something - try a gamma correction or curves adjustment.

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:44 AM   #6

I'm sorry that this happened to you at an important outing but the above responses are right on the nose but don't get discouraged it was a simple mistake...Just make sure you check your settings before you shoot and hey it happens to all of us at some point....Keep shooting...
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Note that your second image does not have any EXIF info in it (it's been stripped out).
Note that from what I can see by comparing the images, it appears the forums software probably downsized that second image by one pixel in each direction, and recompressed it, stripping out the EXIF at the same time.

You'll want to be careful not to exceed the maximum file sizes allowed for attachments, which is 260,000 bytes (253.9KB). Otherwise, the forums software will strip out all EXIF information, while downsizing and recompressing an image using a relatively aggressive algorithm, resulting in softer images.

You'll see the allowed sizes when you use the attachments manager (paperclip icon in toolbar) to upload an image. See my comments in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659

So, I'd use a bit more compression (slightly lower jpeg quality) before uploading images if they are too large to prevent that from happening (change your editor's JPEG quality slider so that file sizes are within the maximum allowed). Usually, around 80 to 85% (or 8 to 8.5 if the software is using a 1 to 10 scale) keeps the file size within limits for images that are no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, without really impacting image quality much (but, if your exceed the maximum sizes allowed and let the forums software recompress them instead, image quality is usually degraded).

As long as the dimensions and file sizes are within the limits shown by the attachment manager, the images will not be modified by the forums software, and any EXIF information in them will remain.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8

You can correct a lot with postprocessing but you will have lost some detail in areas like the gorilla's back. This is your gorilla picture was with my AutoHDR program - free to download in the signature. Use the 'Natural' preset, turn off the watermark and you should be able to get a decent first correction on lots of pictures without the headache of having to think about what it's doing. If there are any particularly special pictures you might want to have a go manually with paintshop or something - try a gamma correction or curves adjustment.

[Edit - if you download v1.96 you can batch process up to 1000 at a time so you can just drop them all in and see what you get. Turn off the resize option as well if you want the full size results although it will be much slower]

[Edit again - not sure why this appeared twice]

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9

E.

Wagaboo's post is right on target. Just as you must make sure that you have enough fuel in the tank when beginning an auto trip, so too, you should quickly check over your camera to be sure that any setting left from a previous photo session are still not in effect on your camera.

The Safari Park was a perfect situation for Auto ISO, and then only using Exposure Compensation when required. Please don't fret. Things like that have happened to all of us.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Not intending to hijack the thread. But how can I view the EXIF info on a photo that is posted here in the forum? On my own photos that are on my computer, I just "right click" on the image and view the properties. But that doesn't seem to work in the digicam forum.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote