Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:59 AM   #1

Default Landscape view shot ...

Just got back from vacation and take some shot from FZ35. Just a newbie on owner of Fz 35. And please just suggest how could I improve my skill on photography. All this shot was on P-mode.
Attached Images

kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:26 AM   #2

They are very, very good mate! Really nice composition too. That shot of the Possum is outstanding!

About the only (tiny) suggestion I would make is to use the sunlight or even Shade WB setting on bright days, to give a little warmth to the photos - of course this can easily be done on your computer too.

Great effort, you should be very proud.

Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:05 AM   #3

I think you're just bragging. Maybe good composition comes naturally to some. I'd like to offer some suggestions, but I can't. Good work.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:08 AM   #4

Thank you Chill and Frank. Next time Chill I will not forgot those setting almost all other of my shot was over expose the sky was white. Chill sorry but its not a possum...its a tarsier.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:39 AM   #5

Amazing Shots.
NileLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:45 AM   #6

These are good! You asked for a few suggestions. here are my 2 cents:

Avoid a 50/50 split between land and sky on your landscapes as seen in in #1 and #3. Try to use the rule of thirds and place the horizon 1/3 from the bottom or 1/3 from the top depending on what you want to focus on. Also. try cropping some of the landscapes in a widescreen format (16x9 or 16x10) and see what you think.

One other thought is to not forget about the panoramic-assist feature with the FZ35. It is easy to use and will give you some amazing panoramic views.

Nicely done and thank you for sharing!!
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:45 AM   #7

Kean -

From a composition standpoint, your landscape work isn't bad at all! I will echo what Cherokee Outlaw said about the Rule of Thirds and the horizon lines, and then also add this bit: when setting up a shot, divide your frame up in thirds with imaginary lines, both horizontally and vertically. Try to lay points of interest (like that patio on the hill in shot #2, and in shot #5) at or near the intersections of those lines, as well. (Let's not get into diagonals or the Fibonacci sequences, either, for the sake of all our compositional sanities! )

With all that aside, Kean, you've got a good set of photos (I cannot be trusted to take any pictures of wildlife without causing them to flinch, or react badly, for example ) If you're still concerned about the composition, I would start to play with cropping your photos in photo editing software, and see what you can make of it.

Good job!
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlimFlam View Post
Kean -

From a composition standpoint, your landscape work isn't bad at all! I will echo what Cherokee Outlaw said about the Rule of Thirds and the horizon lines, and then also add this bit: when setting up a shot, divide your frame up in thirds with imaginary lines, both horizontally and vertically. Try to lay points of interest (like that patio on the hill in shot #2, and in shot #5) at or near the intersections of those lines, as well. (Let's not get into diagonals or the Fibonacci sequences, either, for the sake of all our compositional sanities! )

Good job!
With the FZ38/35, if you cycle through the display button while composing your shot you can bring up the grid lines and thus save your imagination for something else.
bensonboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonboo View Post
With the FZ38/35, if you cycle through the display button while composing your shot you can bring up the grid lines and thus save your imagination for something else.
Yeah, there is that feature. But in practice, I try not to use it too often. At least in my case, I find that if I turn on that grid, my mindset goes to a fixation on getting the points and lines matched up right, and out of thinking about the rest of the composition. I usually just go by the Rule of Ewan McWan Kenobi: "Use the Force, Luke!"

Besides, if you get it wrong, there's always Photoshop, right?
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:52 PM   #10

Thanks to all of you guys of your suggestion. You know I really don't mind those other features of FZ35. Just press and shoot...lol. Really don't know what I gonna use or select features/settings of a certain kind of view on any environment. Have question about focusing on a landscape shot because sometimes when I focus on the land it turns the sky mostly white but when I focus on the sky it turns out the landscape little bit darker. Like this shot.
Attached Images