Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Replacement batteries for FZ38

Just a small "beware" for anyone in UK looking for a replacement/spare battery for FZ38. I searched the web for a good deal & found some real cheapies (6-8) on Amazon etc, but decided to go for a reputable brand - Energizer - which was a couple of quid more. Found a good deal from Gadget Batteries of Poole in Dorset. Beware this company! Their site promised goods were in stock & would be depatched same/next day when credit card payment cleared. Payment cleared day of ordering & two weeks later I was still waiting - & found reports on web of others who had had same experience. They never answered any of the several emails I sent & they do not answer their phone. I finally sent an email stating that I would be contacting their local Trading Standards Office. Surprise!surprise! The battery arrived next day, first class post, postmarked date of my "threat". No paperwork, no apology, no email confirmation. The battery is absolutely fine . . . . . but I would not now touch them with a barge pole even if they were giving them away.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2

Just for the record, the Amazon batteries work just fine.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:36 PM   #3

I bought my batteries from Amazon and they work fine too.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:39 PM   #4

Promoting the Amazon-bought batteries in triplicate!
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:31 AM   #5

Make that a quad promo.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:43 AM   #6

High five!!

When I thought my spare from Gadget Cheaters was a lost cause I also ordered the Amazon cheapie. Just tried it out this weekend & it was fine!! I now have TWO excellent spares & as they are so light in weight it is no problem to carry them around - will come in very useful on touring trips or camping where facility to charge up is limited. The 3 batteries plus the charger that came with the camera weigh less in total than one AA set of 4 plus charger for my DSLR!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:16 AM   #7

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am planing to get a FZ35 before the week-end. I had a Nikon D80 with 18-200 VR Nikkor lens for 3 years and enjoyed it. I am doing a lot of high mountain trekking, so, I can't carry this kit anymore.... to heavy, to big. I just sold it. After hours and hours of reading I finally decided that a FZ35 would be a good compromise. Almost 100% of my pictures will be landscape in good lighting. I only have one concern... my next trip will be in the Himalaya and I will be 21 days without the possibility to charge my batteries.... I will need 5 fully charged batteries. I have seen your posts regarding the Amazon replacement batteries.... Are they really working as well as the original ones? Could anybody point me at the exact batterie you are talking about? I found many different ones on Amazon. I really cannot afford to be in front of Mount Everest with batteries that does not work :-)

Thanks
Belpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:33 AM   #8

Hi Belpat - now I don't feel like the brand newbie anymore! As you may gather I was a bit wary of the cheapest batteries as I had heard reports about some occasionally not fitting quite correctly. That was the main reason I looked for a brand like Energizer which I perceived as maybe more reliable. I will keep my cheapie (8) from Amazon as my third back-up. I only took a few pictures with it so far so don't know how it performs over time - perhaps others here can be more specific.

Wow - what a trip you plan! These FZ38/35 batteries are so light I think if I were going to Everest I would be packing twice as many as I thought I might need. Either that or an emergency use cheap camera that runs on disposable AAs - a low quality shot being preferable to none at all. Will temperature be an issue at altitude? I had a friend go off to Antarctica last year - she kept a spare battery nice & snug in an inner pocket when off the cruise ship.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:39 AM   #9

Temperature will not be an issue, it will be cold at night but not to bad during the day. I am heading to the Base Camp (on the Nepal side) and not to the summit... That would be a different story. I think I will order 5 or 6 of the Lenmar batteries that I saw on Amazon. I have seen some replacement batteries that did not even fit in the FZ35... That's make me scary.
Belpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:06 AM   #10

Another newbie asking a similar question. Can anybody tell me if there is a reliable alternative to the Panasonic battery that comes with the FZ35 - specifically in Australia?
The salesperson said I should not use anything other than that as it will be detrimental to the camera. (I'm sure they all say that!)
But it is expensive - $79 on special at Ted's at the moment.
azam650 is offline   Reply With Quote