Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:12 PM   #1

Default first few from my new FZ35

some first few shots from my new FZ35
pls comment and suggest for improvement

Virat
Name:  P1000213.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  Panorama 1.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  P1000196.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  picture1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  picture2.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  99.8 KB
virat1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:34 PM   #2

Nice work! The nighttime one looks a little soft, what ISO did you use, just out of curiosity? I ordered my FZ35 today and it should be here wednesday, can't wait!
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
Nice work! The nighttime one looks a little soft, what ISO did you use, just out of curiosity? I ordered my FZ35 today and it should be here wednesday, can't wait!

It is at ISO 800, f/3.2, 1/8s

Even I think that it could be done better, any suggestions on how to click great night shots?

Virat
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by virat1988 View Post
Even I think that it could be done better, any suggestions on how to click great night shots?
on the fz35? not yet

In general: I use a low ISO and a longer exposure. It minimizes image noise, but the thing is you have to have a tripod.

Though I did take some handheld night shots up in the tower of the Paris in las vegas last year with my XTi and a 18-55mm IS 3.5-5.6 IS lens:

It was tough, though, people josling around in the cage up there, jockeying for positions to the camera holes in the wire caging. I braced the lens in the opening, and also pulled against my neckstrap to keep tension which helped hold it still, and went for it. The reason this one is so crooked is because I wasn't looking through the viewfinder. Though once I saw it, I liked it enough not to mess with it.

the settings for that shot were ISO 400 @ 1/4 sec @ 45mm @ f/5.0 (the widest the lens would go.)

I would imagine I could actually get better photos in that same situation with the FZ35, since @ 72mm equiv. (the 35mm equiv of my 45mm on a 1.6x crop camera like my xti) on the FZ35, I'd have a generous f/3.6 to work with, and OIS that's arguably better than the OIS in the cheap IS lens that my XTi was using.

Granted the ISO 400 would be ugly by comparison, but heck, by now I'm rambling.

My tips for the FZ35 would be keep the ISO as low as possible, and the camera still as possible, and take lots of shots so that at least some will come out really sharp.

Last edited by matt314159; Jul 19, 2010 at 4:17 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
on the fz35? not yet
My tips for the FZ35 would be keep the ISO as low as possible, and the camera still as possible, and take lots of shots so that at least some will come out really sharp.
Actually when I put the shutter speed as 1s or slower it was ruining the photo as the center part of building was glowing bright with lights so I used auto mode to get the above posted pic.
Can I get sharp shot without blowing up the center part of building too much? definitely much slower shutter speed cannot be used, so shall I open the aperture full and use shutter speed a little less than a sec? will that help?

Anyways, thanks for the pointers and tips, will try out real soon.

V.

Last edited by virat1988; Jul 19, 2010 at 5:01 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:06 AM   #6

The key to good night time shots is:

(1) Use a tripod
(2) Keep the ISO as low as practical
(3) Staying back to get a wider shot is more effective that zooming in tightly.
(4) Minimize shooting directly into bright lights, as this will bias the exposure negatively and get a lot of glare in your photo. Neon signs are not as bad a s globed lights.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by virat1988 View Post
Actually when I put the shutter speed as 1s or slower it was ruining the photo as the center part of building was glowing bright with lights so I used auto mode to get the above posted pic.
Can I get sharp shot without blowing up the center part of building too much? definitely much slower shutter speed cannot be used, so shall I open the aperture full and use shutter speed a little less than a sec? will that help?

Anyways, thanks for the pointers and tips, will try out real soon.

V.
I'm guessing the problem you were having was because of the f/8 min aperture? That makese sense, actually, now that I think about it. I'm used to shooting with a DSLR and not used to the limitations the FZ35 has in some regards. You could leave the camera in program mode, set the ISO to 100, and just see what settings it automatically uses maybe? and tweak from there with the +/- ev settings... I dunno, I think the key is to play with it as often, and as long as you have to to get a feel for what you can and can't do with it. Whenever I first get a camera, I go snap-happy, using it as often as possible in as wide a variety of scenes as possible until I suss out the camera's capabilities and can comfortably master the controls, knowing what results I'm likely to get each time. Then when the *real* opportunities come, I feel like I'll be ready.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:01 AM   #8

Thanks, Sarah and Matt

Virat
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:33 PM   #9

Need to buy a camera bag for my Fz35. I was looking on Amazon. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Alana
Alana is offline   Reply With Quote