Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:07 AM   #11

A lot of the announcements kind of gloss over the sensor differences between the FZ40 and FZ100. I really want to know how well the FZ100ís MOS sensor performs. Is this a brand new sensor or is it used in other Panasonic camera(s)?

Iím a noob to the world of photography but from what Iíve read the MOS sensor allows for better low light performance and faster burst modes. Will it also provide better overall IQ than the CCD in the FZ40? Any down sides to the MOS sensor?
JoeTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:23 AM   #12

Look at it this way: Maybe Panasonic plays the game Fuji played with the S6*00fd vs S9*00: better IQ of the cheaper cam. Swivel LCD, hotshoe, high fps, better video? When IQ doesn't deliver, I'd rather take the FZ45!
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbuggy View Post
Look at it this way: Maybe Panasonic plays the game Fuji played with the S6*00fd vs S9*00: better IQ of the cheaper cam. Swivel LCD, hotshoe, high fps, better video? When IQ doesn't deliver, I'd rather take the FZ45!
So you're saying the MOS sensor may not have as good of IQ as the CCD in the FZ40? I know this is all speculation until actual hands on reviews happen but if that's the case I may just get the older and cheaper FZ35. Thanks.
JoeTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTX View Post
So you're saying the MOS sensor may not have as good of IQ as the CCD in the FZ40? I know this is all speculation until actual hands on reviews happen but if that's the case I may just get the older and cheaper FZ35. Thanks.
Would be a good idea just in case the 25-600 lens doesn't deliver the goods ...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbuggy View Post
To me, the photos look heavily denoised in the shadows. Time to scale back NR to -2. Unfortunately, the reviewer didn't do it.

Just look at column 3, photo 12 down. There are no details left!
I agree, there is excessive noise reduction being done which really destroys the images. These are preproduction samples but Panasonic is over processing the images in default mode. Looks good at smaller sizes but is too much for the larger images that many enthusiasts want. Panasonic sometimes seems to "confuse" their markets and tries too hard to be all things to all people. FZ100 has a lot of potential but the preproduction photos do not impress. I was really dissatisfied by the sample photos that panasonic posted themselves. Looks like a rush job where someone in the marketing department dashed out and shot a handful of quick long photos shots and then ran back and posted them. No thought to the images at all. Just a very mediocre attempt to demonstrate the long zoom.

Think I'll wait for production models and see what can be done with different cameras settings and RAW before making any final decisions though. They really should have kept the megapixels down some for the sensor size no more then 10 or 12 and must work on their jpeg processing algorithms which are not very good for larger image viewing.

I already have the GH1 with several lenses for my quality work, and am just looking for a lightweight go everywhere camera to replace the FZ50 I used to have for those times when I can't carry my kit. I can wait for the real reviews on the production cameras, hopefully camera settings or RAW format will allow for better images with less overprocessing.
brdavid is offline   Reply With Quote