Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:32 AM   #1

Default Lumix LX5

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/News/...LX5.html#DMC_L

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:54 PM   #2

Good looking camera. However, I wonder about that video button right next to the shutter button. How easy will it be to press the video button when going for the shutter?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:18 AM   #3

Little chance you mistake the movie record button for the shutter; they're too different.

GReat to see a successor to the (brilliant) LX3! But what happened to the shiny metal rim around the rubber grip? The LX5 doesn't quite look as classy as the LX3.. It's just the look, okay, but I personally like that 'sophisticated' and classic appearance a lot.

Being the happy owner of the LX3, I read stuff on the web about the LX5 with great interest. It seems the improvements over the LX3 (with latest firmware) are rather marginal. Improved shutterrange, zoomrange, and appearantly a better CCD.
The rest is movie or handling related. But CCD compact cameras are generally not too suitable for movie recording, producing vertical stripes and color wash over highlight spots or areas.

I'm rather disappointed to see the lens adapter and wide conversionlens for the LX3 are not compatible with the LX5. That makes it an expensive thing to switch to the LX5, and just get 1x more zoom.. I would have been tempted if they had thrown a same sized CMOS sensor in the back.

Long story short; The LX5 is a great cam, really great; but are the improvements over the LX3 (again, with latest firmware), worth the price?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
Little chance you mistake the movie record button for the shutter; they're too different.
The problem would not be related to how different or similar the buttons are but to their location. For people with large fingers, as they press the shutter they may accidentally press the video with it. Obviously I'm just speculating based on the pictures. It's hard to tell for sure whether the design will cause the issue or not by looking at pictures. But, the potential is there, just like the mode dial on the ZS1/ZS3 being accidentally moved while shooting because of its location to the right of the shutter. The fact that Pana changed that design on the ZS5/6/7 placing the mode dial after the shutter tells me that the design was indeed flawed. We'll have to wait and see!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:58 PM   #5

The pro of the camera is that it looks like you can use the evf from the gf2 on it. Which ia really nice ability.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The problem would not be related to how different or similar the buttons are but to their location. For people with large fingers, as they press the shutter they may accidentally press the video with it. Obviously I'm just speculating based on the pictures. It's hard to tell for sure whether the design will cause the issue or not by looking at pictures. But, the potential is there, just like the mode dial on the ZS1/ZS3 being accidentally moved while shooting because of its location to the right of the shutter. The fact that Pana changed that design on the ZS5/6/7 placing the mode dial after the shutter tells me that the design was indeed flawed. We'll have to wait and see!
Well I didn't meant mistaking them by sight; That's pretty much impossible But the shutter and movie record button are very different in size and feel; and the shutterrelease sits higher than the movie rec button, and inside the ring of the zoomlever; I'm convinced you can't mistake them by feel, or accidentally press the movie rec at the same time. At the LX3, the focus button sits pretty close and right of the shutter, and I never hit it accidentally; not even with big handgloves (I wear the largest sold over here because my hands are large). Let's hope that's a good sign
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:59 PM   #7

Has anyone been able to figure out how fast this is in continuous shooting mode (unlimited, not just limited to X pics in Y seconds)?
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote