Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:34 AM   #11

Looks like there are a good number of us like-minded folks! Hurrah!!

Those who constantly update for the latest features will possibly never be happy. It is sort of sad to see so much speculation start about forthcoming new models 3 to 4 months before they actually appear, with some people (& I mean in general, not just on this or indeed any specifically photography forum) who must ultimately be disappointed because the updated gadget they crave does not have the feature they crave the most.

There does seem to be a lot of concern with longer & longer zoom capability. Have people not realised that the best zoom tools, in many situations, are attached to the ends of your legs!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Outlaw View Post

Trying to have the latest version of anything electronic (cameras, phones, laptops, etc) is wasting money just to keep up with the cool kids.
My “golden rule” is - never try to keep up with “the cool kids” - always bring them down to your level!

My FZ38 and I will, hopefully, spend years together - and even so, I doubt I will have discovered all its capabilities!
Micawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:54 AM   #13

When I need more than what my 35 offers then and only then will I upgrade to a DSLR, but thats gonna be a ways off and until then I am VERY happy so far with my 35k and still have not involved myself fully into it's benefits.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Just wanted to say that I am awaiting delivery of my FZ38.

By my side are my TWO FZ3s (Ex FIL died) which have always served me well.

Since there is prob little resale value I might start tinkering with one of the FZ3s now.
rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:33 PM   #15

rizla-

Panasonic actually received a prestigious award for camera durability in the last decade. So I would not hesitate in purchasing a new FZ35. In fact I am still using, and having fun with my FZ28 and FZ18, both of which work just as well today, as the day they were purchased.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:13 PM   #16

I'll be here too! Nothing wrong with the FZ35, great camera to learn on and lightweight to take on your travels.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:24 AM   #17

I know this thread is a bit old, but it reflects my thoughts exactly. That is why I just placed an order for the FZ35 through Amazon yesterday. The price was just too good to pass up ($220 right now). I intend on keeping this camera for a long time.

In fact, my biggest worry is that the battery will no longer be available when the one that comes with the camera dies (which is why I kind of wanted a camera that used AAs). My hope is that even if Panasonic don't make it anymore that companies like Lenmar will. That was probably the reason I didn't go for the FZ40. If Panasonic stops making the battery and since aftermarket ones don't work right I would be hosed. That and the increased price for a chipped battery is too much.

I was looking at DSLR lenses the other day. I noticed that the longest lens seems to be around 400mm. I know there are longer lenses, but they get mega expensive (not to mention huge). I also found out that a 400mm lens isn't exactly cheap, either. I would like to get a DSLR someday. Maybe after the FZ35 dies for good. I just kind of figured I don't really want to be spoiled with a huge zoom that some of these superzooms have and then go to less zoom on a DSLR. It sounds stupid, I know. Since the FZ35 can zoom out to around 486mm a DSLR isn't all that different. I know that for what a DSLR might lack in superzooming, it more than makes up for in a slew of other ways.

Anyway, that is just a bit of my crazy reasoning.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:36 PM   #18

Hi JayC, once you come to terms with using the FZ35 you can always progress to a DSLR but still use the FZ for quick shots or when you don't want to carry the more weighty camera on a hike - why wait until it "dies"? It seems a few people in this and other forums have at least two different cameras in their kit. Enjoy your FZ and we look forward to seeing your first postings here.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:42 AM   #19

Well, having started this thread some 8 months ago I was a little taken aback, but pleased, to see it has re-surfaced. Good to see how many happy owners there are on here. I absolutely love my FZ38 & my DSLR has not seen light of day for quite some time as FZ is perfect for hiking, travelling & generally carrying about "just in case a photo-opportunity arises". In fact it is about to fulfill the initial reason for purchase as I am taking it on my first visit to Athens later this week for 3 days. I can travel only with hand luggage for this short break as there is room for clothes etc AND camera in my carry-on rucsac. The DSLR + lenses + accessories took up virtually ALL my hand luggage size/weight allowance on previous overseas travel.

JayC - are you investing in a couple of spare batteries - non-Pannny available at very reasonable prices (I got Energizer). I use them in rotation so they all get discharged/recharged on a regular basis so they should live a long time.

Like many on here I am still getting to grips with all the camera features so until I've mastered everything & then moved on to mastering creative picture taking I'll not be looking at a replacement or upgrade.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Hi JayC, once you come to terms with using the FZ35 you can always progress to a DSLR but still use the FZ for quick shots or when you don't want to carry the more weighty camera on a hike - why wait until it "dies"? It seems a few people in this and other forums have at least two different cameras in their kit. Enjoy your FZ and we look forward to seeing your first postings here.
Well, right now my budget won't allow for a DSLR. My budget was originally around the $200 mark and then the FZ35 dropped to $220 so I jumped on it. It's going to be a while before I get a DSLR. Since none of my previous cameras really had any full manual settings (Samsung S85 (gave it away) and currently Canon SD1100) I want to get to know what those settings are before jumping into the feature-rich world of DSLRs. I hope that made a little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie six-20 View Post
JayC - are you investing in a couple of spare batteries - non-Pannny available at very reasonable prices (I got Energizer). I use them in rotation so they all get discharged/recharged on a regular basis so they should live a long time.
Yeah, I want to get some extra batteries eventually. That was one of the main reasons I decided to go with the FZ35. It seems to have better options available for batteries. I liked the AA option of the Kodak (AAs will never disappear ), but ever since it went out of stock at Amazon back around the holidays the price just never came back as enticing as it was. When the Z981 came back at $200 at Amazon I just couldn't justify it anymore when the FZ35 cost marginally more and, I feel, is more camera.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote