Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Is my new FZ38 already obsolete?

Having recently bought an FZ38, I was enjoying getting to know the camera & the great information exchanges posted on here to help me get the best from it. Now it feels like it is about to become obsolete as new models are out & all talk is of the new kids on the block. I understand progress, but is this not all getting a bit crazy? How many people are going to ditch their relatively new purchase in favour of the latest model?

I intend to keep my FZ38 for a loooooooong time. It has so many possibilities & I cannot be the only person who wants to improve their photography rather than their equipment. My avatar, over on the right of this post, is my late father's first camera - purchased in 1937, & still in regular use up until early 1960s. He then had a couple of rangefinders (Agfa models), until splashing out on a Pentax ME Super SLR in late 1980s. This was being used up until the day he died in 2005. I expect he might by now have gone digital - perhaps in 2008 or so. I have a Pentax K100D DSLR - it works, it take great pictures. I only bought the FZ38 because travel overseas has become so difficult with a heavy DSLR + lenses +accessories outfit weighing down my hand luggage.

Last weekend I was in Liverpool to see the Shackleton Endurance Exhibition - photos taken by Frank Hurley in Antarctica in 1914. B&W prints from glass plates, rescued from a sinking & flooded ship. Stunningly refreshing to see. No pixel peeping. No noise. Just fantastic & timeless compositions. No camera will let me come anywhere near making pictures of that quality!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2

brownie six-20-

I would not be disappointed at all. The FZ-35/38 is a very good camera indeed. Please notice that the yet to be announced FZ-45 is only a slight up-tick from the current FZ-35/35 model.

Regarding the photographs from the Schackleton Expedition. Your FZ-38 weighs a mere 14 ounces, I dare say that the camera that took those photos was probably 35 pounds or around 17 kg and the whole kit, including the tripod was probably over 100 pounds or 50kg.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3

I assume that is a rhetorical question......

The FZ35/38 was an awesome camera last week and will also be awesome tomorrow and even next year. Trying to have the latest version of anything electronic (cameras, phones, laptops, etc) is wasting money just to keep up with the cool kids.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:03 PM   #4

I suspect the IQ on the FZ40 will be no better (and maybe even worse) than the FZ35/38 due to the exta pixel count on the same size sensor. The screen is a bit bigger and the zoom is a bit longer but nothing you'd really be bothered about.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:11 PM   #5

Oh - definitely rhetorical :-) Cherokee. You echo my sentiments exactly! I only recently changed my 10 year old mobile phone - & only then because the battery was obsolete & would not hold a charge. Otherwise it did what it says on the tin!

I shall enjoy my FZ38 for many years - just hope there are gonna be plenty others around here to share the discussions with. I am not disappointed - just sad at the speed with which our toys are thrown out of the prams!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie six-20 View Post
I shall enjoy my FZ38 for many years - just hope there are gonna be plenty others around here to share the discussions with.

I'll be here!
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:38 PM   #7

Always remember the rather popular Israeli adage - "the best is the enemy of good enough"! A good camera in hand is always much more enjoyable and useful than the one you never get that's always going to be newer and better.
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:34 AM   #8

There will always be another model out just after you buy yours. With electronics, everything you buy is already obsolete. As an old fart, I don't worry too much about all that. If my current camera delivers for me, then what possibly could a new one do better? Well, zoom. If your current camera only goes out to 720mm and the new one will zoom to 820mm, is that enough of a reason to buy the new one? Or maybe an extra 100 iso performance? It will have to bathe my dog and make my coffee before I will get excited.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:24 AM   #9

Once I buy a camera I like, I tend to use it for 3 to 5 years, or until it
dies, about like my Computer and Laptop use
will1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
With electronics, everything you buy is already obsolete.
Very true. I like my FZ28 as much as I liked by FZ3 and both are still doing well, one with me and the older one with my friend and I didn't go for the FZ38! Newer models keep on coming and may be better too, but there's no point in investing in them if you already have a good camera.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote