Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:15 PM   #11

I made a few more photos this day, but am confused. I sometimes don't feel any difference between the normal Focus mode, and the Macro Focus mode (not the zoom macro). I feel like I get the same kind of quality with both focus-modes, or am I standing too close, or too far away? Here's a few I made today, I hope you like them, and please let me know how I should improve the usage of the zoom/focus mode (AF/AF Macro/Af Macro Zoom).

Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:20 PM   #12

When you zoom it doesn't let as much light in, but increases depth of field because the Aperture gets smaller so that could be some of the issue that you are seeing...so Aperture or "A" Mode and keep it at the lowest setting of 2.8 and then stay about 12" from your subject if you are using the LC-55...but you can focus then inch closer and refocus repeating until you get the red out of focus warning then back up just until you get a green auto focus confirmation....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:12 PM   #13

they look great !!!
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honnes View Post
...Oh and, is it normal that the topleft often shows that Power O.I.S icon, especially when zooming in? (that red 'shaking' hand)
You only see the shaking hand if the shutter speed gets below a certain level (I don't know what the limit is but I think it depends on the FL). It's just a warning saying that camera shake may occur and cause blurriness.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:29 PM   #15

Thank you for the feedback and advice . When I am on A-mode, I can't get my F-stop at 2.8 when I'm zooming in, am I doing something wrong then?

As for the LC-55, would it be recommended to get that close-up Lens for photos like these, and what's the exact benefit? (I'm a real beginner) Above that, I'm not sure if I'm ready for an additional lens like that, and that I should explore the camera a bit more before taking such a step Also, will it "stack" with a UV filter, as in, can I attach them both at the same time? (I order that one a few days ago)

And as for the 'shaking hand' icon (which is actually a camera I noticed today lol), you are right Tullio, the more nervous I got with that icon on the screen, the more I failed in taking the desired shot ;-), but then, I was excited at the same time

Tomorrow I'm going for a cycle through a forest and some nice nature paths, and I'll make sure to make a pitstop with the camera, and take a few more shots, I'm afraid I got addicted to taking photo's since I got the camera
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:21 AM   #16

Honnes-

Good work! Those photos look good with excellent color and sharpness.

When in "A" or Aperture Preference mode and zoomed you will not be able to select F 2.8. There is nothing wrong with you or the camera. Its just a matter of optics: as the lens zooms out the available aperture becomes less. That is why you cannot select F2.8.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:18 AM   #17

great shots, honnes.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:20 AM   #18

Thank you for the replies and I'm glad others like them as well, and thank you for the info about the Adepture Mode, Sarah. I usually use P-mode and zoom in on the subject, and sometimes try Macro Focus, but I'll need to check that out more, as I don't see/feel much of a difference.

For some reason, it looks like the first set I took are lots sharper compared to the few I posted later in this thread. Is that because the bee is a smaller subject, and thus harder to put to focus on, or should I have taken a bit more distance?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:03 AM   #19

honnes-

Without seeing and understanding the exact photo environment, it is difficult to say exactly. However, with a small object like a bee, spot focus would be the best for quick accurate focus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:14 AM   #20

Thanks for the advice Sarah.

I will try my best to get the best out of it next time . What metering mode is adviced for close-up photos? And, when should I use area focus instead of spot? I'm used to put it on area when I zoom out, and when getting close, I most likely put it on spot. Is that good, or... ?