Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1

Default My first few pics with FZ38/35

Hello all,

After reading a lot on this forum, and trying out a few things, settings and so on, I think I'm ready to post my very first few photos. I took them in our garden :-), and I tried to crop them a bit with CS4, and hope I didn't mess up that bit lol. I left the photos untouched, and hope you like them. Feedback and advice to get better photos is much appreciated, but it felt good already to achieve this kind of photos

Also, if I posted the photos in the wrong way, please let me know, I just included them with the IMG-tags.

I'm not even sure what kind of animal it is on the photo, and if I'd do a guess, I'd be ashamed if I guess the wrong kind lol, anyway, enjoy (hopefully)

On the first photo, I altered the lightning a bit, I don't know the settings anymore, but for the rest, I used AWB, Spot focus, and the metering mode on the small dot, I guess it was 'Spot' or so. I left the rest on auto, and the picture details all on +1, and the noise on -1. Oh and, is it normal that the topleft often shows that Power O.I.S icon, especially when zooming in? (that red 'shaking' hand)

Last edited by Honnes; Jul 23, 2010 at 5:24 PM.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2010, 6:05 PM   #2

Honnes
Those are great close-up images - just great! The third images is my favorite. I have always had an interest in macro images and especially those of insects. Keep up the good work.

Kenny
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:03 PM   #3

Well done!!!
Very nice!

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:19 PM   #4

1st one is mind bogglingly superb! Well done.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:56 AM   #5

Hey,

I'm a brand new fz35 owner as well. Thank you so much for posting your settings! i really dont know a lot about the camera settings but you stated that
" I used AWB, Spot focus, and the metering mode on the small dot, I guess it was 'Spot' or so."

i was under the impression that spot focus and the metering mode is the same thing? can anyone clarify this?

These photos are amazing. Really nice job. keep it up.

Were these taken in p mode?
did you use a tripod?

really impressive.
JonnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:02 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies, and I value it that you like them . As for the first photo, I changed the lighting settings from AWB to, I guess outdoor or so, but nothing manual, and I took them all in P-mode.

In a previous topic of mine, I asked as well what the difference between metering mode and the AF mode (focus) is. For as far as I know, and understood, the metering mode measures the amount of light that is available. I still think it's hard to explain it in easy words, as I still don't get it fully as well, except that it has to do with light conditions. For more information, or to get a better understanding, maybe we should read the Wiki Page once more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode

I didn't use a tripod in any of those photos, and so I had a few that totally failed as well due to my shaky hands with hope that everything goes ok . I think that's exactly why the "red-hands" icon show up when you zoom in.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:53 AM   #7

As a relative new owner of the FZ38 and still exploring all the many facilities the camera has to offer it was great to view your photos and see what can be achieved.

It isn't till you see photos showing such detail that the wonder of nature can be appreciated,as Freddy Mercury of Queen sang, "It's a kind of magic" and so are these photos. Brilliant.
Suffolkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:12 AM   #8

I was impressed myself as well when I achieved this lol. On the small display it looked like the picture was take from a distance, but zooming in amazed me, and taking photos of insects shows how beautiful Mother nature made them .

These photos were taking from like 1-2meters away from the subject by the way. I don't know if I got too close that way, or if further distances shouldn't be a problem.

The sun is shining here already again, and will take a peek in the garden soon again, hoping to find a bee on the roses
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:27 AM   #9

Great work Honnes! Did you use any lens attachments, or was it only the camera?
alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:57 AM   #10

Thanks kibaris!

I didn't have anything attached. The first thing that I will attach though, is a UV filter, which I just ordered.

PS. I think the bees don't like our garden, none was sitting still, and the only pic I took (not checked yet) was a wasp, but not on a flower.