Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Because they are indeed different modes. I shoot most of the time in "P" as I can control how high the ISO goes, because I can use Exposure Compensation, because I can use Flash compensation, etc, etc.
I understand this. What I am wondering though, is if the photographer in question only changed to "P" and DID NOT change any of the default settings (i.e. ISO Limit, Exposure Compensation, Flash Compensation, etc.) was there any real difference between "P" mode and "iA" mode in this case?
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:41 PM   #12

Frank-

Yes, they do tend to look differently as the IA mode generally chooses (a) could select a high ISO setting, (b) could select a Scene Mode, (c) could change the IS mode, (d) could change the focus mode... etc

As I said previously, you are only along for the ride, when using the IA mode.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:24 PM   #13

Quote:
I would recommend that for outdoor photos that you limit the ISO increase to ISO 400. For indoor use limit the ISO increase to ISO 800.
I am a newbie so, please forgive a stupid question. I have read about a lot of noise above ISO 400 on this cam. What happens to the shot if I just set 400 as the MAX (for all situations) and the camera actually needs a higher ISO?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:04 PM   #14

The shutter speeds will get lower, and depending on the lighting, the camera may have to be on a tripod.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:13 PM   #15

Quote:
(4)Set the focus point initially to center point focus.
I am looking through your steps and also looking through the manual to figure out how to set each item. I do not see "center point focus" as an option on the camera or in the manual. I see 1-area-focusing (High-Speed), 1-area-focusing, and Spot-focusing. Which one do you recommend?