Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:30 AM   #1

Default What filter should I use/get ? (FZ38/35)

Hello,

I've seen some beautiful shots taking with filters, like a polarized one. I'm having a hard time in getting to know which filter I should get, and that's where I end up creating this thread .

On a website, I saw the following filters available, there were of course lots more, but that could be considered spam lol, so I just posted a few.

Which polarisation filter would be recommended of the below, and is the portret filter any good?

By the way, those seem to be relative cheap, compared to, for instance a Hoya CP Filter ( €70,-), or is that a total different filter?

polarisation en ND (waterfall filters):
46mm hama circ pol €17,50
46mm vivanco circ pol mc (multi-coated) €17,50
46mm hama NDx4 €8,00
46mm hama NDx4 HTMC €11,00
46mm vivanco NDx4 €7,00
46mm ND4x €7,00
46mm izumar NDx4 new!€10,00
46mm sony ND8x €10,00
macrofotografie:
46mm B&W centerspot €12,50
46mm hama centerspot €7,50

portret photographing:
46mm hama weichzeicner duto €10,00

As a very nice example, I wish to achieve things like below, made by no-ice,

Thanks in advance for the advice

Last edited by Honnes; Jul 28, 2010 at 3:59 AM.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:45 AM   #2

lol im sure my photo is not actually a great example, the FZ38 is easily capable of capturing a nice blue sky,but i do like trying to use my circular polariser to make it a slightly deeper blue. i am struggling tho setting it right. unless actually, the filter doesnt have a decent coating? and maybe i will not get rid of the effect of 2 shades of blue in the sky? or was i at the wrong angle to the sun? hmm lol. Mine is just a cheap zeikos tho that i purchased from ebay.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, but Zeiko is not in my list lol :P. I like your image, despite there's shades in the clouds, but the overall picture is what I really like a lot

I find it odd that I find more expensive ones other websites. The Hoya CP filter (regular) for €32 for instance, and the Sigma CP filter for 40.

Are the ones I mentioned not any good? Oh I'm starting to worry, and don't want to make mistakes in buying the wrong one, or one that is no good.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honnes View Post
Thanks for the info, but Zeiko is not in my list lol :P. I like your image, despite there's shades in the clouds, but the overall picture is what I really like a lot

I find it odd that I find more expensive ones other websites. The Hoya CP filter (regular) for 32 for instance, and the Sigma CP filter for 40.

Are the ones I mentioned not any good? Oh I'm starting to worry, and don't want to make mistakes in buying the wrong one, or one that is no good.
Mine cost 6, so that should give you a clue. The ones you have listed should be of a very good quality im sure
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:45 AM   #5

Since you mentioned coating in your previous post, would the multi-coated be a good choice then?

And just for the records, I do need a 46mm right? (I"m such a beginner) I only know so far that I require a 46mm uv filter which I can attach and should leave attached all the time, which I ordered a few days ago. Do I need the 46mm polar then as well, or do I need another size, and can the UV and polar be attached both at the same time, or is that not recommended?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honnes View Post
Since you mentioned coating in your previous post, would the multi-coated be a good choice then?

And just for the records, I do need a 46mm right? (I"m such a beginner) I only know so far that I require a 46mm uv filter which I can attach and should leave attached all the time, which I ordered a few days ago. Do I need the 46mm polar then as well, or do I need another size, and can the UV and polar be attached both at the same time, or is that not recommended?
yes it is a 46mm you need. you can stack them, but prob best to just use one at a time. they do say a multicoated uv filter is best,though im not too sure why.