Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:39 PM   #1

Default Budget macro

So, i would love to improve my macro shots,but, i am on a very tight budget.
Hopefully i can get advice and sample images from someone who has been in a similar boat.
I am looking at 46mm lenses that screw straight on, and i have also seen adapter tubes for lenses (58mm) for full zoom use. Which is better? both can be had for less than 20, 5 for the 46mm ones.
It has to be those, as i can not justify spending 100 for just some close up photos.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:38 AM   #2

I've just been talking to someone about whether I should buy an expensive or cheaper (macro) lens. I've been looking at LC-55 and DCR-250, and a friend of mine thinks they both achieve the same results, except that the LC-55 is from Panasonic, and the DCR-250 is from Raynox.

I think I'll go for the Raynox DCR-250 . Since there's a store like 1-2 hours away from me, I think I'll pay them a visit soon, to check and compare. The Raynox DCR-250 can be found in our country for approx 60 euro. (= approx 49)

edit -

I've also seen a Raynox 5230 with 5x extra zoom, if anyone reads this bit, and got experience with it, or an opinion if it would be worth it, please let me know

Last edited by Honnes; Jul 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:09 PM   #3

I would be interested in a macro lens too but like you no-ice i am on a budget too so if you find a decent one let me know pelase - PM me. Thanks.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:15 AM   #4

I am about to order a so-called macrofilter, called a 'B&W centerspot' filter, under the catoregy macrofilters. It'll cost me €11, and hope it'll help some. According to the seller, she uses it quite often, but I'm afraid that it'll dissapoint me, because of too high hopes, and well, which seller doesn't say that their stuff is good and should be used ? Anyone experience with the B&W Centerspot ?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:22 AM   #5

It sounds to me that this filter will "blur" the edges and the center remains clear.

Product Description

The Center-Spot filter is a special application filter that has a moderate degree of diffusion surrounding a clear central area that is generally larger than that of the circular diffusion filter mentioned previously. Use it to help isolate the main subject, held sharp in the clear center. While diffusing a distracting background, especially in situations where a long lens and depth-of-field differentiation aren't possible.

Do you want a macro lens or filter?

The FZ38 already has a great macro mode to take good close ups. What are you looking for in your pictures? Do you want a macro lens to get you closer images or bigger images then the FZ38 macro mode?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:27 AM   #6

Hmm....I already had such a feeling it would be something like blurring the edges. Although it's off topic, do you think it will add something to the photo, I think it will look nice, if it's not too much, and blurred gradually and not one center, and an immediate blur around it. What's your opinion?

I asked the seller if it will add something to the DCR-250 which I'll get soon (when I travel to a province close to me, with a great nature to test it on ) ), in which she answered, summarized, yes.

PS. I'm going to get myself the 2025Pro from Raynox very soon (2nd hand, for a good price), so excited
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:35 AM   #7

You can do "edge blurring" on the PC. Picasa has that in the Effects tab called soft focus?

Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:04 AM   #8

I like it when a picture can achieve such without image processing on the pc, so I've now got to decide.

For some reason I feel like not purchasing it, thanks clint
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:10 AM   #9

At least with the software it's free - seems like a lot of money to pay for something the software can easily do. But I'm a cheap old guy.

Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:05 PM   #10

Or you can get this lens and it will really give you some good macros...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote