Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1

Default New to the forum, but not Panny digicams!

Hi Everyone

I'm new to Steves but have had a panny digicam since the FZ1 and actually still have it... went to the the FZ7 and now using the FZ35.... also I've had the TZ1 and TZ5 and am considering the ZS5/7 - but need some advice...

I'm an avid concert goer, usually use my FZ35 where allowed and have used the TZ1 (with not much success) and now my TZ5 (now and then get 'keepers')....so I was thinking that since the ZS5/7 has manual controls, that would be the 'pocket superzoom' to get for concerts...???

I know it's not a DLSR, but will it get better results than my TZ5?? and is the sound quality during recording better????

Thanks all!
MDJoviFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:53 AM   #2

I say yes because the ZS7 has Power OIS Stabilization and can limit ISO to 400 Max or even 800 which I haven't tried...just turn the noise reduction to -2 and Sharpness to +1...it's certainly worth trying as you can buy it from a known retailer that allows 30 days of return period such as Amazon then try it at a couple of concerts...if it doesn't work out return it within the grace period...yes the sound is very clear on the family videos I took with mine and the zoom worked awesome as it slows down when in video mode so you don't overrun the subject with zoom....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:45 AM   #3

I've seen some quite decent concert shots over at DPR - do a thread search, I recall one user saying he set the Shutter manually to aovid blur and let the camera do the rest, in S mode.
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:53 PM   #4

I'm just torn as to which compact superzoom to get - looove the Panny's but not sure it's worth upgrading from the TZ5 from the samples I've seen....hmm...when will the 'next round' of Panny compacts come out - Feb???

Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:32 AM   #5

hmm... guess not too many here are into concert photography....
or at least not with small point & shoots
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6

MDJoviFan-

Concert shooting, just like theater photography, takes some new and different adjustments. A great deal hinges on where you are seated. Keep in mind that the FZ-35 and ZS-7 are pretty much limited to an ISO 800 working speed.

However, that is just the beginning. next you have to adjust the white balance to match the lighting, and then use minus exposure compensation, as required to get the facial tones correct.

Here is a sample theater photo taken without flash, using just the existing stage lighting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote