Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:13 PM   #11

ltz470 - love your pictures, and if it suited my purposed I would definitely have canon s90. I don't know if I have, but I should point out that that the camera I was searching for was a sidekick to my new olympus e-pl1. Instead of buying the long zoom for the olyumpus, whose movies I didn't like much, I wanted to have another camera that would be purseable, with a long zoom and good low light capabilities for school stage performances and fast kids. So I have the short zoom area covered; love my e-pl1!

I did try different white balance settings on both my tz5 and zs7; the most frustrating thing is there's no "flash" white balance setting on the pannies! Using the custom white balance was useless because it would set it without using the flash. Using auto, my tz5 nearly always wanted to choose portrait mode with would take a picture at high iso with no flash, so I didn't use it. The zs7 seemed better with white balance, but i took a series of indoor shots with the hx5, samsung hz30w, and zs7, and several friends looked at the pictures without knowing which camera i preferred and chose the hx5 first in quality. samsung came next, and zs7 last with a definite green tinge to blue eyes and "tan" looking fair skin. Even my profile picture was taken with the tz5 and has me looking more tan - normally at night i glow in the light of the moon
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:36 AM   #12

Understood KW...most likely IR or WB problem...I use AV mode 90% of the time and stay away from the Auto Modes...if you would post some pictures with the settings you are using we could give you some additional insight....glad the HX5 is working for you....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:31 AM   #13

KW,

Kids in action, all point and shoots will have allot of problems keeping up with them. You will most likely not find a pocket zoom that can do what you want do to the shutter lag issues with point and shoot camera. The epl-1 with a long zoom would actually do a better job keeping up with the kids. And it will shoot at 2000iso with decent results.

But if you are just looking for a good zoom and pocket camera, the hx5v and zs7 are about the same, with the back lite cmos. The HX5V has a very slight lead in the low light department over the zs7. But you will not find a point and shoot that meets all your needs, it is going to be a compromise on what you deem more important longer reach or better low light. And the epl-1 does a better job in low light then the point and shoot with the much larger sensor. Even with the kit lens.

PS

have you tried adjusting the white balance on the epl-1 when shooting video. My wife has super fine skin also. And had similar problem when using auto WB. Gettting WB correct really resolve some of the issue.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 1, 2010 at 3:43 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:48 PM   #14

Keldunwoody-

You would be much better served by getting an Olympus 4/3 adapter for your Oly EPL-1 and adding the Oly 40-150mm lens. The EPL-1 can use ISO 1600 rather nicely and ISO 2000 in a pinch.

Long zoom lens cameras which requires small imagers, generally speaking do not do well at high ISO settings. For example, the FZ-35 tops out at ISO 800, which limits anything on stage to things with excellent lighting, which you do not find in most school productions.

Here is a FZ-28 no flash/existing light only photo taken at ISO 800, but the lighting was excellent.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
KW,

Kids in action, all point and shoots will have allot of problems keeping up with them. You will most likely not find a pocket zoom that can do what you want do to the shutter lag issues with point and shoot camera. The epl-1 with a long zoom would actually do a better job keeping up with the kids. And it will shoot at 2000iso with decent results.

But if you are just looking for a good zoom and pocket camera, the hx5v and zs7 are about the same, with the back lite cmos. The HX5V has a very slight lead in the low light department over the zs7. But you will not find a point and shoot that meets all your needs, it is going to be a compromise on what you deem more important longer reach or better low light. And the epl-1 does a better job in low light then the point and shoot with the much larger sensor. Even with the kit lens.

PS

have you tried adjusting the white balance on the epl-1 when shooting video. My wife has super fine skin also. And had similar problem when using auto WB. Gettting WB correct really resolve some of the issue.
ST - I will try to use the epl1 as much as possible - and I can use it for taking movies of kids on stage (I was planning on asking for the panny 45-200 micro-four-thirds lens for Christmas). When I noticed it was having some trouble keeping focus on a fast-moving subject, I looked it up and the autofocus method is contrast detection on micro 4/3s vs phase detection on dslrs. Apparently phase detection is more suited to locking onto and tracking a subject.
I'm going to have to go commandeer my computer to have a look at the videos I took ... I was so concerned about the autofocus I forgot to agonize over the WB
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:54 PM   #16

SJ - That was a nice picture, most impressive. I think you guys may have finally hammered in the lesson that I have been so slow to learn - try your best NOT to rely on the flash, especially if your subjects are at risk of being just a little further from usable flash range (I can just hear people saying, "well, duh!"). That would be part of NOT expecting more from a P&S than I should.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:04 PM   #17

with the epl-1 to get better AF tracking switch it to continuous AF tracking. Not just continuous AF. It will do a better job keeping up with action. But phase base AF is better then contrast base AF.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:08 PM   #18

PS

did you do the latest firmware update. It did a good job of getting the epl-1 to increase the AF speed.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...re-update.html
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:47 AM   #19

Quote:
KW,

OK, I messed around with my camera, and indoors, and got the best white balance using custom white balance. Also, using the incandescent white balance setting worked pretty well in a room light by lamps. If you go into the custom menus to color/WB, to ALL WB +/- you can set A(+ = more amber,-= more blue) and G(+=more green/-=more magenta) to tweak all the wb settings except for your custom white balance. (this from pg.42 in the manual). However, I just now tried it and didn't seem to make much difference in my images; I must be doing something wrong.

Also, I have my "film mode" set to natural, sharp+1,sat+1,cont+1.

Last edited by keldunwoody; Aug 2, 2010 at 1:04 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:49 AM   #20

Quote:
PS

did you do the latest firmware update. It did a good job of getting the epl-1 to increase the AF speed.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...re-update.html

Yes, and it did help a lot. Thanks, though! Oh, and I tried using continuous auto focus tracking and i swear it confused the camera even more. i have better luck having it on continuous autofocus and pressing the focus button when I want it to catch up. Probably user error.