Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:41 AM   #21

use single point if you are going to use continuous AF. It will work better, way less chance of miss focus issues. I only use one point when I shoot my dslr too, as having to many point can cause allot of miss focus. And single point makes the AF tracking better with the epl-1.

The best way to get the wb correct is to use the custom one with a piece of white paper. And use the last wb option. If you do not have it with you. Pick a color temperature that is most appealing to you.

Also is you can not do one with a piece of white paper. You can have the camera do a white balance bracket. That way if you do not know what temperature is exact. It will give you 3 shots with +/- the temp you pick. So if you are a little cold or a little hot, you will have something that may be right.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 2, 2010 at 1:57 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldunwoody View Post
ltz470 - love your pictures, and if it suited my purposed I would definitely have canon s90. I don't know if I have, but I should point out that that the camera I was searching for was a sidekick to my new olympus e-pl1. Instead of buying the long zoom for the olyumpus, whose movies I didn't like much, I wanted to have another camera that would be purseable, with a long zoom and good low light capabilities for school stage performances and fast kids. So I have the short zoom area covered; love my e-pl1!

I did try different white balance settings on both my tz5 and zs7; the most frustrating thing is there's no "flash" white balance setting on the pannies! Using the custom white balance was useless because it would set it without using the flash. Using auto, my tz5 nearly always wanted to choose portrait mode with would take a picture at high iso with no flash, so I didn't use it. The zs7 seemed better with white balance, but i took a series of indoor shots with the hx5, samsung hz30w, and zs7, and several friends looked at the pictures without knowing which camera i preferred and chose the hx5 first in quality. samsung came next, and zs7 last with a definite green tinge to blue eyes and "tan" looking fair skin. Even my profile picture was taken with the tz5 and has me looking more tan - normally at night i glow in the light of the moon
Just for the record - The FZ35 does have a specific Flash white balance setting, which is also micro-adjustable on 4 axis. It also has probably the most powerful flash of any P&S on the market. Pursaeble? Weight wise definitely, but size wise would depend on your purse I guess.

It also uses a bigger aperture at the equivalent focal length of the smaller cams, so can use a lower ISO or get a faster shutter speed.

Greg :-)
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
use single point if you are going to use continuous AF. It will work better, way less chance of miss focus issues. I only use one point when I shoot my dslr too, as having to many point can cause allot of miss focus. And single point makes the AF tracking better with the epl-1.

The best way to get the wb correct is to use the custom one with a piece of white paper. And use the last wb option. If you do not have it with you. Pick a color temperature that is most appealing to you.

Also is you can not do one with a piece of white paper. You can have the camera do a white balance bracket. That way if you do not know what temperature is exact. It will give you 3 shots with +/- the temp you pick. So if you are a little cold or a little hot, you will have something that may be right.
Good idea - I don't think I've tried single point af with continuous AF. I know for sure the camera got lost doing tracking because I focused in very close, and when it went off my daughter's face focus indicator went to red.

ST - so are you saying to use the bracketing to figure out what wb is right for you? then set it for video? hmm......guess that would be good practice in general (the more I read forums the more I feel like a photo "slacker")
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:20 AM   #24

yes you can do that, it will help get the wb correct if you can not custom off the subject with a white balance card or piece of white paper.

Yes signal point works way better with my epl-1 or my T1i when I am in continuous focus modes. And with the epl-1, once the subject is lock in the single point and move around the frame with AF tracking, the subject is track more accurately.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Just for the record - The FZ35 does have a specific Flash white balance setting, which is also micro-adjustable on 4 axis. It also has probably the most powerful flash of any P&S on the market. Pursaeble? Weight wise definitely, but size wise would depend on your purse I guess.

It also uses a bigger aperture at the equivalent focal length of the smaller cams, so can use a lower ISO or get a faster shutter speed.

Greg :-)
That would definitely give the FZ35 an advantage. Thanks, Greg
So, what time is it in Australia? I've just noticed that since I'm such a night-owl here in the US that a lot of my co-posters are in other countries.
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote