Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:29 AM   #1

Default Has anyone owned Panasonics and feel its lowlight capabilities are subpar?

I apologize in advance to all of you panasonic lovers, but I just have to ask. Does anyone else have a "deal breaker" problem with panasonic's indoor high iso or flash pictures? My profile picture was taken with a tz5 from about 5 feet away, and it you pixel-peep it, it's very noisy, smeared, and the color isn't very accurate. And this was the best I could come up with from an entire event in Sept 09. (I don't get lots of pictures of myself as I am the camera holder ).

I had lots of trouble with the tz5's automatic mode - invariably at a gathering, people were orange with weird shadows associated with their image.

I tried the zs7 thinking issues would've been fixed by this time, but apparently I was wrong I still got orange, overprocessed looking images from lowlight pics without a flash.

The thing is, when shopping for cameras previously, reviews almost universally recommended the tz5. And now they recommend the zs7. I find the same troubles there with the panasonics. The sony has much better exposure and natural color.

I realized lots of you will disagrree with me, but I am wondering: how many bought these panasonic cameras baseed on stellar reviews and are not happy now?

Thanks for your replies - I have a couple of friends also wondering what they will hear from other users.
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:45 AM   #2

Actually all point and shoot with a 1/2.23 sensor are not good in low light without a flash. The panasonic zs seems to have a slightly weaker flash then the canon sx210 or sony hx5v. So if you are shooting a subject out of the 10 ft range, it may not give great results.

So if you are looking to shoot without a flash with a point and shoot, you will need to give up a long zoom. As all the 1/1.67 and 1/1.7 sensor camera have short zooms. Around 2.5-5x. Panasonic LX3 and LX5, Canon G11 and S90, and the samsung ex1. The s90 is the most compact, the others are more jacket pocket.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 31, 2010 at 3:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:47 AM   #3

I have read that the Fujis and Sony's with their special low-res low light modes can do excellent things, albeit with static subjects.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:53 AM   #4

the sony and fuji is slightly better, but shooting pass 800iso they do get noise and really not much better then other pns with the same size sensor. You may push out 1000iso with the fuji or sony

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 31, 2010 at 1:56 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:19 AM   #5

By "orange" I am assuming the White Balance was set to auto...try shooting with the Incanadescent White Balance setting and that will take the orange effect away on the ZS7...the best low light performer right now for my money is the Canon S90 with the f/2 lens and 1/1.7 sensor...although you are limited to 3.8X Zoom...we own both the ZS7 and the S90 and have used both indoors/outdoors with good success...but the S90 is clearly superior...all of these were handheld and would have been much better if I had used a Monopod and even better with a Tripod...but that defeats the purpose of a P&S hip camera for me...the first pic's in the S90 thread are without ANY PP..*****oll down and see the same pic's sharpened 2 clicks in Windows Photo Gallery to get a better idea with PP...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...no-museum.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-museum.html

Last edited by LTZ470; Jul 31, 2010 at 3:24 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:39 AM   #6

It does help out that the larger sensor point and shoots all come with f2 or f1.8 lenses, which really helps in low light without a flash. But you give up a long zoom.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:11 AM   #7

And I ask the question again...How much zoom do you require for indoor shots?...the Canon S90 covers "indoor" shots as far as I am concerned...

Do you use a 70-200 indoors on a Canon 550D to take pictures of family? More than likely most people are like our family a 17-55 f/2.8 will do nicely indoors for family or even outings...would it not?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:17 AM   #8

but if it is a general purpose camera, having only a short zoom can be a hinder. Now if you have multi camera's then you get the luxury of a short zoom for low light and a long zoom for everything else.

For low light I like to have 1.8 or better personally at 28, 50 or 85. But when I do go outside, I have a 28-135 and a 70-300. But that is the luxury of having a dslr. But with a point and shoot, you either have 2 or 3 to cover all your needs.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
but if it is a general purpose camera, having only a short zoom can be a hinder. Now if you have multi camera's then you get the luxury of a short zoom for low light and a long zoom for everything else.

For low light I like to have 1.8 or better personally at 28, 50 or 85. But when I do go outside, I have a 28-135 and a 70-300. But that is the luxury of having a dslr. But with a point and shoot, you either have 2 or 3 to cover all your needs.
The Canon S90 is 28-105mm equivalent focal length at f/2.0-4.9 which is a perfect walk-around camera for most applications?...you can even set the front ring to adjust focal length in steps simulating a DSLR Lens sorta...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:10 PM   #10

I have the 70-300 also. 105 still can be short.