Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Akilesh and Hones-

The lens adapter is used to be able to use a larger, and hopefully more common thread size filter and to prevent vignetting. A rather common lens adapter for the FZ-35/38 is produced by Bower and it screws not to the lens, itself, but to the inside threads of the outer barrel around the lens, allowing the lens to move easily and freely through the adapter, and providing a much more common 58mm thread at the end of the Bower adapter.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah-

Quick question about that particular lens adapter - do you have to screw that lens adapter off with the filter when you're turning the camera off and putting the lens cap on? Or will the lens cover snap right onto the filter?
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:21 PM   #12

Thanks for the info Sarah, but I don't understand it fully. Does that mean I could have better ordered other filters of with a larger radius than 46mm?
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:34 AM   #13

i have bought an adapter with 52mm filters...But im able to see blacked edges when using that filter...is there any solution for that???
akilesh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:52 AM   #14

FlimFlam, Honnes, and Akilesh-

If a lens adapter is used, keep it in place when you are finished taking photos, As it serves a protection device for you camera's lens and lens assembly. Based on the final diameter of the adapter, you may have to get a different lens cap to fit correctly.

Naturally, when you are using a CPL (Circular Polarizing Filter) that filter will have to be removed when shooting indoors as it substantially reduces the light transmitted to the lens. Just unscrew the filter and leave the lens adapter in place to protect your lens.

The camera's lens extends through the lens adapter. Therfore, it is not attached to the lens itself, but to the threads of the outer and larger lens barrel through which the lens extends and retracts.

Finally, as Akilesh has demonstrated for us, when the final diameter of the lens adapter is not sufficiently large enough, you will get vignetting. When a lens adapter whose final diameter is too small is used, then when the camera is in the wide angle position, when you look through the EVF, you will see a circle, or a portion of a circle, and not the rectangular shape that you are used to seeing. To rid yourself of that circular effect, you have to zoom outward so the lens has an unimpeded view and the lens adfapter is no longer in the way and obstructing the camera's view.

In actual use, I have found that a lens adapter with a final diameter of 58mm is sufficient to not cause vignetting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:35 PM   #15

Thanks for the information Sarah, but it still confuses me a bit. I have a UV filter attached directly to the lens, or well, to the small bit on the inside that moves when you zoom in and out, and I ordered 2 other 46mm filters as well. Those can be used the same way, right, or did I do something wrong? (gosh, feel like a fool!) I received them today, but not home yet, so can't try it out currently.

PS. I do have a tele-lens (2nd hand bargain), which has an adapter that goes on top of the most outer bit of the camera. It's the adapter of Lumix that officially is being used in combination with the LC-55 (LA3E adapter?), and on top of that, a step-up ring is mounted, and on top of that, the tele-lens. Is that how it should be done with the filter as well? I don't see any problems currently why a 46mm filter attached to the 'inner' part where the lens is, would be wrong.

I hope you understand me a bit, as I lost myself as well on that part a bit, lol. With 'inner' part, I mean directly on the lens, and the outer part/ring, the 'shiny' part on which the 'Power O.I.S' words and so on are written.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:18 PM   #16

Default Filter/Accessory Lens installation

OK, Honnes-

Let's begin with the 46mm UV filter that is attached directly to your lens. The whole purpose of this filter is protection for the lens. By using a 46mm filter the filter can be attached directly to the lens itself, it operates smoothly within the lens barrel, and the stock Panasonic lens cap will work on it without any modification. So the 46mm UV lens is a whole separate issue, all by itself.

The LC-55 is a Panasonic product that is designed specifically for the FZ-18/28/35/38. It compensates for optical anomalies with in the lens. So it is a product for a specific camera type.

In contrast the Raynox DCR-250 is designed for multiple cameras. Thus, it is provided with a variety of ring adapters to make a fit with many cameras. The DCR-250 does not come with ring size adapters in the 46mm size. Therefore you will have to use a tube type lens adapter that screws into the inside of the lens barrel housing. I have attached a photo of one of the most commonly used lens adapters. It is the Bower brand lens adapter. Notice that the final (the most outward) thread is a 58mm thread.

The Raynox DCR-250 comes with an adapter ring that fits the 58mm thread. So, the DCR-250 will screw on to the outward end of the lens adapter in the photo. The purpose of the lens adapter is to provide sufficient room for the zoom lens to operate without touching the DCR-250. You have to be careful to ascertain that there is enough room within the lens adapter for the lens, and the 46mm UV filter to operate.

To check that there is sufficient room within the lens adapter, fit the lens adapter to the lens barrel, but do not install the DCR-250. Then turn on your FZ-38 and check the lens extension. If any part of the 46mm UV filter encroaches on the threads area, where the DCR-250 is to be installed, you will have to remove that 46mm UV filter, before installing the DCR-250.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:19 AM   #17

Anyone know of a supplier of the Bower adapter for FZ38 in the UK (& a guide price)? I tried googling but only got US suppliers.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:11 PM   #18

brownie sx-20-

Look on the UK version of E-Bay for the Bower lens adapter.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:46 AM   #19

Thank you for your help and information once again Sarah! :-).

I have now 3 filters, but not sure which filter is best in which situation haha, but i'll figure out . So far, I use the CPL for a better sky and reflection on the water, and I have an ND filter to get nice looking water effects. (I use S-Mode and put it on 1/2 sec, but get often too much light, any advice?)

I also have a telelens, but not used it effectively yet, but will soon when I head to the Zoo
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
brownie sx-20-

Look on the UK version of E-Bay for the Bower lens adapter.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah, but it brings up no results for UK. I was not desperate to buy one, but would have liked the option without the high delivery cost involved in buying from US.

Honnes (or anyone for that matter) - which ND grade did you get? ND2, ND4 or ND8. I am planning to get one but cannot decide, nor afford all three at the mo.