Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:47 PM   #21

brownie-

In most cases the ND-8 is used.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:25 PM   #22

How much does ND-8 differ from ND-4 (I got that one) ? I will post a pic later I made of some flowing water. Do you have any suggestion how to take them best, Sarah?
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:34 PM   #23

This might help
http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/pro1d-06.html

http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/pro1d-05.html

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:02 PM   #24

Thanks clint, just took a quick peek, but can't find any nd-8 filters here in the Netherlands *sigh*, will take a better look later .

For some reason, I found some sites which have the ND filter (even Ebay), but none of them are 46mm. Is it just me, or isn't the 46mm one available? On ebay I found the 52mm one, in the Dutch stores I find 49mm, and higher. I do have the ND4 46mm, so there must be an ND8 one as well, I thought.

I think I'll just go for a 46 mm -> 52mm stepup ring, and get the 52mm one, and hope the 'difference is clear' between the nd4 and nd8 when I take a few shots . Reason I go for 52mm would be that that's a very common size (isn't it?)

Apart from that, is there a difference between Hoya and Hoya Digital Pro or so?

Last edited by Honnes; Aug 12, 2010 at 4:10 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:41 AM   #25

Honnes - if you use the 46>52 step up ring make sure you set things so that the lens does not automatically retract if you have not used the camera for a short while - the step up will not allow the lens to retract into the barrel. I tried a 46>49 step up so I could perhaps use some 49mm filters I already had, but even this will not retract.

I also noticed a dearth of 46mm filters available, but am following up a possible "bankrupt stock" ND8 today here in UK - will let you know if I track any down. Postage from UK should not be expensive.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:44 AM   #26

Thanks for the information brownie, I would not have thought of that. As we speak, I ordered a 46>52mm step-up ring and a Hoya ND8 52mm already, but if you have any 46mm ND8 from Hoya or B+W, please let me know. I can always sell my filter, or, if in time, return it .
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:28 AM   #27

Hi Honnes
I just picked up a Cokin 46mm ND8 for 3.99 over the counter of a local old-fashioned photgraphic suppliers. He also supplies by mail from his website - said he had ONE more of these filters left in stock & if you email him ASAP he will give you a price for sending to Netherlands. I will PM you with his email details (so you get first refusal in case of a flood on here of people trying to buy it!! Even he is having difficulty getting hold of 46mm filters at the moment from anywhere, but he's the sort of guy who picks up all sorts of oddments - his shop is like a photographic equipment museum!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:22 AM   #28

Hah,

You're brilliant!

I sent him an e-mail and hope to receive a response soon, I'm excited, and I canceled the other orders I placed .

I just hope he'll accept euros haha, but hopefully I can pay via Paypal, so I can convert it easily to pounds .

Also, I have to add that I never have heard of Cokin (I mailed him "Sokin", lol, as 'Cokin' sounds like Cocaine to me, which is not my kind of stuff). I hope it is any good, can you post a shot of some water? I guess it's lots of rain there currently, looking at the weather.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:43 AM   #29

You're welcome. we are all here to help each other!

Cokin is a well respected filter name - they are French & best known for their filter systems where you have a filter holder into which you slot large square filters. You just have adapters to attach the holder to whatever lenses you want to use & can then use the actual filters no matter what size your lenses. Usually used for film SLR cameras, where you might have several lenses, all with differing filter thread sizes. Perhaps not so common in use now that things have gone digital & you can apply all the effects in post-processing.

Not sure when I will be snapping some water but will report back!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:13 AM   #30

You're spot on there when it comes to helping each other

I'm very curious about the results. I will post a photo here soon, but forgot to bring my camera (shame on me) to work, and take a look at it in my break . I already took a few with the ND filter, but not sure if I did it properly, as I used the ND4 filter, and a shutter speed of about a second. If I used any less, I didn't get the move-effect in the falling water, but it's so easy to get the photo over exposured in such situations.

[update]
I just received a reply, with the well-known order form, and put my order. Credit card only it seems, but luckily I can borrow one

Last edited by Honnes; Aug 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM.