Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:30 AM   #1

Default About Filters for FZ35

I want to know about the filters for fz35...basically i also want to know wat a circular polarizing filter is??
Wat is a uv filter, neutral density filter, star flare filter???? Do we need to buy an adapter to attach filters???
akilesh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:48 AM   #2

Hello,

The UV filter will reduce the haziness and foginess. I leave my UV filter attached all the time (46mm for FZ38), and it protects the lens at the same time. Also, most of the times, you won't see the difference between a photo with or without the uv filter, but offers good protection.

The circular polarizer filter improves contrast and brings you in most cases more vivid colors, which is useful for landscapes for instance.

For as far as I heard, ND filters are most likely used to achieve a motion blur effect with slow shutter speeds. (e.g. watefalls, oceans and rivers are often shot with this filter).

I haven't used or read lots about the star flare filter, just that it's often used by night or daytimes, but don't know the exact effect.

Last edited by Honnes; Aug 2, 2010 at 6:13 AM.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:31 AM   #3

Default Thankz Honnes

Its been 20 days since i bought this camera...Im concerned about i might get scratches in the lens, thats y planning to buy some filters...thankz for the info... i also found out about star flare filter..It is the same thing as a cross screen filter. Each adds four/six/eight lines of flair to the bright spots in the image.

And should i buy an adapter b4 i buy the filters for fz35???
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:23 AM   #4

I can't tell after later this week to be honest . Im a new FZ38 user as well, and I have to add that I got mine maybe 2 weeks almost. I received the UV filter last week. (Hoya 46mm)

The 46mm can be attached without the need of any adapter, and if I'm not wrong, I can attach another 46mm one without trouble on the uv filter. I will receive a CP and ND filter later this week (both 46mm), so I can confirm it then , and I think it won't be a problem. I also was considering the cross screen filter, but I think I won't use it much, but for fireworks it might be cool, hehe, or a starry night .
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:06 AM   #5

Here in India in ebay onli 52mm filters are available. So i think i need to buy an adapter for that..Teme how the filters are after u get t...And i heard some uv filters produce some glares at night...S t true???
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6

As for the glares at night, I'm not sure. I do have read that for some circumstances, it's best to remove the UV filter, maybe that's why you won't see the difference in most shots .

And I'm really sorry, but I don't understand the 'Teme how the filters are after u get t..' line. I guess you made a little type while in a hurry, or the mouse clicked on a position .

I found my UV filter by just googling for 46mm UV Filter. I heard the best brands are B&W, Hama and Hoya, but I don't know how much of all that is true, I guess they're all ok .

Also, if you don't wish to use set-up rings or an adapter, you can try to search international on Ebay, or go to a direct site of another language (like ebay.co.uk, ebay.de, or ebay.nl) and look over there and check how much the postage costs would be, but I guess there has to be some sort of shop around that sells them in India
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:23 AM   #7

hehe...it was not a type error...i meant " tell me how the filters are after you get it!!!" CPL filter which u ve ordered...meant that!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:35 AM   #8

Take care of using a larger than 46mm filter with an adapter! I hoped to use my 49mm CPL with a 46-49 step-up but even that smallish step prevents the lens from retracting into the barrel. Could cause damage. You will probably get vignetting if you stack 46mm filters.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9

I'll post some results after I received the filters , and can anyone tell me how to prevent vignetting when I'd like to use for instance 2, or 3 46mm filters? I'll mainly have 1 or 2 attached, which probably won't cause vignetting, but I'd love to know how to avoid vignetting

And akilesh, after reading the line again you typed, I understood it right away hehe
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10

Akilesh and Hones-

The lens adapter is used to be able to use a larger, and hopefully more common thread size filter and to prevent vignetting. A rather common lens adapter for the FZ-35/38 is produced by Bower and it screws not to the lens, itself, but to the inside threads of the outer barrel around the lens, allowing the lens to move easily and freely through the adapter, and providing a much more common 58mm thread at the end of the Bower adapter.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote