Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:11 PM   #1

Default Confused about focusing (modes)

Hello,

I've just been out shooting again, and I usually put my focus on the AF Macro when going for flowers, and small things like insects, and I use the Macro Zoom, when I am in the position of nearly sticking the camera on the subject. I'm usually on the P-mode, and often try different light-settings just to 'try out'. Is this a good way of going?

Also, what I noticed and was just wondering about why the 'AF' text changes to 'Tele' when I'm on the AF Macro and go above 10x. Why is that, and what does it exactly mean?

I also noticed, but never found a real purpose for it, that there are different focus modes, the Qaf (focus after you stopped shaking or so?) and the Caf for continues auto focus. I always have it on Qaf, would Caf be better?

Last but not least, can anyone explain me how useful AF-Tracking is, and what the AF/AE Lock button does? I do see the text AE-Lock and AF-Lock appear on the display, but I would not have a clue when to use it.

Many thanks in advance for the information, and I hope I'm not the only one who will learn from this
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:43 PM   #2

After I have been looking and reading lots around, I thought it would be nice to share parts of the information I gathered . The AF Macro changes automatically to Tele to get clear shots in the 11x - 18x zoom area.

So far I figured out that Qaf means that you need to press the button halfway to focus, and Caf means continues focus, driven by the motor and eating battery.

Also, The AF-Lock is what most of us 'automatically' use already, which is nothing more than half-pressing the shutterbutton so the focus is put on the subject, and then reframe. As for the AE-Lock (Auto Exposure Lock), I so far read that you can lock the exposure on a certain area to capture detail of an area that would otherwise come out dark. You lock the exposure, recompose, and take the photo, but I have not found any situation in which it would come in handy to use it.

As for the P-mode in combination with the AF Macro and Macro Zoom I use, I still don't know which is best, and what my distance should be to get a good shot, but so far I did not do very bad in my opinion .
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:12 PM   #3

honnes-

You have done a very good job with your research and experimentation. As to what mode to use, I have found that "P" or Programed Auto works best.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote