Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 15, 2003, 4:25 PM   #1

Default FZ10 as compared to....

Here's my - as of today, 15 Dec - FZ10 and my 'man's' camera the RX. The RX is a manual focus with program features and removable lens'.

The RX new is about $900. ..add a decent prime lens (1.4x55mm) and medium range flash and you're up to +- $1500.

......you all know the features of the FZ10.

Now: Are there any questions about the future of film?

My first impressions of the FZ10:

I do not like the feel.. The body does not seem tall enough. Either my little finger has to hang-in-space, or my thumb has to bend down to hit GO.

My Sony DSC-S75, (that took this pic) tho' perhaps only 8mm taller, feels better in the right hand. In contrast, the FZ10 feels better in the traditional, 2-handed, (left hand as cradle) shooter's position because of the nice long barrel.

Panasonic needed to speak to a Euro/Am designer before they spec'd the 'packaging foam' finish on the body. It makes the body look like isit is formed of dense styrofoam. The barrel is fine. I prefer a Black camera (have three other's) but the Sony in Audi-Silver wins the first impression, beauty contest.

The battery was up to speed in a half hour - great! Don't you love those things that tell you to WAIT for 24hrs before using!?

It makes nice little noises..

I am glad it is here, but, like a new baby, I'm not sure it really looks like me yet...

Cheers.

Jim

PS: my Sony's over at Ee-baay (in case they have a delete-bot ) for under 300 in case you had a friend who didn't like brands with more than four letters in the name...
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2003, 4:34 PM   #2

What about a comparison of the pictures :roll: ?
georgekowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 8:20 PM   #3

George: First, it been six hours now and I've yet to shoot my first FZ10 shot - so; I don't really know. And I don't mean to sound flippant, but it doesn't make much difference any more.

My life is one of "internet pages" - prints, slides and enlargements are a thing of my past. (In a way past life I had a darkroom at an Army airfield outside of Frankfurt and a job shooting headshots with an old Leica and a Rollei TLR) So, for me - who cares?! I like good tools, seem to gravitate to German stuff, and quality never get's old. At the resolution I can get on my Mac I can please myself with composition, lighting and ...Photoshop.

Anymore, I keep a Yashica P&S in my truck just for the sake of having one - no shots in two years. My wife takes a little Rollei P&S to her girls'-only reunions. The other cameras stay home.

Here's an example of what I need (and got from the Sony) from a camera: http://www.320fx.com/handrails/Teak_handrails.html

I make all my own pages and the ability to simply go back to the desk 5min. after taking a shot and perhaps posting a new product in 30 minutes is so much more important than prints. If I had kids around, or if pictures were a hobby - I'm sure I'd have a different attitude.

I got the FZ10 because it represents a helluva value by traditional photo standards...but I'm not warming to it yet. It's a cold camera.

Jim
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:05 PM   #4

wetstuff-
I hope you do warm up to it, otherwise that "helluva value" is just money thrown away; and a good camera in the eyes of some just going to waste.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 4:28 AM   #5

Wetstuff, what are you comparing the FZ 10 to ? Maybe to another digital cam ? You know apples to apples etc..

I also hope you live in a warm climate as the FZ 10 does not like cold weather, or at least the 2 that were returned at Ritz didnt, so you just might keep that film camera handy for cold weather shots.

But I have to agree with you the FZ 10 for the price is one great camera.

Good luck with it, and post some images if you can when you do decide to use it.
Buckeye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:10 AM   #6

M.ach - I have a MB ML320 and a Ford Escape. The Ford is not nearly the car/truck that the MB is, but it's also a "helluva value". The Ford's 200hp V6 kicks it, it's got a spectacular sun roof, leather and handles reasonably well . I much prefer the MB, but use the Ford - and will keep it - because it represents a helluva value at 1/2 the price of the MB. I suspect the FZ10 will actually compare better than the Ford, even tho' I (as in me personally) may think it has some cosmetic/ergonomic flaws.

Hey Buckeye - I don't miss the COLD! I went to school in Minneapolis, lived in Madison Wis. ....and even tho' I'm swimming with rednecks, bible nutcases in a cultural backwater - and miss the overall civility of the midwest - I'll pass on the cold. I often work outside on airplanes and gimme' mid-40's anytme!

Cheers.

Jim

....got an idea for a cover/sleeve/protector. I don't like dings on my tools.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:00 AM   #7

Wetstuff-
I am a transplanted redneck, bible nutcase from the backwaters and take offense to your caustic remarks.
This is a forum for photography so all I'll say is that I don't think you have any idea what "civility" is, and leave it at that.
Yu'al have a good day now, ya' hear!
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:21 PM   #8

My apology if my opinions sanded an exposed nerve, and you're correct, this is about cameras - specifically the fine line proffered by Panasonic. I'll attempt to limit any further comments to the subject.

With a local smile: "Have a nice day."

Jim
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:45 PM   #9

That was one of the FEW reason why I don't like my FZ1 -- the ergonomics. It has decent ergonomics, but my old Olympus UltraZoom (35mm film camera) has better ergonomics, and believe it or not, so did my rather huge Sony FD91. Even my Kodak DX3600, which is pretty much the same form factor as the FZ1 (minus the big nose) had better ergonomics, finger rests, grip strips, etc.

I guess I really didn't notice it too much until I tried a Minolta DiMage Z1. Now, I didn't like much about everything else concerning the Z1 (in my opinion, the FZ1 is a better camera than the Minolta Z1, which is why I still have the FZ1), but the ergonomics made it feel like I put a glove on my hand that also takes pictures. The Minolta Z1 sure does look weird (hence the flying spaceship commercial for it on TV), but it feels great in my hand(s).

I've gotten used to hand positioning on my FZ1 now, but I still think Panasonic designed it without thinking that our fingers have more than just one set of digits/segments. If I had a paw or a bad accident with scissors or something, I could better hold my Panasonic, but ....

Still, love the FZ1...regardless of this basic flaw. I'm sure you'll like your FZ10, too, especially since you're not really thinking of it as a replacement for your 35mm film camera as much as you're thinking of it as a totally new toy/tool. Your expectations are reduced down to whether you simply like it or not, instead of any preconceived notions of it replacing something else and living up to those standards. It's a good way to think of things and will reduce disappointment...and that's across the board with all purchases.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote