Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:49 AM   #1

Default My 1st HDR attempt (single file)

Today I was playing around with the (new) options of CS5, and tried to create a HDR image out of a single JPG.

I have tried doing so with my bee I posted in the close-up section. With the 'HDR Toning' option, I made a pic with expore +1, expore -1, and together with the original, and using the denoise function of Topaz (the raw camera in CS5 had a hard time on this image), I created the result below

What do you think of this first single file HDR attempt of mine? To show the difference, I posted the original bee as well (the un-denoised one)

#Non-HDR and non-denoised

#HDR With single JPG

Last edited by Honnes; Aug 6, 2010 at 9:00 AM.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:18 AM   #2

It's a nice effect but it's not what I'd call HDR. HDR should show more detail in the shadows and highlights whereas yours shows less. Macros tend to not give good HDRs in my experience because being small subjects, there tends to be very uniform lighting across them.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that's a hoverfly trying to look like a bee and not an actual bee.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the information Martin, I already thought that there was something missing, but I thought not a bad affect for a macro photo turned into a HDR. I'll give it a try tomorrow to create a better HDR, with a 'normal' shot, and will take a few loose photos with tripod .

When I looked at it earlier, I had such a feeling it would be a hoverfly, but I'm so bad at names of insects, but don't like to call them 'thingies' either lol.

Some say that taking a RAW image and adjust the EV will do too, but that it won't be as good as the real HDR.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Honnes - I agree with Martin - it is a great picture - but not really a HDR one.

You should also try Martin's program for making HDRs from single fotos (see his signature). It works great and it is for free.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the positive comment about the way it is, and I got the point in why it's not a real HDR one, but as I've never done anything with HDR before, I thought it was haha :P.

I also tried the program of Martin, but my macro image didn't come to the result I posted here, but maybe that's because, like Martin said, it's a macro shot Apart from that, I tried a few other photos and the result was above my expectations, very nice program!

Last edited by Honnes; Aug 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6

honnes-

Please do not be discouraged! It was a very good first attempt. We all learn by doing. The folks that are very successful with HDR are those that are experienced and do it quite regularly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:37 PM   #7

Not a bad first try, Honnes! But generating HDR or HDR-like images is always a tricky business. You really need to just play with the knobs (or sliders, in this case), and find the best result, especially when you start up with the handicap of just having 1 picture to base your work on.

For example, I have a few of the same sort (1 RAW picture -> 3 exposures -> 'HDR') here, displayed in 'not-so-great' to 'alright, I'll live with it' level:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4810871664/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4810873306/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4816460899/

Maybe we can get Edufloyd drawn into this - he seems pretty good at this HDR thing.

Just remember, there's no 'Right Result', there's just 'A Right Result You're Happy With!' Essential when you're doing something everyone has an opinion on like HDR photography.
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the input, and I'll surely give it another *good* try

I like your first try best, FlimFlam , and if I had my tripod and I wasn't driving my car, I'd have a hell of a great sunset on photo, but hopefully tomorrow will bring the same sunset .

According to Edufloyd (I know him too lol), a bunch of photos with bracketing should do the trick. Should I take them all on raw + jpg, or would just JPG do with different exposure settings? I'm not sure, but think both would do + that RAW can be edited a bit more if required.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honnes View Post
According to Edufloyd (I know him too lol), a bunch of photos with bracketing should do the trick. Should I take them all on raw + jpg, or would just JPG do with different exposure settings? I'm not sure, but think both would do + that RAW can be edited a bit more if required.
There's a lot of conflict on that, from what I've seen. Some people think JPEGs are enough, some people don't - all I know is, I've seen great results from both methods, so the point's probably somewhat moot. I just prefer raw, because I take enough shots with action that I don't want to be monkeying around dropping back to RAW from JPEG and miss what I was trying to shoot at. (well, that, and I have a 16GB Class 10 card in my camera, so I can afford to waste space! )
FlimFlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:31 PM   #10

I do prefer the original
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote