Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:24 AM   #1

Default printing photos

My mother got a couple 8x10 prints made of some photos of mine, she got these in our local Asda (wallmart) where the machine told her on a couple that they were of poor quality. Now, the photos came out really well, suprised even me! I was just wondering, how large a print can be made from photos off the FZ35/38 before quality is a real issue.

this was one of the photos

no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:58 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Assuming you are not struggling with noise from a high ISO shot then you should be good for 30" x 20" or larger. The thing is, with a larger print then you will be generally viewing it from further away so you still don't see the pixels.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Assuming you are not struggling with noise from a high ISO shot then you should be good for 30" x 20" or larger. The thing is, with a larger print then you will be generally viewing it from further away so you still don't see the pixels.
thanks , though on some photos, even low iso, i still have quite a bit of noise
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:48 AM   #4
Super Moderator

That is a common problem with small sensor cameras, I get similar issues on my Canon SX1 and Panasonic TS2. Make sure you are exposing correctly as this will help when printing, if you are boosting exposure in post then noise gets worse. Also if printing use a bit of noise reduction software, however don't make them look plastic. Lastly a small amount of noise is not a major issue to worry about as it is usually lost in the final print unless you've large areas of a single colour really making it stand out.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
That is a common problem with small sensor cameras, I get similar issues on my Canon SX1 and Panasonic TS2. Make sure you are exposing correctly as this will help when printing, if you are boosting exposure in post then noise gets worse. Also if printing use a bit of noise reduction software, however don't make them look plastic. Lastly a small amount of noise is not a major issue to worry about as it is usually lost in the final print unless you've large areas of a single colour really making it stand out.
thanks,sounds great advice