Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Default New FZ35 - First Snaps (indoor/iA-mode/flash)

A couple of my daughter with her souvenirs from Disney World and one of my son working at the computer. Does anyone know why the table and chair in the dining room on the second pic are not focused (and the banister pole in the first pic)?

Thanks,

Frank
Attached Images

Last edited by ftlee; Aug 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:04 PM   #2

Thanks for posting your photos, Frank-

Every one of your photos show some element of under exposure, unfortunately. I am sure these are taken directly from your FZ-35 without any post processing. Consider downloading Picasa from www.google.com. Its free and very easy to use.

The logical question is how do you overcome under exposure? Firstly, please keep in mind that you should keep your camera to subject distance at no more than 11 feet. Whenever is is greater than 11 feet you are into an area of under exposure.

While it is much better to nail the exposure properly for the best image quality. The next question is how much can post processing help your photos? Well, for example, let's take the photo of your son which is the most under exposed photo of the group.

I captured and post processed the photo of your son and I think you can see a difference.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3

I get that on some of my shots also. Your shutter speed was 1/30 with flash and aperture was 2.8. I know sometimes I rush things and move the camera. It looks like motion blur to me. Zooming in on the picture shows an overall fuzziness. A higher shutter speed and flash should help.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Aug 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:18 PM   #4

Clint-

I posted this on June 27th:

Keep in mind that with the FZ-35/38, unless you are in the "S" or Shutter Priority Mode where you select the shutter speed, the FZ-35 will automatically use a shutter speed of from 1/30th to 1/60th of a second, when in the "P" or Programed Auto mode. That is not fast enough to stop any action. That is the reason that blurring occurs in your photos.

Therefore, to stop even slow action, the "S" or shutter preference mode has to be used and the shutter speed advanced to at least 1/100 th to 1/125 th of a second. But keep in mind that this is once again reducing the amount of light reaching the FZ-35's photo imager. Therefore, you are going to have to reduce the Flash Range considerably, or increase the light output by adding an accessory Slave Flash to get the proper exposure.

Also, this will most probably take some experimentation to achieve the correct exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:56 PM   #5

Quote:
please keep in mind that you should keep your camera to subject distance at no more than 11 feet.
I was standing well within this range. I couldn't have been anymore than 4-5' away. Any idea on how to improve them (in camera settings) so that I don't need to PP?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6

I am a camera "newbie". Could someone please instruct me in "dummy" terms on how to setup the FZ35 so that I can better results?

P.S. Would the ZS7 have taken better shots in iA-mode?

THANKS!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7

FT - there are a couple of ways of doing things.

My suggestion would be to try a few and compare.
1 - Keep trying iA mode with the flash up.
2 - Go to the Portrait mode (looks like a woman's head) - then select Indoor portrait (flash open)
3 - try the P mode with flash open

Take about 3 pictures of the same subject then switch mode and take 3 more of the same subject and so on. Then way you won't get mixed up on what mode you used.

Copy them over to the computer for comparioson.

4 - Download Picasa 3 and install it on your PC. It's very simple to use. I often use the Light Fill functions or the "I'm Feeling Lucky" function (it adjusts light and color - have no idea why they named it that).

I used the fill light function to the picture of your son and it helped brighten it up.

Don't get discouraged - and you have to remember there is no "one setting" that will take good pictures all the time.

As mentioned before stay close to the subject (which you did).
Hold the camera steady - push halfway down to the shutter button and let it focus.
Then a steady press on the button (trying not to move the camera).
Keep holding it steady while it writes to the memory (only another second)

For all the "great" pictures you see online there are probably lot's of "not so good" or mediocre shots still on the camera. I'll take 30 to 40 pictures and post only what I feel are the best ones. You don't see my grubby ones (and I get lots of them and I wonder "Why did it do that????")

Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Frank-

Clint provided some good advice. In addition you can use the Flash Compensation feature on your FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:44 PM   #9

Does anyone know why the first 2 pictures are blurry in some areas (i.e. table and chair in 1st one and castle and banister rail in the 2nd)? I am getting a lot of "blurry" pictures along with razor sharp ones (all indoors).

Last edited by ftlee; Aug 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:55 PM   #10

Probably because they are farther away. It's like aiming a rifle - a little off aim when your target is close a near miss. A little off aim when your target is far away - a big miss. Same principal when focus a camera - if you move the camera slightly with a slow shutter speed - the closer objects are not affected as much as the distance objects.

Camera movement - subject movement - slow shutter speeds = blur