Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:31 PM   #11

Default Full sunlight and still noise...

Is this usual with this camera at full sunlight?
100% crop of a plant in full sunlight.
72mm, f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO-80.
Notice the noise in the picture.
Thanks for any comment before I decide to bite the 20% restocking fee and return it.
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:13 PM   #12

Mystery-

You will feel better if you make an exchange, so I would move ahead along those lines. However, at the same time you have to realize that this is indeed a small imager super zoom, and not a Nikon D-300 or a camera of that quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:57 AM   #13

Thank you for comment Sarah.
One interesting comparison I did today.
My friend also has FZ35 and I took several shots in same settings. What I noticed is from his camera, the noise is smoother and blended rather than from my camera where the noise has distinct outlines and makes pictures grainier.
I also noticed that the built in memory in my camera already had 6 or 7 pictures taken of a camera shop that has batteries and camera accessories' aisles. So I guess, the camera was opened and tested in the shop???
Anyways, I'll contact the retailer and ask for a brand new unopened replacement camera. Hopefully, another unit will be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Mystery-
You will feel better if you make an exchange, so I would move ahead along those lines. However, at the same time you have to realize that this is indeed a small imager super zoom, and not a Nikon D-300 or a camera of that quality.
Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:27 AM   #14

Default Imho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Is this usual with this camera at full sunlight?
100% crop of a plant in full sunlight.
72mm, f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO-80.
Notice the noise in the picture.
Thanks for any comment before I decide to bite the 20% restocking fee and return it.
One should note that at f5.6 diffraction will be an issue. Using A mode, or P with Program shift will enable you to keep the aperture wide open, and you will see visibly sharper shots.

As much as I respect shoturtle, I disagree with his assessment of the handheld speed; certainly for single shots the success rate can be low, but handheld with the 3 shot full-res burst mode, you can achieve very sharp shots at often 1/8, and easily with 1/16 and above. (My recent post of night shots using the ZS3 (with inferior Mega OIS to the FZ35 Power OIS) shows this.

Directly addressing your concerns about noise: the noise in your photos to my eye is rather strange for ISO 80; as you point out, not just the amount but the type of noise.

If I was in your shoes I would both return it, and insist that if you are paying for an advertised NEW unit then you rightly expect to be supplied with one.

Best of luck
Greg :-))
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:55 PM   #15

Default RMA is authorized...

Talked to support and RMA is authorized.
I'm still not convinced that my unit is defective but at least I'll have peace of mind when I get a new one.
I don't think the new one also will meet my expectation after looking at pictures from my friend's unit which does show little better smoothness but still has noise in ISO-80. Will update with new shots soon.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:24 AM   #16

F number is wrong (Id go with 2.8) , but there is still too much noise for iso 80 as chillgreg said.You found some photos in built in memory ,its perfect way to return it and resolve all dillemas , you cant get two defective pieces
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:27 PM   #17

Most images people post in forums have some sort of PP done to them. That's not to say that you can't get great quality pictures right out of the camera, but to get those you need the right conditions and correct camera settings. Also, most people don't post 100% crops. Most P&S cameras will produce images that look good up to a 35-40% cropping but deteriorates rapidly once you pas this mark. So, I'd say unless you must crop an image 100%, don't bother doing it just to check IQ or you will be disappointed almost 100% of the time.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:26 PM   #18

Default High Noise Reduction results in better jpeg

Thanks for comments hrvoje and tullio.
Before I shipped the camera back, I took several shots in different NR settings and NR @ +2 gave a lot smoother noise in images. Grains of noise was replaces with a blended noise. NR @ 0 was not acceptable.
Since I have to stick with this camera after I get new one, I'll have enough time to play with it's features and settings.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:30 PM   #19

Sure NR +2 will give you less noisy images but at the expense of detail. To me, NR +2 produces smeared images with some real bad artifacts. But, if that's acceptable to you, that's what matters.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:39 PM   #20

@Mystery123
There is no point in comparing crops from a 7 MP camera with crops from a 12 MP camera. Bring the FZ35 images at 7 MP resolution and than compare crops at 100%. Here are the two cameras compared in lab conditions with the FZ35 resized to exactly the same resolution as Canon A560. The samples are from imaging-resource image database (there is a Compare sample images option, you must include All cameras to see also the Canon A560 as it is older).

To my eyes, FZ35 is quite visibly better than A560. I had two Canons (with 3 and 6 MP) before FZ35 and I also thought the noise on the FZ was high when viewed at 100% (the Panasonic noise is different from the one of Canons), but after I made the comparison at the same resolution the FZ advantage was clear. Also the noise reduction software works very well for FZ35 (because it has a lot of details so a NR photo from FZ still keeps enough details).

About your samples, especially those with the leafs at ISO 800 ... you can not expect quality at ISO 800 from a compact camera with a 1/2.3" sensor. Also, you can obtain better results if you use A and S modes when shooting (Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority) and keep the aperture large. The iA mode may be stupid at times.

If you hold this camera well you can make full zoom hand held pictures at 1/15 (assuming the capture is still and not a dynamic one) and no zoom hand held pictures at 1/5. That works for me without too much trouble, the stabilizer is that good. Also, I lock the ISO at maximum 400, there is no real quality over that (unless you resize the image to 2 MP or so - ISO 800 with some NR and resized at 2 MP can look pretty good)

utopium is offline   Reply With Quote