Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Default FZ35-Outdoor shots -- noise in daylight

Finally got the camera and went to local park for some pictures.
Most pictures are taken in iA mode with full zoom.
Even with daylight and iso of 160, there is a lot of noise especially on leaves. They don't look smooth. Trees don't have any detail. The pictures look horrible and way worse than my Canon P&S A560.
The prairie dog's eyes look blurry on the edges.
I also tried manual focus but still the pictures are not great.
http://a.imageshack.us/img833/6885/p1010129.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img838/9315/p1010122s.jpg

If you look at full size, it's all noisy.
This is a shot of a stream and the trees all look like oil brush painting.

http://a.imageshack.us/img266/1711/p1010167u.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img812/701/p1010168l.jpg

I like the zoom, but if the zoom always takes picture with bad quality, what's the point?
Not sure what's the trick to get good pictures with this Camera.

Last edited by Mark1616; Aug 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM. Reason: Full size photos posted, replaced with links
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2

Hi Mystery 123, I never use IA, the result are noisy, washed/greyish colours pictures!
The noise is a problem since this mode usually picks a high ISO.
Try for far better results A mode and a custom WB for real colours. Set the desire aperture with the joystick and the camera will chose the proper shutter speed. As for the noise, i always use ISO 80 and I'm VERY HAPPY with the results,noise free images in almost any light situation. With more than ISO 80 the noise becomes noticiable! I know many times the shutter speed becomes too slow, but in those cases I use my tripod, most of my shots are landscapes so i don't care about using it.

A few examples...only #2 and #4 has a little post processing, the others are stright out of the camera
Attached Images

Last edited by Edufloyd; Aug 7, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
Edufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:44 PM   #3

Looking at the tree shots, especially the second one. It is allot of camera shake. At 1/8 of a second, it is almost impossible to hold a long zoom steady enough even with IS. So the branches looks blur and any wind would make things worst.

The first shot was at 1/30 of a sec, that is about at the limit of handholding ability with IS. Was there any wind that could move the branches, because at a lower shutter speed subject movement can be affect the shot greatly.

The groundhog photos do not seem that bad, exposure may be a bit off, with so much light on the subject, EV down 1/3 or 2/3 my help with the strong lighting.

Also if you can include a 100% crop, it would make it easier to see if it was noise or motion blur.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:14 AM   #4

The trees and streams pictures were taken without any zoom. The noise is everywhere so I don't think its the wind. Full pictures are here: http://a.imageshack.us/img266/1711/p1010167u.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img812/701/p1010168l.jpg
May be saturation, noise reduction and sharpness settings need tuning...
thanks for helping me figure this thing.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5

1/8 of a sec is almost impossible to hold steady even with no zoom. 1/30 is about the avg limit.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:15 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I've replaced your photos with links as they are too large to view in the browser here. We suggest a largest size to be included in a thread of 1024 pixels for the longest side.

Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:40 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The first thing is that in the megapixel race, manufacturers are cramming more pixels into their sensors. You A560 has 29 MP/cm where as the Panasonic has 43 MP/cm, this means that they are quite a bit smaller so less sensitive making noise more apparent. The good thing is with some noise reduction and downsizing you can get better results. I wouldn't do the noise reduction in camera but rather using software like noiseware pro or noise ninja etc.

How do you display your photos, do you print big or just share online etc and normal web sizes? Unless you are printing huge then you won't have issues as you won't be pixel peeping as we are here.

None of the shots were taking in overly bright conditions looking at the exif data in them getting down to ISO 800, 1/30 and f3.2 or ISO 400, 1/8 and f2.8.

I would say the ISO 160 shot is nothing major to worry about at all. The ISO 250 shot seems to be slightly out of focus which isn't helping the situation either.

As has been suggested I would play with the other settings and see how you get on.

It's not only the Panasonic that suffers with this, but most megazooms are in the same situation (Canon SX1/SX20, Fuji HS10 etc) as they are using such small sensors with lots of pixels crammed in. I use an SX1 when I don't want to carry a dSLR with me and as long as I work within limitations I'm fine, I just don't expect the same results as I would from one of my full frame dSLRs, but it does mean I can get the photo when I couldn't be bothered to lug all my kit around.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8

Sorry, double post...reply below.

Last edited by Mystery123; Aug 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:47 AM   #9

I still see Canon A560 taking better pictures.
Here is 100% crop of indoor shot with flash to compare.
Canon's colors are real to what I see. Pany's colors are over saturated on the yellow trophies and stones on the wall. All Saturation, Sharpness and NR settings set to 0 in Pany. Also, Pany has more noise on stones and overall.
I can't return the camera so need to learn to take good pictures. So far, it doesn't feel like I upgraded from old P&S Canon.
The only good thing is the video. Pany's HD video is great and clear even with full zoom.
Now, only if I can get good images, I'll be happy with it.
Canon A560 in auto mode:
f/3.5, 1/60 sec, iso-200, 12mm, max ap 3.625
http://a.imageshack.us/img188/4079/canona560.jpg

Panasonic FZ35 in program mode to match the Canon's settings:
f3.4, 1/60, iso-200, 14mm, max ap 3., 35mm focal length 78.
http://a.imageshack.us/img405/7623/panasonicfz35.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
1/8 of a sec is almost impossible to hold steady even with no zoom. 1/30 is about the avg limit.

Last edited by Mystery123; Aug 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:17 PM   #10

Default Not getting good shots...

I took some pictures on day light again and still see grains on 100% crop.
Could it be a defective unit?
This is 100% crop, NO zoom, shutter speed 1/160, ISO-80 and f4.0
Face is filled with noise:

This one below is 100% crop, 14mm zoom (3x), shutter speed 1/250, ISO-80 and f5.6:
This one also has grains and chin and neck don't look smooth:

I'll check if I can get another unit and test again.