Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1
LEK

Default new FZ35, UV filter and hood cover ?

Hello. I fear this is just the first of several questions for my new FZ35. Just got it yesterday. Looks great, but the lens seems SO vulnerable I'm almost afraid to use it, especially since I usually take photos outdoors at parks and beaches and such. So I need to protect it ASAP. I read about the UV lens filters but am confused. Is there one particular one that is made for the FZ35 that fits it well that I can buy easily? And once I get it, is it just really for protection or does it have a photographic purpose. I thought I read it helps with atmospheric haze or is that another filter? Can I just leave it on or are there some situations where it will hurt the photo? Also trying to figure out this hood cover, and are there situations in which I shouldn't have this on? Is it okay in all outdoor situations or is it a take on and off type of thing? Sorry, I know there have been similar questions lately but they didn't seem to give me quite the answer I needed.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
LEK

Okay, I read a little more and it seems that I need to get a 46mm UV filter but that brings up other questions. But I am also reading it can cause distortions in the pictures? Is this true? What is the brand you would recommend that won't cause distortions? Is B & W the one to get or another brand? I see several different types of UV filters in that size, some say haze filters, some say IR/cut, and other things. What is the type to get?
Do I need to take it off for indoor pictures, read conflicting info on that as well. And can I put a polarizing filter over the UV filter without causing problems, that still seems unclear?
Still need to figure out the hood cover, when I should use that, etc, so input on that would be helpful too. Thanks!

Last edited by LEK; Aug 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:41 PM   #3

Loren-

Yes, a 46mm UV filter is a very good investment to protect your lens. I have never had any distortion from any UV filter. Hoya, Kekko and B&W are very reliable brands of filters. However, the B&W filters are measurably more expensive in price.

The 46mm UV filter fit directly on to the FZ-35/38 lens. I just put mine on, and leave in in place as "lens insurance." The 46mm lens is small enough to pass through the lens barrel without any problems, and the Panasonic lens cap that came with the camera will fit nicely right on the 46mm UV filter.

Enjoy your new camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:09 PM   #4
LEK

Thanks. Do I get the haze filter, the IR/cut or something else?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:31 PM   #5

I got this one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

It's worked well for me. I leave it on all the time. You can leave it on even using extension adapters for telephoto and macro lenses.

The lens hood is like a ball cap - keeps the sun out of your eyes. It helps cut down flaring from the sun. Many like to use it on outdoor sunny day shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEK View Post
Thanks. Do I get the haze filter, the IR/cut or something else?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:23 PM   #6
LEK

This is the UV lens filter I'm thinking of getting. Is this a good lens filter? And is it the right one for the FZ35? (46mm?) It's more expensive than some of the others but I want something really good that won't hurt the image quality and will protect the lens whether I use the lens hood or not. . Is this a good choice?
http://www.amazon.com/46mm-Ultra-Vio...1654817&sr=8-1
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:23 PM   #7

yeah, that is a really good one, it is no a regular UV protector filter. It is actually a Haze1 filter. It will give a bit of a warming effect.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:18 PM   #8
LEK

Oh, a warming effect, do I want that on my camera all the time? maybe I should look for a regular UV filter of the saem quality. What are they called?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:27 PM   #9

In gray days it helps out to have a warming effect. As the Haze 1 filters actually really filter out allot of the UV compare to a UV protector, that to very little but degrade IQ. That is why a Haze filter does a nice job in cutting haze. And why UV protectors are just advertise for protection. But I do like the warming effect. The shots do not look as cold on gray days. And very cheerful on sunny days.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:48 PM   #10
LEK

Am I understanding you to say that a regular UV filter, not a haze filter, does degrade image quality? Or are you saying that it just is neutral and just doesn't warm the image? I found another B & H, this one looks like it is clear without a warming effect. Or perhaps I should get the one by Panasonic? I shoot alot in the mountains, but want to leave the filter on all the time so I'm nervous about something that will change the picture. Are there times when the UV haze filter will hurt the image, like indoors, or other conditions? Here's the other one I found and the Panasonic one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_Pro.html

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...1482:b15875875

Last edited by LEK; Aug 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM.