Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:21 PM   #1

Default FZ100 Review

A very good FZ100 review from Photography Blog

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._fz100_review/

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:42 PM   #2

My question is, when is Panasonic going to invest on building a camera with a larger sensor to improve high ISO performance?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:57 PM   #3

This is an even better review ------- by actual people.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36028477

Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:30 PM   #4

I agree, Clint-

That is a very positive review. However, you have to keep in mind that the pricing of the FZ-100 places it side by side with the Pentax Kx and Sony A-500 DSLR cameras. But in the final analysis, the cost of duplicating that 25 to 600mm (in 35mm terms) lens in the DSLR cameras would be cost prohibitive and make the DSLR cameras a lesser choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:44 AM   #5

But the FZ will be challenged hard by the m4/3, and the cost of a 600mm reach is already out there with the olympus 70-300mm lens and adapter. And panasonic will be coming out with the 100-300mm lens. Mount either to the epl-1 and you get greater image quality, and low light performance and better AF systems. Though it cost is more, it is not prohibitive compare to aps-c cameras.

To me it seems that all the small sensors out there no matter what they do to them just stalls at 800iso. You push pass 800 and you have a real noise issue. And on the long end of all these 20x megazooms, they all seem a bit soft imho. But at least you can reach out that far.

Though the FZ100 is less expensive, you are also giving up of performance. You get what you pay for, is still very much true.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 15, 2010 at 2:46 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:36 AM   #6

But can they make coffee???

Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:41 AM   #7

Default Not me, thanks mate!!!

Might as well throw my 2c in...

I think that for people with specific feature requirements, it will be a great camera. eg Jack, Clint and LT. They are not pixel peepers, and produce amazing pics with any camera they touch.

But for myself, I am extremely happy with my FZ35, and am not even remotely considering either the FZ40 or the FZ 100, primarily because:
  1. I admit I am a little bit of a pixel peeper, in that I enjoy seeing the amazing sharp and fine detail that the FZ35 achieves. No matter the subject or settings, the FZ35 out-resolves the new cameras 100% of the time; from minor to significant, depending on the shooting conditions
  2. High ISO. This dovetails from the above point; for my purposes and expectations, I am still continually amazed and often pleasantly surprised by the results at ISO400, 800 and yes sometimes even ISO1600 from the FZ35.
  3. Price
  4. Weight
  5. Lens extension. BIG difference.
Sure I would love the high-speed burst modes of the FZ100. I'm not so sure about the articulated screen though; I always thought this was a killer feature, but the added size, weight, complexity, potential durability, and extra hassle just might tip the balance in favor of the FZ35 screen; especially since they upgraded the FZ35 to the latest LCD technology, allowing viewing from almost any angle.

I am sure we will see outstanding photos from the new cams, and I have no desire to shoot them down purely because of the lower IQ (although one can't help but be disappointed, if it matched or exceeded the FZ35, I would have thought long and hard).

I think that like the ZS3, the FZ35 will go down as somewhat of a classic, and for those that grabbed one for three hundred bucks, that really is the bargain of the century.

Greg :-))

Last edited by chillgreg; Aug 15, 2010 at 2:44 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:48 AM   #8

I have to admit the zs3 is a great camera, I recommended to a friend for a xcross country trip on motorcycle. And it did a heck of a job. Even when shooting on a moving motorbike.

I am still considering a good point and shoot, and the zs3 would be one of my top 3 if it was still available new. But at last they are all gone. That is why I am giving the ZR1 a very serious look.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:00 AM   #9

NB The FZ35 is currently available at B&H for $299 with free US shipping!!!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I have to admit the zs3 is a great camera, I recommended to a friend for a xcross country trip on motorcycle. And it did a heck of a job. Even when shooting on a moving motorbike.

I am still considering a good point and shoot, and the zs3 would be one of my top 3 if it was still available new. But at last they are all gone. That is why I am giving the ZR1 a very serious look.
Hey shoturtle!

Just thought I'd let you know I spotted new ZS3's still available and fulfilled by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...1855723&sr=8-1

Cheers
Greg :-))