Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:29 PM   #1

Default Can FZ-35 produce fine and sharp 1080p stills ?

Hi, as the title goes, please tell me about it and post some of your 1920x1080 still pics taken from FZ-35.

this is cause, i normally don't take paper prints but want to put these photos in the monitor/HDTV as wallpaper.

1920x1080 = ~2M pixels, where i think the max capacity of the camera is ~12m pixels. Do you think these will look good on a 24" full HD monitor?

Please post some 1080p stills with no post processing/post processing/taken directly from camera.

(I currently have one old canon A430 camera (4mp), which kinda produces good photos @ 1600x1200, looks sharp even at 100% crop. >example< of a 1024x768 pic.)

Last edited by flyhigh; Aug 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh View Post
Hi, as the title goes, please tell me about it and post some of your 1920x1080 still pics taken from FZ-35.
Posting 1920x1080 photos might not give a true impression
of image quality. The forum software automatically shrinks
the size of large images. I can't remember whether the
size reduction is due to re-scaling, increased JPEG
compression or a combination of the two.

Quote:
1920x1080 = ~2M pixels, where i think the max capacity of the camera is ~12m pixels. Do you think these will look good on a 24" full HD monitor?
I think they will look great on a full HD monitor. The default
size and aspect ratio is 12MP and 4:3. You can scale and crop
from this size to 1920x1080 or you can change the camera
settings to 16:9 1920x1080 2MP.

Quote:
Please post some 1080p stills with no post processing/post processing/taken directly from camera.
If you want to see how a 1920x1080 image from the
FZ35 looks, scale and crop one of the sample images
from the Steve's review. The cropped resolution is
about 9MP regardless of whether you crop it yourself
or let the camera do it for you.

I can send you 1920x1080 images from my DMC-FZ28
if they are of any interest to you. I tried attaching one
to this post, but it was re-scaled to 1024x576 by the
forum software.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:09 AM   #3

Use the 16:9 format and you will get great images that look good and fill the screen of an hidef monitor or TV.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:55 AM   #4

Thanks for all your positive replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
I can send you 1920x1080 images from my DMC-FZ28
if they are of any interest to you. I tried attaching one
to this post, but it was re-scaled to 1024x576 by the
forum software.
Thanks again for your kind offer , if the forum software shrinks the picture, please try to load it in a image hosting site (imageshack is good!) and post the link here?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:20 AM   #5

I think there is a little confusion here; ie if viewing in most photo viewing applications, there is a "fit" or similarly named button that will shrink the photo to fill you screen. If you want to set it as the Windows Wallpaper (Desktop), then it also will scale the photo to fit the screen.

As most LCD screen and monitors use a ratio of either 16:10 or 16:9, then setting the camera to 16:9 will result in the removal of the black bars on the sides of the monitor, or you can crop to this ratio later.

Don't let yourself get too tangled up in the "Full HD" marketing terminology used by the TV manufacturers; any digital camera (including your old Canon) can comfortably exceed event the most expensive TV's native pixel resolution. Any discernible quality difference will be related to the cameras dynamic range, contrast, colour balance etc, not the TV/monitor. Calibrating your TV or monitor's colour and sharpness settings can certainly make a difference too.

Hope that helps a little

Greg :-))

Last edited by chillgreg; Aug 14, 2010 at 4:22 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:33 AM   #6

Quote:
They will look great our your monitor. I have a 28" HannsG monitor. I shot my pictures in a 16:9 format. I take copies of my favorite shots , put them in a separate folder, Windows 7 can then make them your desktop picture. Fills the whole screen and looks sharp and clear. I have mine set to show me a new each day or you set the time to have a "faster slideshow".

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Don't let yourself get too tangled up in the "Full HD" marketing terminology used by the TV manufacturers; any digital camera (including your old Canon) can comfortably exceed event the most expensive TV's native pixel resolution. Any discernible quality difference will be related to the cameras dynamic range, contrast, colour balance etc, not the TV/monitor. Calibrating your TV or monitor's colour and sharpness settings can certainly make a difference too.
Sure the cams have more pixels than TV/monitor, but what i am worried about is basically the blurry/grainy/noisy pixels that appear @ 100% crop. Just checking, if I crop down the full pixel 16:9s to 1920:1080 pixels, or just take 1920:1080 shots directly - will these blurry pixels appear..

If i take 1600x1200 shots from my canon, it produces very acceptable IQ. But at full res its a bit noisy. I had the chance to see some fotos taken from a nikon P80 that my friend has ..... but those did not impress me much. He is no pro photographer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
They will look great our your monitor. I have a 28" HannsG monitor. I shot my pictures in a 16:9 format. I take copies of my favorite shots , put them in a separate folder, Windows 7 can then make them your desktop picture. Fills the whole screen and looks sharp and clear. I have mine set to show me a new each day or you set the time to have a "faster slideshow".
Thanks, that makes things pretty clear with a 28" monitor . I like managing fotos the same way, change the wallpaper every half or an hour or just slide show with Webshots.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:45 PM   #8

Panasonic FZ28. Camera set for 16:9 2MP. The WB is a bit warm because it was taken at sunset. Straight from camera without any modifications.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1857374/size/0

Scaled and cropped from higher resolution image.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1857825/size/0

Another one of Blackrock Castle at sunset. This one scaled and cropped from higher res.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1857831/size/0

Looks like re-scaling with Gimp does a much better job
than taking the shot at 1920x1080.

Last edited by corkpix; Aug 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Add image.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
Panasonic FZ28. Camera set for 16:9 2MP. The WB is a bit warm because it was taken at sunset. Straight from camera without any modifications.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1857374/size/0

Scaled and cropped from higher resolution image.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1857825/size/0

Another one of Blackrock Castle at sunset. This one scaled and cropped from higher res.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1857831/size/0

Looks like re-scaling with Gimp does a much better job
than taking the shot at 1920x1080.
Thanks very much for all your efforts. That's very helpful and clears up everything. Just one question, have you used any other types of PP like sharpening etc on rescaled/cropped photos ?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks very much for all your efforts. That's very helpful and clears up everything. Just one question, have you used any other types of PP like sharpening etc on rescaled/cropped photos ?
These pictures have only been scaled from the FZ28
default image size of 3648x2736 (10MP) down to
1920x1440 and then cropped to 1920x1080. I
resisted the urge to do any other post processing.
I think the castle photo could do with some WB
adjustment, but that would have defeated the
purpose of posting it.

Here is another one taken in much brighter conditions.
This is unprocessed apart from re-scaling. The distance
from the church to the camera is 195ft or just under 60M.
http://pix.ie/corkpix/1862400/size/0

Last edited by corkpix; Aug 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM.