Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Starry Night shots

Because of the 'Swift Tuttle' comet passing us, the sky looked beautiful last night, but it was very cloudy, which blocked the view a very lot, and I wasn't on a nice spot in which I could create a horizon with stars above it, so I made just a few facing up with the camera.

I don't know if they're any good, but it's very hard to make a great shot of the stars in my opinion. What do you think of them?

I resized the photos some, as a crop of a sky doesn't look right to me , except the last shot. Don't know what it is, but could that be the comet?

I didn't zoom in on the 1st, quite some on the 2nd, a little less on the 3rd, and the 4th is max zoom for as far as I can recall . I used shuttertime of 30 to 60 seconds I believe, and a tripod of course. (It was like 2 AM when I took them, lol)

Last edited by Honnes; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:07 PM   #2

That is a very good job, Honnes-

Your number #2 photo shows well the "star showers" that have been in the sky for the last few nights. I cannot identify your last photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:40 PM   #3

Thank you for your compliments Sarah, I really had no idea how to do it right I have to say, so I have been trying out for like an hour, but it paid off it seems .

The last one, I think I got a shot of that as well taken with less zoom. It looked like it was 1/4 the size of the moon, or maybe a little smaller, but it was popping out completely from all the other stars. I'll post it soon, as I got a birthday party this evening.
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:47 PM   #4

It wasn't the comet. We are passing thru the comet's debris field. It was here in 1992. It'll be close again in 2126.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:10 AM   #5

Any setting above 5 seconds creates a 'streak' - all stars turn into a small line - and it gets magnified as you increase time or the zoom. The only way to avoid this is to have a motorised tripod, which turns the camera at a speed that matches the earth's rotation, thus always pointing the stars and keeping them as dots all the time. Comets generally appear as a fuzzy blob. Some comets have faint tails that are almost invisible to the naked eye even through a good telescope. Longer exposures are needed to catch the tail - longer the exposure, brighter the tail appears.

See my thread posted in Nov 2007: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...et-holmes.html

Last edited by Raghu; Aug 14, 2010 at 6:15 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Any setting above 5 seconds creates a 'streak' - all stars turn into a small line - and it gets magnified as you increase time or the zoom...l
Just a small clarification. The time-to-streak is directly related to magnification. At wide angles (i.e. 20mm), 30 seconds is fine. The rule-of-thumb equation bandied about is 600 / (Focal Length) = Maximum Exposure Time (in seconds)

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote