Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:42 PM   #1

Default Displaying your pictures

I got an HDMI cable from Monoprice the other day and boy what a difference in displaying my pictures! I have a Panasonic hi def plasma and they look great displaying it from the camera. Panasonic Viera link works great. Pictures fill the whole screen in the proper 16:9 format.

My question - is there another way to display the pictures in the same "hi def" format? I've tried the card reader straight from the camera but it doesn't display in the "hi def" format - it looks more like "standard digital" - a bit grainy and usually not in the right proportions.

Tried using TVersity and it looks the same also (ethernet through DirecTV stb HR21) - not in what I'd call hi def or 1080 I or P.

Any suggestions on another way of viewing?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:32 AM   #2

Do you have an Xbox 360 or PS3?
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:39 AM   #3

I use a Panasonic HDMI cable directly from the camera (FZ38) to my Samsung HD TV.
Like Clint mentioned, it really makes a big difference.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:59 AM   #4

No - but I thought about a blue ray dvd player - I know PS3 plays 1080p dvd's, does xbox play them also?

You'd think the built in card reader would play them back at "hi def" but it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
Do you have an Xbox 360 or PS3?

Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:19 AM   #5

Xbox 360 (I have one) outputs to the screen at 1080P. It can do this from any source:
eg Camera plugged in directly via USB cable; SD Card via a reader; CD or DVD, and finally (and I think the best feature), using a built-in software interface called Windows Media Centre, it links live via Ethernet or Wireless to your PC. Once that connection is established, you can stream photos, movies, Hi-Def digital TV shows (if you PC has a USB TV tuner) and of course your entire music collection. All of this can be controlled via the standard wireless Xbox 360 games controller, or even better via the optional Xbox 360 remote control (about 20 bucks)

Greg

Edit: None of this requires a hard drive, as all the content is streamed. Therefore even the old model (still on sale) of the "Xbox 360 Arcade" is a fully functional Media Centre. Here is an example from Amazon, for $189 new (not refurbished)
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Arcad...1957839&sr=1-5

Last edited by chillgreg; Aug 16, 2010 at 7:26 AM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:58 PM   #6

Clint

Ive been watching pictures on my Panasonic plasma for 6 months , it really makes a difference , Ive stated that here on forum few times , glad to have more happy users The most usual way is to connect it with HDMI cable which you did - second way is to put you SD card to SD card reader on the left side of the TV - as I understood youve tried that and you dont like results.I must say I find image quality as good as when displaying it through HDMI cable.Dont know where are you making a mistake , maybe its due to some of your Tvs preferences ...

Third way , as you also realised , is to watch pictures through some media player.First option - some media players have card reader but most of them dont have it.That would be pretty easy way to watch you photos , put SD card from fZ38 to your media player (bluray player , dvd player , some video players with hard disks) and play photos.Downside - browsing through photos is quite slow. Ive had video player with memory card slot - boy , that was slow.

Second option - connect your media player via network to your media storage such as laptop or computer.I am doing that also - but again , browsing through photos is sloooow...I have this beauty - its firstly bluray player ofcourse , but it streams video , photos and music wirelessly from any device supporting wifi(dlna) protocol - every computer , laptop and some of mobile phones.

As Ive tested all that , Id say , if you are lucky and can persuade you panasonic TV to work correctly via VIERA link (which I cant , couse with my TVs remote I cant cycle through media on my Panasonic fz38 when connected via HDMI , which you said you can) , thats the best way. I didnt uderstan you however , can you do that or not. I connect Tv and fz38 via cable , set it to play as slideshow and sit on my couch
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:26 PM   #7

You must have magic in the message - I went back to check the settings with the SD card in and it worked great - filled the whole screen just like plugging it into the camera. I have no idea why it works now. Probably last I time I tried it I must have had a setting wrong. I have the Panasonic TH58PZ800U and Viera works fine with the FZ35 and the Panasonic remote. Did you enable the Viera setting in the FZ8?

Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:17 AM   #8

hehe...
Look , I fixed your problem over-line .

Yes , I enabled VIERA link both on TV and fz38.Dont know whats wrong , sure , I dont have original Panasonic HDMi I cable but gold-plated ebay copy , but other than that , I really dont see why.

As for putting SD card in card reader..
Yesterday for a test Ive tried putting SD card in my Pany TV - everything worked ok , you can select music to be playing in background , but I realised that in video setup , "eco" mode was ON . Since it was night , it darkened photo DRAMATICLY . I thought , maybe this was your case too.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:04 AM   #9

I have several settings - Standard-Photo-Vivid-Custom-Game - mainly they are "slider bars" for picture , brightness, etc. Yes - changing those makes a difference. I got my HDMI cable from Monoprice (very inexpensive) and it works fine. I'm not sure what the Viera software talks to - the TV to change pictures or the camera to change pictures.