Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Default GPS on TZ10/ ZS7

today i shot some pictures walking around my town, turning camera on and off, and some times liwing it on for 5/10 minutes

back home, download fiscture and i found out GPS data are all pointing at my house...

the camera didn't ever uddate the GPS position...
GPS settings is = ON

can i do something for make the camera update more often when is ON
any way to force GPS update?
al404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by al404 View Post
today i shot some pictures walking around my town, turning camera on and off, and some times liwing it on for 5/10 minutes

back home, download fiscture and i found out GPS data are all pointing at my house...

the camera didn't ever uddate the GPS position...
GPS settings is = ON

can i do something for make the camera update more often when is ON
any way to force GPS update?
Turn on your camera and go to menu, look to the left of the menu screen, go down the left menu to the suitcase then go right the GPS on/off...insure GPS is on...if it is already on (which you said it was) then in the same menu it will say Info...slect Info...it will ask if you want to update then push menu button and you will see it update after a few minutes, it will also show a number on the right hand side indicating how many satellites it is using for the update...
The camera must have a very clear view of the sky just like the GPS in your car so it will not work indoors or under heavy foilage as the GPS Antenna on these is not the most powerful obviously....

Read your Manual also...I am still having to revert to mine even though I am well versed with the ZS7...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:03 PM   #3

My ZS7 surprisingly locks onto 5 sats inside the house away from windows just like my Navigon GPS. I was very surprised.
Bob
Dopplerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:52 AM   #4

Yes, at times they can even when in the holster or pouch, but not always depends on where you live, sky conditions, and available satellites....

But to insure you get your photo geotagged properly follow the directions above...and some people live in two story houses...the only GPS's I have that will lock through two stories are the Zumo 550 & 660...the 1690 can't or the 265T...and my ZS7 can't either...

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 17, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:36 PM   #5

Page 85 of the user manual says that positioning is done every 5 minutes when the camera is on. That's the problem: the camera does not update continuously like a hand-held GPS, Garmin etrex, for example. So, if you are mobile, it is unlikely that a picture will be recorded at a current GPS location. Bummer. The only way to ensure that the picture-taking location will be recorded correctly is to stop, go to the Travel Menu/Info/Update.

Too bad, because, I'd rather record a track log with a separate hand-held GPS and sync with the camera time using "GPS Stamper" or another such program.
jandbrare is offline   Reply With Quote