Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Default ZS6 vs. ZS7

A bit of history first...back in June I bought the ZS6 from Costco when they had the $50 off discount (plus, since I was in Hawaii at the time, I paid half State tax than I would in CA). Then the ZS7 price on Amazon went down and again there was a $50 coupon code available (posted here by someone) so I bought the ZS7 for $240, $15 less than the ZS6 cost me. Since I already have plenty of memory cards and a nice Sony camera case, yesterday I decided to return the ZS6 and keep the ZS7 instead. Well, maybe I shouldn't have done that and these are the reasons:

1. I don't need GPS
2. Even with GPS turned OFF, the ZS7 uses way more battery than the ZS6 (at least 30% more)
3. The AVCHD mode is nice and saves memory space but it is not nearly as easy to see the movies as most devices won't recognize the format. So, I'll use regular HD or even VGA
4. The ZS6 offers iE in movie mode while the ZS7 does not
5. On the ZS6 you can change the Color Effect (B&W, Sepia,...) in movie mode. The ZS7 only records movies in color.

Also, someone posted that the ZS6 body is plastic while the ZS7 is metal. Well, they did not look, feel or sounded (I tapped on both cameras) any different between models. So, as far as I can tell, the ZS6 body is made with the same material as the ZS7.

For those of you trying to decide between the ZS6 and ZS7, make sure you really want the features available on the ZS7 otherwise, the ZS6 may be a better alternative. I'd swap them back if I could.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Aug 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2

Sorry about that Tullio...I love my ZS7's both of them...I really can't complain...as far as batteries they recharge SUPER fast...I keep an extra charged all the time and I also have a DC Charger in my truck for all my cameras so I can charge when headed down the ole highway....the DC Chargers are CHEAP! and they also have the AC plug if required...

I find 30% hard to beleive...you must have gotten a bad battery? or you should have took the one out of the ZS6 and stuck in the ZS7 prior to sending the ZS6 back....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:25 PM   #3

No, the battery is the new one that came with the ZS7 (I made sure I returned the ZS6 with all its accessories). Now, it is possible that the battery that came with the ZS7 is defective. I will order a spare one and see how it performs. If it lasts longer, then I'll see what I can do about the bad batt.

I think in the end, the ZS7 will do the job. I just should have read the ZS7 manual before hand. I'd have noticed the differences and most likely the ZS7 would have gone back to Amazon. Oh well...living and learning (always the hard way).

Tullio
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Here's another significant difference between the two models:

- 40 Mb of internal memory on the ZS6 vs. less than 15 Mb on the ZS7.

Tullio
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:50 AM   #5

Default Attn: Tullio - Advice needed

For a new buyer which one is better deal DMC-ZS7 or DMC-ZS6 considering below points:
- Price ZS6 for $249 (Costco) vs ZS7 for $279 (Amazon)
- ZS6 comes with leather case + 2GB SD card
- GPS and AVCHD are not deciding factors for me
- 40MB internal memory looks more appealing than 15MB for sure
- Movie button missing is bit of concern, is there anything else major missing? how about performance, all remains same?
- ZS6 is very low-profile model hardly many reviews or comparison with competitors seems Panasonic showcases ZS7 more.
- I am planning to own this for atleast 4-5 years, does more advance ZS7 has longer life in terms of technology superiority?

Tullio, since you have first-hand experience of both models, my question basically is directed to you but any other answers will also be welcome.
Piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:39 AM   #6

As I mentioned, I regret keeping the ZS7 over the ZS6. In my case, I did not need the case (it is nice but I have a Sony case which works much better) nor the 2 Gb card (not big enough for a 12 MP camera - besides, I already have two-8 Gb + 1x16 Gb cards anyway) that came with the ZS6 but overall, the ZS6 is a better deal, I think. In terms of reviews, just read the ZS7 ones. The two models are identical (except for the differences I pointed out, which do not affect IQ in any way). If you were talking ZS5 Vs. ZS7, it would be a total different story.

Tullio
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
For a new buyer which one is better deal DMC-ZS7 or DMC-ZS6 considering below points:
- Price ZS6 for $249 (Costco) vs ZS7 for $279 (Amazon)
- ZS6 comes with leather case + 2GB SD card
- GPS and AVCHD are not deciding factors for me
- 40MB internal memory looks more appealing than 15MB for sure
- Movie button missing is bit of concern, is there anything else major missing? how about performance, all remains same?
- ZS6 is very low-profile model hardly many reviews or comparison with competitors seems Panasonic showcases ZS7 more.
- I am planning to own this for atleast 4-5 years, does more advance ZS7 has longer life in terms of technology superiority?

Tullio, since you have first-hand experience of both models, my question basically is directed to you but any other answers will also be welcome.
Thanks for the info - I ordered my ZS6 from Costco today for $249.99! Was torn between the ZS5 &7, when I saw the 6 was cheaper than the 7 I decided to go for it - I wanted to fancier screen but didn't need the GPS!!
I have a FZ35 that I loove - but wanted a smaller companion with manual controls to replace my TZ5...hopefully it'll do better than the TZ5 if overall picture quality and performance!
MDJoviFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:24 PM   #8

Default advice needed Tullio

I have decided to purchase either the ZS6 or the ZS7. I originally decided on the ZS6 since I didn't think I needed the GPS or AVCHD mode, but now they are the same price... the ZS6 is $250 from Costco and the ZS7 is currently $250 from Amazon. It seems to make the most sense to go with the more advanced model since they're the same price, but I don't understand when you mentioned that "the ZS6 offers iE in movie mode while the ZS7 does not." What is iE in movie mode? Thanks for your help.
clemson2musc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson2musc View Post
I have decided to purchase either the ZS6 or the ZS7. I originally decided on the ZS6 since I didn't think I needed the GPS or AVCHD mode, but now they are the same price... the ZS6 is $250 from Costco and the ZS7 is currently $250 from Amazon. It seems to make the most sense to go with the more advanced model since they're the same price, but I don't understand when you mentioned that "the ZS6 offers iE in movie mode while the ZS7 does not." What is iE in movie mode? Thanks for your help.
like I said in the other thread - too bad the price for the 2 is the same - I ordered the 6 ~2 days ago..... I wouldn't use the gps anyway nor the Avchd mode - have that on my FZ35 and don't use it...other than that it's pretty much the same camera...

Last edited by MDJoviFan; Sep 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
MDJoviFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson2musc View Post
... the ZS6 is $250 from Costco and the ZS7 is currently $250 from Amazon. It seems to make the most sense to go with the more advanced model since they're the same price, ...
This is exactly what I thought, so I went ahead returned the ZS6, bought the ZS7 and regretted. Don't make the same mistake unless you really want GPS. The ZS7 is not more advanced. It has a couple of extra features, that's all. In terms of build, functionality, IQ, they are both the same. But, the ZS6 uses less batteries, has a larger BI memory and you can shoot video in B&W/sepia as well as colors amongst other pluses.

Tullio