Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:43 AM   #21

I can't express myself in technical photography terms but what I notice in some of the pictures you guys have posted is a slight fuzziness, sometimes right in the center of the picture,....which makes me think either the FZ100 is not the camera I thought it would be,....or the autofocus just isn't doing the job. I realize it could be these old eyes or maybe even my screen. I hope so.

I hope the designation of FZ doesn't mean fuzzy! I really want this camera to work for you guys that own it and for me too.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:48 AM   #22

Just finished these - P mode - out side - Film mode Nature - NR+2 (the rest at 0)

The Nature mode is supposed to bring out the colors but it looks a drab colorwise.

ISO 100

ISO 200

ISO 400

ISO 800

ISO 1600

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:57 PM   #23

Hi Clint-

The problems with the FZ-100 are disappointing to hear. But also just a year ago, we were having problems with the then just launched FZ-35 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:11 PM   #24

Here's my thoughts, which seem to be changing by the hour.
I'm replacing a FZ20 (12 zoom, 2.1 megapixel, highest ISO 400)
Now if I had the FZ35 it looks like the only thing I would be gaining would be a little more zoom. Why bother??
As far as 800 and above ISO.. I went back to DB, where they show the sample screens and you can compare 4 different cameras at different ISO speeds. To my eyes and in my opinion (and please don't anyone bash me for this, just my opinion) the cameras I looked at, fz100, fz35, hs10, and a canon SX10, depending on where you were zoomed in at, each camera looked worse or better in certain spots.. I would move the small zoom in square to one spot, look and say, well here the FZ35 is the best, HS10 is the worst. Another spot I may think the FZ100 is best, FZ35 the worst. etc, etc. The only clear winner was when I switched out the Canon for just about any of the prosumer and above cameras and they just blew everything else away.

At this moment (subject to change) I'm going to keep the FZ100.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:18 PM   #25

About NR settings
For the moment it looks like ISO 200 and below, going to the minus side will give you a sharper picture and you don't have to worry about graininess. Nice clear, sharp picture.
400ISO at 0 or +1, 800ISO +2. Anything higher you have to really be desperate. (but then again do any comparable models look good at 1600 and above?)
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:37 PM   #26

The more I read, the less I seem to know. I waded through all the pixel peeping and bashing on DP review and was frankly not swayed much by it. I've seen it before with every new camera that comes out.

When a practical, and accomplished, photographer like Clint is not very enthusiastic, it influences me. I know something about photography but have zero interest in tweaking the various settings before I take a picture. My FZ35 will operate on autopilot in P, A, S and iA, producing excellent pictures in most ISO and mp settings.

I'll wait awhile and look at other models as I continue to follow user reports on the FZ100. I really value good burst functions and long zoom. I manage okay with EZ zoom on the FZ35 and find the 5 or 10fps high speed burst functions workable. The FZ100 is a perfect fit for my uses,....on paper.

Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:55 PM   #27

Thanks, Clint, for all these infos and sample pics. Your experience with the FZ100 matches the reports I read in german photography forums from experienced photographers who compared the FZ38 and the FZ100. They agreed that the FZ38 gives better IQ.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:04 PM   #28

All I can see is you guys doing a LOT of hard work trying to get the FZ100 to even equal the 35, let alone surpass. For nearly twice the price. Even the ISO100 shots look nasty compared to the crisp detailed shots I'm used to seeing from Clint et al. And as Clint points out, what's the use of having the thing if in anything other than very good light it's less effective than a hundred dollar p&s??

Big heavy camera, Pinocchio lens, lower IQ, loss of joystick and some quick menu functionality, 1080i is no better than 720P and more hassle to handle on pc,

I await LT's comparison shots FZ100 24x vs FZ35 + Nikon TC, but I'd bet the 35 will clobber the 100 for detail...

I think for extremely limited circumstances, for those that need an articulated screen or the burst rates, it might be worth it if you've got the $ to splash...but frO any logical standpoint the fz35 FOR $299 (and stilll nearly twice the price in UK, Aus and NZ!) is a ridiculous steal.

For the same $ you can have a fully kitted FZ35, bag, SD card, Olympus TC170 and Raynox macro lens.

I mean seriously??

Greg :-))

Edit: If you have any further doubts, take a look at the comparator RAW shots at DPR. Even at base ISO the noise coming off the new sensor is just ridiculous, and a step backwards...call me a cynic if you like, but Panasonic has rushed out the FZ100 to combat the HS-10 and soon to be released Canon SX2...just a marketing exercise to keep market share...if you really want the longer zoom then perhaps the CCD sensor FZ40 will be a better bet, once samples and reviews become available.

Last edited by chillgreg; Aug 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi Clint-

The problems with the FZ-100 are disappointing to hear. But also just a year ago, we were having problems with the then just launched FZ-35 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Until my trusty FZ18 died and I was forced to make a decision, i monitored closely the release of both the FZ28 and 35, and I don't recall problems anything near the magnitude or severity of the FZ100. There were the usual sceptical "too many megapixels" comments, but the actual photos were in most cases superior to the 28 and 18 straight out of the box, with little or no heavy duty work to achieve this.

Did you have some examples I may have missed? Just interested.

Regards
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:26 PM   #30

I've taken a few more shots and they again turn out less than impressive - like Chillgreg says it's OK in good light and has a great 24x zoom but I want more from a $500 camera. The video and burst shots from the FZ35 more than meet my needs. I want an articulating LCD but I can live without it. I certainly hope the FZ40 turns out OK but for now I am tired of trying to MAKE the FZ100 work for me.

Tomorrow I'll request an RMA and send it back. Disappointed but still have a good working FZ35!!

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote