Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
ddandb & VncrvIslandGirl

Could you measure the "inner" width of the FZ100 barrel (in mm)?
Not the width of the lens but the outer barrel. It has threads on it for a DMW-LA5 adapter.
disclaimer: I haven't actually seen one.

eBay sellers are selling 52mm filters for the FZ1000 and the FZ45.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/52mm-UV-Filter-Bl...nsesFilters_JN
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:23 AM   #12

It would appear to me to be 52mm.
VncvrIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VncvrIslandGirl View Post
It would appear to me to be 52mm.

It would be bigger than that. That is the filter size. I'm looking for the "barrel" size. The lens moves in and out of the barrel. If you want to use a teleconverter you need a DWM-LA3 to screw onto the barrel. I wanted to get that size. So it would be like the diagram - where the barrel threads are.
Attached Images

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Aug 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VncvrIslandGirl View Post
Yes Jack, I had thought the basics of the FZ100 would be very similar to the FZ35 too so I had figured I would get a good answer here.

OK, so what I'm reading then, is that the pre-set modes with individual icons on the dial as well as the ones in the "Scene" mode (panorama assist, baby, etc) are exactly that, all pre-set and automated for iso, aperture, NR, etc. Well, that's good to know! So if I want to take something at night and want to ensure that the iso stays below a certain amount (as I understand the camera isn't all that great at higher iso's), I will need to use P,A,S or M for that. Have I got that right?

I think at this point, I won't worry too much about various settings and I'll just get used to making sure I'm using the correct pre-set modes. That certainly simplifies my learning curve for just now!

Thanks for the help! I'll see if I can manage to post some of my first photos here in another thread.
With my FZ35, I usually shoot in A or P modes, simply because I have saturation set to +1. Having said that, sometimes I will shoot a picture or two in iA can't tell much difference.

I shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio so as to match up to the video format when I view the pictures as a slide show. In my SCN mode for high speed burst, I use 4:3 for the slightly higher resolution. I also keep C3 set at 4:3 and use it for the occasional panorama shot since it makes a little fatter and more pleasing panorama to me. In my C1 mode, I use spot focus. I've found a few times in Yellowstone that I'm shooting through heavy foliage and this enables me to get the right focus on the animal.

I'm curious to hear about the video on the FZ100. During Little League season, I often take movies just so I can grab action stills from them. They are surprisingly good and should be even better with the FZ100's full HD.

Please keep letting us know how you are enjoying your FZ100!

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
It would be bigger than that. That is the filter size. I'm looking for the "barrel" size. The lens moves in and out of the barrel. If you want to use a teleconverter you need a DWM-LA3 to screw onto the barrel. I wanted to get that size. So it would be like the diagram - where the barrel threads are.
Now I see what you are looking for. When I get home tonight I'll measure it if no one come up with it before then.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandb View Post
Now I see what you are looking for. When I get home tonight I'll measure it if no one come up with it before then.
Thanks

Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:13 PM   #17

Quote:
OK, it looks to be 58mm but it's hard to measure exactly. The lens protrudes past the barrel so I can't put my ruler right up against the barrel. Hope that helps even a little bit though.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:17 PM   #18

Thanks so much. I think it will help.

Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
With my FZ35, I usually shoot in A or P modes, simply because I have saturation set to +1. Having said that, sometimes I will shoot a picture or two in iA can't tell much difference.

I shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio so as to match up to the video format when I view the pictures as a slide show. In my SCN mode for high speed burst, I use 4:3 for the slightly higher resolution. I also keep C3 set at 4:3 and use it for the occasional panorama shot since it makes a little fatter and more pleasing panorama to me. In my C1 mode, I use spot focus. I've found a few times in Yellowstone that I'm shooting through heavy foliage and this enables me to get the right focus on the animal.

I'm curious to hear about the video on the FZ100. During Little League season, I often take movies just so I can grab action stills from them. They are surprisingly good and should be even better with the FZ100's full HD.

Please keep letting us know how you are enjoying your FZ100!

Jack
Guess I will have to play with the modes a little bit to get faster/more comfortable changing things. I did a panorama on the weekend and is that feature ever slick! I know I will definitely use that but I did find the outline on the lcd that I had to match to was a bit faint, do you know if there is a way to darker that? I have found the focus to be tricky too with multiple focus points. I would prefer to have a single point I guess because that's what I'm used to so gotta work on that next.

I'm not into doing videos yet. I know weird getting a camera with that as a prime feature, right? But I thought that if I did have it, I would learn to use it.

I tried to upload some photos last night but it wouldn't work, maybe the files are too big...?

I am totally loving having the camera. I think it really helps that I'm not having conniptions over how it compares to something else.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:23 PM   #20

Yes Clint that will help it's either 58mm or 60mm for sure...

Island girl is there fine threads inside that outer barrel?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote