Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:55 PM   #1

Default FZ100 thoughts and ?'s from newbie

I have just recently found this forum and I have to say I really like the tone and comraderie shown here by the members and their respect for differences of opinion. This is very refreshing indeed!

I bought an FZ100 last week and am slowly learning to use it. This camera is a big upgrade for me so I'm not wringing my hands and straining my eyes comparing it to a much-loved FZ35 or a _______ (fill in the blank with your camera of choice!) like many other people seem to be doing. I'm also not especially interested in "pixel peeping" other than as a means to truly learn something. At the same time of course, I do want to learn to get the most out of the camera to my abilities at this time.

That said, I do have a question about settings on the camera. In my various readings, it seems that changing the NR and the sharpness settings has received approval and supposed improve image quality. I have managed to figure out how to do that while in "P" mode. Question is: will the change to NR and sharpness "hold" for other settings? It doesn't appear possible to change those settings while in any of the pre-set modes.

At this point, I would like to get more comfortable using the various pre-set modes and the many available in the "custom" mode. The catalyst for this purchase is an upcoming holiday to China and it will just be a bit much to be changing and tweaking before each photo while I'm part of a group tour. I don't want to lose my tour experience and being "in the moment" to thinking too much about how to "capture the moment".

If anyone has advice about those settings and how they work, also about on-line tutorials or something else they think will be helpful, I would be most appreciative!
VncvrIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:20 PM   #2

Greetings and welcome to the forum - I'm only a "3 day expert" on the FZ100 because I sent it back today. If you look in the "Film Mode" the settings are changed there as you discovered. If you change to another mode like iA or Aperture, etc and go back to P mode your NR - Sharpness - Saturation -etc will be where you left them. You can save a setting in the Custom settings for 3 types - ie - change the NR to -2 in P mode then save it to the Cust 1 -2 or 3. Then change the NR to +2 and save it to a different Custom mode such as Cust 2.

As best as I remember your NR, Sharpness, etc settings will remain the same unless you change the "Film Mode" ( I think there were about 6 or 7)

Then flip the dial to Custom and choose whichever one you want. I just wish there was a quick way to "print" out the settings without having to scroll through the menus or write it down by hand.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:33 PM   #3

No, the persets are just that, presets, and it doesn't look like you get many choices there.
NR setting does hold though for P,A,S, and M.
NR going toward the minus sharpens things up some and is good for outside.
NR going toward the plus eliminates some noise at the loss of some sharpness.
Higher ISO setting (800 on up) are also helped by higher NR settings.

But if you aren't pixel-pickin' leaving it right where it is in the middle is fine.

Lets see, what else?..
Tour group and I didn't want to bother changing settings I would just leave it in IA with the default settings most of the time and be ready for P mode in case IA seems to giving you wrong scene information.

AND....... Post some Pictures.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:39 PM   #4

ddandb - don't forget to post more of your pictures, I'm still interested in how the FZ100 handles. Keep learning!

Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
ddandb - don't forget to post more of your pictures, I'm still interested in how the FZ100 handles. Keep learning!
Will do. Problem is I just had a terrible thing happen to me.... my weekend ended.

I am also reading the HDR forum and trying to figure that out. Interesting concept.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:26 PM   #6

Hmm...had a chance to play around with the settings a bit. If I use the "P" mode and change the setting for amount of pixels used, that new pixel setting shows on the LCD when I am in any of the preset modes (portrait, etc) and also in the modes that come up when I got to "SCN". It would seem reasonable to me to believe then that any other settings I've changed in "P" mode will also transfer to the preset modes. Am I on the right track here or not?

Another question: What are the advantages (other than extended zoom) to lowering the amount of pixels used?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VncvrIslandGirl View Post
Hmm...had a chance to play around with the settings a bit. If I use the "P" mode and change the setting for amount of pixels used, that new pixel setting shows on the LCD when I am in any of the preset modes (portrait, etc) and also in the modes that come up when I got to "SCN". It would seem reasonable to me to believe then that any other settings I've changed in "P" mode will also transfer to the preset modes. Am I on the right track here or not?

Another question: What are the advantages (other than extended zoom) to lowering the amount of pixels used?
The first part may have just been assumption on my part. I'll have to look at this more. I was figuring since you can't select NR on preset modes that it didn't carry through.

By lowering the amount of pixels do you mean the ISO setting? 100, 400, 800, etc?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:03 AM   #8

I don't have the FZ100 yet but I'm betting it's like the FZ35. If you change a setting in P mode, such as saturation, that setting will carry through to A, S, and movie, if your mode dial is in P A or S. In automatic or the SCN modes, the settings are default. You can, of course, copy your adjusted setting to a C mode.

As far as I know, there is no advantage to reducing the mp except for EZ zoom. On my FZ35, I keep one of the C settings on 3mp for maximum zoom.

A lot of us on this forum are very interested in the FZ100. If you get a chance, let us know some of your impressions. I'm especially interested in the burst modes.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:22 AM   #9

Yes Jack, I had thought the basics of the FZ100 would be very similar to the FZ35 too so I had figured I would get a good answer here.

OK, so what I'm reading then, is that the pre-set modes with individual icons on the dial as well as the ones in the "Scene" mode (panorama assist, baby, etc) are exactly that, all pre-set and automated for iso, aperture, NR, etc. Well, that's good to know! So if I want to take something at night and want to ensure that the iso stays below a certain amount (as I understand the camera isn't all that great at higher iso's), I will need to use P,A,S or M for that. Have I got that right?

I think at this point, I won't worry too much about various settings and I'll just get used to making sure I'm using the correct pre-set modes. That certainly simplifies my learning curve for just now!

Thanks for the help! I'll see if I can manage to post some of my first photos here in another thread.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:54 AM   #10

ddandb & VncrvIslandGirl

Could you measure the "inner" width of the FZ100 barrel (in mm)?
Not the width of the lens but the outer barrel. It has threads on it for a DMW-LA5 adapter.
Attached Images