Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Some questions about a macro lens for Lumix FZ-38 !

Hello
My camera is Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-38, and I do not have any lens, adapter, converter or filter,...
I'm really interested in macro photographing, I have checked some macro lens on the Internet, I found "Raynox DCR-250" as a good macro lens for my camera,
Is that a good lens for taking good macro pictures without noises? If it's not good, could you please suggest me a good macro lens around 100$!
If I buy for example "Raynox DCR-250" or a lens similar to this, Do I need converter or something to attach the lens ??!

Waiting for your kind answers...

Last edited by MTajvidi; Aug 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM.
MTajvidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:10 PM   #2

Try this

http://www.bugmacros.com/techniques/macro_tech.pdf

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTajvidi View Post
Hello
My camera is Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-38, and I do not have any lens, adapter, converter or filter,...
I'm really interested in macro photographing, I have checked some macro lens check on the Internet, I found "Raynox DCR-250" as a good macro lens for my camera,
Is that a good lens for taking good macro pictures without noises? If it's not good, could you please suggest me a good macro lens around 100$!
If I buy for example "Raynox DCR-250" or a lens similar to this, Do I need converter or something to attach the lens ??!

Waiting for your kind answers...
I haven't tried the Raynox - but I like the Panasonic LC55 a lot, which you can use with the FZ38 together with an adapter ring. Here is one sample picture and you can find a link to a video which was shot with the LC55 in my signature.
Attached Images

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

Thank you my friends.

Dear Jogo, I really like your shot with LC55,
I'm gonna buy LC55 or maybe Raynox DCR-250.
I found these amazing pictures which was taken by Raynox DCR-250 :
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2517503_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7781874_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7962362_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1070754_n.jpg
MTajvidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:09 PM   #5

In one of my posts which is about macro lenses (LC-55 or Raynox DCR-250), I have posted that I have ordered both, because I can't choose.

I have contacted the company yesterday, and they told me they are still waiting for the LC-55 to arrive. They are rather hard to get, because the DCR-250 is more popular it seems.

Anyway, when I have both, which is, according to them, in like 2-3 weeks, I will try them both out on the same settings, and post a sort of review here. (I'm a beginner, a total starter as well, so don't expect anything too professional lol, but the shots will clarify something I hope).
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:15 PM   #6

Apologies for jumping into your thread, but would someone be able to explain to me what a macro lens does? I'm a total beginner (about to buy the FZ38), and had thought a macro mode on the camera was all you need. Looking at the pictures here, seems there is a lot more to macro photography than I thought...

My mother has also just gone out and bought the FZ100 - I feel joint attendance of a camera course coming on.
AshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:12 PM   #7

I'm a total beginner as well I have to say, but summarized, a macro lens is a (add-on) lens which is specifically designed for close up focusing.

The FZ35 / FZ38 is already very good at taking macro-shots, but with a macro-lens, you'll get even more detail as you get closer.

When you get close to your subject, focusing might sometimes cause some trouble, and this is where the macro-lens does it's work.

If anyone got some information to add, or to correct me, please do so.

Below is a shot which I took with my FZ38, without any lens or filter attached, and I would also start without any add-on lenses, and get familiar with the camera first .

Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:31 PM   #8

Very nice shot Honnes.
What settings did you have for this?
Looks clean and sharp.
Does it look same in 100% size?
Keep it up.
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:45 AM   #9

Thank you Mystery It's not a resized image, just a crop without any modifications, and the EXIF info is still in it as well.

F-stop 5.6, Shutterspeed 1/320, ISO 80, 86mm

I'm curious how it will go when I received the macro lenses. (And keep the one I prefer and send the other back hehe)
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:41 PM   #10

Can we say that Raynox DCR-250 or Panasonic LC55 is better than the other? And for what reason? What are the pros and cons for each? Price of each?
And what is the advantage of using one of them, against the simple macro modes that the camera has?
Thanks in advance for any answer!
alexander

Last edited by kibaris; Aug 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote