Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:21 AM   #21

A fair comparison, would be have all 3 camera set to the max zoom of the fz35 in 35eq. And set the aperture to the 35mm eq. Then compare the photos.

This is not to take anything away for the FZ, but my money would be on the dslr. And if you put the tc in, and put the e620 with say the bigma. I will again put the money on the dslr to have way better results at 900mm eq.

Not to take anything away form the FZ again, they are excellent cameras, but physic just can not be change. But for the money the FZ's are great performers. But they really do not match up if you level the playing field, though cost will be a huge advantage to the FZ for the bottom line.

These are the results I would expect with the e620 at 708mm x2 = 1416mm if you want to put thing on a level field, bigma and 1.4x tc

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...00mm-ec14.html

Or this with another 4/3 camera with the same setup

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...e-pl1-zoo.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 30, 2010 at 3:13 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Is that a 2x crop or a 2x tc on the e620 and the 70-300mm lens to give it the 1200mm eq? So if the 1200mm eq on the e620 was a pp crop. That just invalidated the whole comparison. Punching through the air and haze with a tc is always better then a pp 2x crop. As you do put more pixel on the target.

The other question that needs to be asked is what is the aperture setting for each shot.
E620 + 2X TC + 70-300mm combo
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:18 AM   #23

Something is awfully wrong with the e620 shot, it is no where near as good what they should be with the the ec-20. It seems really out of focus for a starter.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Something is awfully wrong with the e620 shot, it is no where near as good what they should be with the the ec-20. It seems really out of focus for a starter.
I agree ST, after several attempts for it to focus clearly this was the best it could achieve...the AF was slow and very inaccurate with the 2XTC on the 70-300mm...without the TC on it did OK...still I wasn't impressed with it's lack of abilities for the $$$ and the size & weight...must be something wrong with the AF or TC2X?...
I am not going to waste any effort trying to make something work that doesn't want to especially on a sunlit day like I took these photos...the AF on the FZ35 though restricted by the TC1.7X worked like a champ and the IQ is very acceptable for my own end use...these were all taken off tripod with the timer....E620 photos were taken on 12 sec timer...
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:41 AM   #25

A 2x tc will not focus on the with the 70-300m at f5.6 at 300 with a 2x tc. The camera will not have enough light for the AF to work. At F11.2 the phase detect will not work. And if you stop down to the sweet spot of the lens at f8, that would make the f stop with the tc at f16. Major problems for the camera there. With this info,this is really not a fair comparison. Also did you use a conversion lens tc or a stardard tc like the ec-20. That also makes a great difference in image quality. As the conversion lenses do a very bad job on the more

But without it, I would like to see what the fz does at 600mm to be fair with equal F-stop to avoid dof difference. That would make it a more valid comparison test.

Also, just base on what was posted, I think it really do a dis service for would be buyers, it will make them think that the FZ can out perform a dslr when things are match up properly. The Fz's are great with the reach, but match a dslr up with the proper lens,and the FZ will fall behind. Price you can not beat what you get with the FZ. And that is it's strong point against a dslr.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:39 PM   #26

Like the Thread stated "Quick Comparision" for Super Zoom shots...let the cards fall where they may and you are welcome to perform the comparision and repost anyway you see fair...
You can see I am shooting with a TC on the FZ35 also and the equivalent was 5Mp at 1142mm equivalent zoom on the last photo I posted and it still clearly shows the FZ35 w/ the Nikon TC-E17ED is better...the IQ is phenominal in good light...
These are with the LC-55 & E17ED 1.7X TC and the FZ35: although the quality is not as good as a DSLR the focal length is the key to getting these shots and AF is a must at long focal lengths...I could have gotten some of these shots with the 7D and the 100-400, but after walking/hiking two miles with the 7D & 100-400 it would not have been worth it to me...and some of them I couldn't have gotten at all due to the distance...The Blue Heron nest building was about 300-400 yds away and the Blue Heron fishing was a 100 yds away...actually when I was photoing the Blue Heron fishing a guy and his wife came up behind me and ask me what I was taking a photo of because he couldn't see the Heron so I let him look through the EVF and he was amazed even his wife had to have a look...lol...

P.S. or N.B. Anyone can take photos at a Zoo...out in the woods or bush it's another world...a DSLR and even a 100-400 are a lot shorter than one thinks...

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:48 PM   #27

like I said it is not a bad camera, but lets look at the photos I link from satire. If you want to see long distance ranges with the e620 with the long distance ranges. Those photos show how well it can actually shoot at 1400mm.

It might be a quick comparison, but it is not a good comparison really. You did say the 7d with the 100-400 will run rings around the fz. So with the e620 match up with the right lens setup.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think on of the shots of the white bird had a pf issue when you posted it in the past. Before you corrected for it.

The OOF shot with the e620 a very poor sample. And if a person considering the e620 would look at that shot. And not know any of the point I had question. They can very easily conclude that the e620 was a crappy camera. That is really doing a dis service to anyone that camera.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:08 PM   #28

Quote:
like I said it is not a bad camera, but lets look at the photos I link from satire. If you want to see long distance ranges with the e620 with the long distance ranges. Those photos show how well it can actually shoot at 1400mm.

It might be a quick comparison, but it is not a good comparison really. You did say the 7d with the 100-400 will run rings around the fz. So with the e620 match up with the right lens setup.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think on of the shots of the white bird had a pf issue when you posted it in the past. Before you corrected for it.

The OOF shot with the e620 a very poor sample. And if a person considering the e620 would look at that shot. And not know any of the point I had question. They can very easily conclude that the e620 was a crappy camera. That is really doing a dis service to anyone that camera.
Notice the E620 & 70-300 did fine without the 2XTC attached...there was another gent on the forum that tried the same setup and sent the @XTC packing...

Yes, the 7D and 100-400 can do a better job within a certain focal length but certainly not the 1000mm+ shots...for a mere $2000 USD more than the FZ35 setup don't you think it should? But the quality of the photos are not $2000 difference?

SOOC no PP:

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:17 PM   #29

I am not debating the price vs performance. That is hands down something that the FZ is great at with a conversion lens TC.

What I am saying is that the shot you posted was really a bad sample, and does not serve the board well. It was OOF, and just play to the promo of panasonic. When you put a ec-20 on the zukio 70-300mm and manual focus it properly. It will out perform the fz at 1200mm, and with the bigma and the ec-14 the e620 will out perform the fz out to 1400mm. That is the laws of physic. They really can not be changed.

I accept the limits of my cameras. I know my point and shoot will not match iq to my m4/3 or my dslr. And that my m4/3 can not match my dslr in very low light and in action. And that my aps-c dslr will not be able to match the 5dmkiii when I get it in low light or iq. It comes down to right to for the job base on what you are excepting.

I have said it over and over, for the bang for the buck the FZ is great. And with the TC is does a nice job with some long range reach.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:52 PM   #30

Understood, but why should anyone have to manual focus? the whole idea was to test the AF and IQ with AF priority...nothing was stated about manual focus...

The truth hurts sometimes and if I would have manually focused the 2XTC w/ 70-300 it could falsely mislead people into thinking this is a great setup...it is not...so I am not doing a misjustice...only posting the facts on the E620 + 2XTC + 70-300 = not a good combo, would you want somebody to mislead you into thinking it is a great setup and then you purchase it and it not AF correctly????

I think not...I was warned through another source here on the forums...call a "Spade a Spade" this combo does not AF properly...