Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:59 PM   #31

It is a tc, and a dslr phase detect will not work after f8 when a tc is mounted. That is why you need to mf it is the way the phase detect system works.

And I am not in debate that the tc and the 70-300 is a good combo. I would never mount a 70-300mm 4-5.6 on a tc. Any dslr user will tell you the same thing as it will not AF.

The truth is you are comparing apples to oranges. And you are not doing service with the oof shot.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:23 PM   #32

Yes, you are correct it wasn't designed to AF with the TC on the 70-300...manual focus only...I will take that photo out of the competition...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:42 PM   #33

Even removing the photo in question, the E620 shot at 600mm is the worse of them all.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:47 PM   #34

It not a good comparison, as we do not know how the fz 35 and 40 looks at similar range at 600mm.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:00 PM   #35

It does not matter what the FZ35/40 images look like at similar range. This is a rough comparison and it is obvious to me that the E620 under performs.

Now, this is what I don't get...the OP stated that the Oly shot is at 600mm. Well, the FZ100 at 24x is also at 600mm (24x25). However, the image looks much closer. So, either the OP's distance from the subject varied between shots or the 600mm equivalence between the E620 and the FZ100 is way off.

Tullio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:05 PM   #36

The ranges do not look the same to me, so it is apple to oranges still.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The ranges do not look the same to me, so it is apple to oranges still.
I agree with that. If the ranges are not the same, then you are really not comparing apples to apples.

Tullio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:32 PM   #38

It was maximum ranges compared as to what you could actually reach with focal length and IQ...if someone wants maximum reach and maximum IQ right off todays markey that is what you will get unless you want to spend $5000 to $10000 USD on a lens which is not practical for the average person....

The E620 cannot compare at the long focal lengths, but you are welcome to post some pictures proving me wrong... UNLESS you get the OLY 300mm f/2.8 lens and the 2X TC then you will get close THEN thats only $5000 for the lens!!!

This was intended for the average person only who only wants to spend less than a $1000 or even $500 USD...obviously you can't grasp this thought...sorry for that i am very simple minded...and glad of it....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:55 PM   #39

No need to get defensive. We all just want to best info for would be buyers visiting the forum.

I have stated repeatedly that the bang for the buck the fz with those conversion lenses are a great value. But I have linked photo of the e620 with the bigma and 1.4tc to show how the well it shoots at 1400+mm. That what the camera can do with the proper setup. Yes that is a 2500 dollar set up. But that is how the system was design to preform at its most optimal setting. The FZ optimal is just adding the conversion lens TC. And that is a bang for the buck 450 dollar options with the fz 40. But if you compare them at to the same range as the bigma, tc and e620. The IQ clearly goes to the dslr.

But tullio and I agree to put a fair comparison, you need equal range to compare, and I also add you need equal aperture for the dof differences. Then you will be comparing apples to apples.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...and I also add you need equal aperture for the dof differences. Then you will be comparing apples to apples.
Well, I don't think you need to go the extra mile with the aperture match. Otherwise, you also need to take into consideration the ISO setting as we all know IQ degrades as the ISO goes up, exposure, etc.. The thing is, we're just talking a very simple test here. What I don't understand is the difference between the E620 at 600mm (so the OP must have the 70-300mm on or the 40-150mm with a 2x adapter) and the FZ100 also at 600mm. The FZ shot appears much closer even though the FL is the same (600mm).

Tullio