Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:34 PM   #61

Thats where you are sadly misconstrued ST...you are assuming that I made this post fo the longest zoom DSLR setup available...and thats the way you think that you are the one that should control the outcome of this thread...and you are dead wrong...hook, line, and sinker...

Smallest, Lightest, Easiest to use, good IQ:
This post was made for what long zooms are available that can reach ~1000mm and still be small and light enough to backpack or monopod (Walking Stick) with for up to five miles or a steep climb to a better vantage point to get shots of nature and wildlife...it really had little to do with IQ to be honest, but ended up that way...it still proves the FZ35 with the TC-E17ED is the top setup for this and the IQ is only marginally behind the DSLR Zooms that could possibly make this trek without having a "Pack Mule" to carry them and the accessories...lol...

Two miles of carrying the Bigma the TC and a DSLR you would be needing oxygen instead of IQ...and also a Tripod...IQ is something you talk about with Long Zooms when they can be trucked to wherever you are using them or maybe the zoo...but like I said before the woods and the bush are a different story altogether...

I can just see you climbing up with me in Colorado with the Bigma-DSLR-TC-Tripod at 8000ft elevation...lol...to get a shot like this above our RV-Caravan a few 100 feet ...with the FZ35 & TC-E17ED...heres a little quick comparision again...it will give you an idea after a two mile hike in the next valley over from our camp, I went up and over the top to get a vantage point of our camp at Rainbow Falls OHV, Colorado...(the Bigma-TC-DSLR on this hike?)...that would be downright punishment on the ole body, I guess I could have strapped it to the Blue Heeler and let him carry it for me...lol...
Both of these standing in the same spot...ZS7 along for macros on the belt in the Ripoffs Holster...FZ35 w/ TC-E17ED mounted on Manfrotto Monopod (Walking Stick)...

ZS7 Wide:

FZ35 & TC-E17ED ???mm:

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:45 PM   #62

I insist that FZ35 is the top camera in the world, it is superior than all others!
jeryyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:02 PM   #63

With your hiking thing I think the FZ100 is the better tool then the old FZ35. It just out right reach further of 24x.

But the fz35 is a last generation camera with a measly 18x zoom and electronic zoom control, compared to the fuji with its full manual zoom and 30x zoom, and has equal or better IQ from some of the sample from the fuji forum. Especially at the long end of the zoom.

So ideally the HS10 may be the best camera out there currently. If reach vs iq is the main thing. And with a 2x TC 48x vs 60x of reach. 60x is just impressive with acceptable iq.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:21 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryyu View Post
I insist that FZ35 is the top camera in the world, it is superior than all others!
Here! Here! It is one of the best for what we do...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:24 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With your hiking thing I think the FZ100 is the better tool then the old FZ35. It just out right reach further of 24x.

But the fz35 is a last generation camera with a measly 18x zoom and electronic zoom control, compared to the fuji with its full manual zoom and 30x zoom, and has equal or better IQ from some of the sample from the fuji forum. Especially at the long end of the zoom.

So ideally the HS10 may be the best camera out there currently. If reach vs iq is the main thing. And with a 2x TC 48x vs 60x of reach. 60x is just impressive with acceptable iq.
Wrong again, I owned the HS10 ST it was actually with me on this trip...and no the IQ isn't up to the FZ35...but we did like the manual lens...that was great...it was heavy and cumbersome and the AF was slow and in low light really struggled...

You ever hear the old adage: "When your in a hole, quit diggin?"
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:35 AM   #66

I not digging a hole, I am just going with your premiss that reach vs iq it the important factor. If iq is king, then bigma and the 1.4tc. The only camera that can match that range is the hs10 with a 2x tc. Both reaches out to 1400+mm. Remember I am the one that has been saying IQ and reach goes to the dslr with the bigma and 1.4tc.

And IQ wise there is no care winner in iq between the HS10 and FZ35. All the image resources comparison under control condition, and a scientific way of comparing really do back up your claim that the fz35 is better then the hs10. Both are excellent cameras. One just has a killer zoom.

So if IQ is key, until you can post a Fz photo that can match satire's bigma tc combo photos. At 900 to 1400mm. You are just running in circles.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:23 AM   #67

FZ35 set at 3Mp EZ Zoom: 35x X 24mm X 1.7 = 1428mm equivalent
FZ35 set at 5Mp EZ Zoom: 28x X 24mm X 1.7 = 1142mm equivalent
FZ35 set at 8Mp EZ Zoom: 22x X 24mm X 1.7 = 898mm equivalent

And the Image Resource comparision is great, but the HS10 doesn't hold up that well...I looked at all of the photos prior to buying and the IQ looks great under those conditions, but in the real world the HS10 struggles as soon as the zoom gets long and it can't focus well at all...it does do good wide shots and good macros though...I missed a lot of hummingbird shots because the HS10 just would not AF...that was the deal breaker for me...

You are still diggin ST...you put a 2X TC on the HS10 and at max zoom you would miss more shots than you would get, due to slow/nonexistent/inaccurate AF...I did some testing myself with the TC-E17ED on the HS10...

ST if I tell you the moon is made out of cheese, you just go get some crackers...and bring a little wine...I like wine with my crackers and cheese...

Last edited by LTZ470; Sep 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:43 AM   #68

If I buy your premiss again with the hs10, those ranges are well past the 18x of the FZ when the HS10 runs into problems. But form all sample form eq range they run the same as most of the fuji guys post with exif data. So when you reach out past that it is a bounce. As the FZ35 can not reach that far without a TC.

The one that digging the hole honestly was you, as you did not know the limitation of your gear. Because you mounted a conversion lens TC on a system that was not design for it. If you had mounted a 2x TC on your 7d and 100-400, it would be just as bad. But the bottom lines is, you really should know the limits of your equipment. If you did, the second you saw that OOF shot you would have known what was wrong with it.

Up to now I have been polite and non insulting. If you wish to keep insulting me like you have for catching one of your mistakes. All that tells me is you are super sensitive about your gear. And that you should not post comparisons, as you can not take any legitimate criticism of your gear or the way you conducted the testing.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:04 AM   #69

Sorry ST if I step on your toes...you keep talking about cameras you don't own and have never shot, so thats why you keep diggin your own hole...I have shot all the cameras that you are talking about and also the 100-400 with a 2.0 and 1.4 TC manual focus...

So look if you keep saying you know the limits of this gear and have never shot it...NO I don't believe you and never will dude...until you post your own results and can TRUTHFULLY say that you have shot a HS10, FZ35 w/TC, 7D with 100-400...I knew that 100-400 was manual focus with 1.4TC and it really is sad that it won't AF for what the equipment cost...but it does well on the 70-200mm f/4L...you never shot that combo either....

You sound like an armchair quarterback...

ST you can pea on my leg just don't try and tell me it is "rain"....
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:47 AM   #70

If you have known that a tc on the 100-400 will only MF, then why did you not know that it would be the same with the 70-300. It is phase detect. All dslr have the same issue with tc pass F8. If you know that you had an issue, they why did you even waste peoples time with a completely OOF shot. Either you wanted to intentionally miss lead people, or you did not know your equipment. Which one is it?

You keep changing your story after each point when I follow along your premisses. Zoom vs IQ, IQ is king or fz iq is better then hs10. You just bounce form on thing to another and it is dizzying trying to keep up with you as you keep running in a circle.

I never said that the FZ was not a great camera, nor was the hs10. They both were very good performers when I tested them. I was thinking about a megazoom before I went with m4/3. And IQ wise the hs10 and fz35 are the top 2 megazooms on the market.

Truthfully you showed your true colors when you got personal, with insults and personal attacks. I am not being a arm chair quarterback. You are being a fanboy of the FZ over the top with what you posted.

We are at 70 post now, and it is not worth continuing this any longer.